A Wee Rant About Powerpoint

Discussion in 'Computers' started by wonderwench, Jan 6, 2004.

1. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent the past hour trying to edit a stupid diagram in Powerpoint.

Why is this product such a frelling pain in the ass?

Thank you for listening.

2. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know the feeling. I have 200MB of MS Office bloat on my computer that I only use to read Word documents. I wouldn't even have it if my main customer wasn't such a Microsoft whore. I can write a document in HTML/CSS in a plain text editor in a fraction of the time it takes to get it looking decent in Word. o_O

3. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't understand why it keeps auto-formatting crap when I have set up options not to do that.

:bleah:

Sadly, PPT is the official communication program at too many companies these days - it is difficult to avoid.

4. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame. I've seen the source code of Powerpoint files that have been converted to DHTML, and it's absolutely unreal how bloated it is compared to virtually identical hand-coded versions of the same presentations. The same is true of Word and Front Page. I'm no touch typist, but I've never had the slightest urge to use any sort of WYSIWYG editor instead of a text editor.

5. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's M$FT's whole marketing startegy. Add more useless features to create a rationale for an upgrade.

I personally like WYSIWIG applications. I just think they could be much better than the M$FT renderings.

6. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. I like the idea of WYSIWYG programs, but I prefer minimal features. This business of having three or four toolbars and wading through layers of nested menus to access basic features is a load of baloney. o_O

7. 5.10 leader

5.10 leader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably familiarity, but my guys use Ppt a lot for just taht purpose without any problems

It has to be said, though, that complicated diagrams are created outside Ppt and imported.

8. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can Powerpoint import diagrams from Visio? If so, that may be just the thing WW needs.

9. 5.10 leader

5.10 leader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't used visio for a few years now, but autocad, excel microstation etc work for us.

10. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My problem yesterday was editing a poorly designed diagram originated by someone with power PPT skills.

I ended up throwing it out and starting all over again.

I still think that M$FT makes horrible boatware.