"A well regulated militia..."

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I read an article, that I cannot immediately locate, that posited the "well regulated militia" qualifier, rather than a blanket "Congress shall make no law" - came about because democrat slave owners in VA were concerned that were the right to bear arms absolutely unlimited, then their slaves had that right and might not want to stay on the democrat Plantation a minute longer.

I will take another search for the article

You are correct. It is one of the Anti-Federalist Papers and part of the written argument for and against the second amendment..The Slave states wanted to keep arms from the slaves that would most assuredly have allowed rebellions at that time.

That’s a stretch

If so, then it affirms the connection of militias to gun ownership

That’s a stretch

no it doesnt,,,all it means is that to have militias the people need to be well armed,,

we went through this the other day but you ran away because you couldnt back up your claims

That’s a stretch

In DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al. v. HELLER (Decided June 26, 2008). The SCOTUS ruled that the right to keep and bear arms was a personal right unrelated to being in a militia. If you want to learn more, read an article I posted on the USMB on August 6, 2015

Maine adopts constitutional carry
Conservatives, of course, have come to loathe Heller.

I read an article, that I cannot immediately locate, that posited the "well regulated militia" qualifier, rather than a blanket "Congress shall make no law" - came about because democrat slave owners in VA were concerned that were the right to bear arms absolutely unlimited, then their slaves had that right and might not want to stay on the democrat Plantation a minute longer.

Don't bother, the article is clearly devoid of merit, given the fact that there were no Democrats in the 18th Century.

1: At the time, the 2nd only applied to actions by the federal government; state governments were not so restricted
2: Slaves did not have any of the other rights of the people, so there's no weight behind the argument they would have the right to keep and bear arms.

That’s a stretch

In DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al. v. HELLER (Decided June 26, 2008). The SCOTUS ruled that the right to keep and bear arms was a personal right unrelated to being in a militia. If you want to learn more, read an article I posted on the USMB on August 6, 2015

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it's just commie propaganda, at the time slaves were considered property, not people, or even citizens for that matter. So any intimation that slave owners feared slaves getting any rights is ludicrous.

What the States feared was a government that would become like the monarchs in Europe and the militia phrase was to protect the States, so they would never be powerless against an out of control central government.

That’s a stretch

no it doesnt,,,all it means is that to have militias the people need to be well armed,,

we went through this the other day but you ran away because you couldnt back up your claims

What can you expect from a paid poster, he's doesn't worry himself with facts.

In some circles, 'well regulated' means any drunken asshole can bring whatever he/she/it/ mutant wants wherever he/she/it/mutants wants'. Literacy tests seem necessary, same with voting, frankly. Ownership should be limited to those who can legally vote at the least, and those who can legally vote limited to those who can pass basic civics tests.

MusketsArtillery.jpg

That’s a stretch

I don't know if that's true, but it should be. Real conservatives should disavow that ruling.

So what is the point of your post? That you can't find something?

See:

How Slave Owners Dictated the Language of the 2nd Amendment

Always happy to help you Frank, just ask.

That’s a stretch

Half-truth ^^^:

"Justice Scalia never saw his majority opinion in the District of Columbia v. Heller eliminating the government’s ability to regulate guns. “Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment,” Scalia cautioned, “nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools or government buildings or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

Taken from the Heller Decision.

Forum List

Back