A Whiny "Can You Change This Feature" General

Machaut

Mar 16, 2014
Users: Make suggestions and ask if features you don't like (be specific!) can be changed. Think out loud--even a bad idea might be the inspiration for someone else's good idea.

Admins: Please tell us whether or not stuff can be changed and/or whether or not you will actually consider changing it. Describe to us any major limitations we should be aware of before we start getting really unreasonable.

Mods: Gloat over your plausible deniability in the implementation of the new software and make statements like "Yeah me too, that CK is a big jerk who probably abuses his pets! Why'd they change this, I had no advance notice at all!"

I'll start.

No one likes thread necroing, which for the newbies is when someone posts in a thread that no one has posted in for a very long time. The "Similar Threads" feature beneath the reply box usually gives old threads that someone may very likely click onto, not notice the dates, and necro it.

This thread
, for example, refers users to two threads that died in 2012 and three more from 2013. Another thread takes us back as far as 2006. Instead of Similar Threads, I suggest having some sort of random assortment of active threads. The "Active Topics" widget/sidebar/thing covers it well enough--just something to say "Hey loser, stop whining about librulls/conservatards/etc. and check out this other thread". Or, maybe just remove the Similar Threads feature and don't replace it with anything.

Also the Active Topics thingy could be polluted by people replying to a single popular thread or one rather annoying poster spamming the board; to prevent this, would it be feasible to filter it so that a thread can only taken up one slot on Active Topics, with each individual user being limited to one slot at a time as well? Perhaps that one for users can wait until it becomes a problem, if at all.

Finally, as seen in this post, there are multiple usernames getting forced onto a second text line. Would it be possible to expand that particular column by just a few character widths? Alternatively, could you make so that characters can be displayed under the Online/Offline banners? None of the usernames on two lines I've seen would even need the second line if the few bumped characters could've used the space under the banner.

One more: When we quote a post, can you allow us to quote the quotes inside of that post as well? I believe that it adds much-needed context to many posts, and I found it very useful on the old site. While quotes inside of quotes from the old software were preserved, they are not the default here. As you can see below, they are still possible.

This is a quote.
This is a quote within a quote.
We have to go deeper.
Inception was a good movie.
Fin.

Last edited:
The "Similar Threads" feature beneath the reply box usually gives old threads that someone may very likely click onto, not notice the dates, and necro it.

Alright, this is getting a bit out of hand. I just came from the Politics front page, where we have two threads from 2012, and one each from 2010 and 2011. That's four threads from between two and four years ago that have been necroed in the last few hours alone, and people are already responding to comments made back when the thread was first created, expecting to get an actual response.

I think that something should be done about this before we're overwhelmed by zombie threads rising from their graves.

Forum List

Back