A Warning: Greece Paying 19.7% Interest On Bonds

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
This is a pretty ugly warning about where we are headed if we don't reduce our debt.

Greece is now paying nearly 20% (that is credit card rate interest). By comparison, the U.S. net interest outlays in 2010 were about $200B. If the interest rate double, triples, quadruples, quintuples, do the math.

That is where we are headed - an ever increasing share of our GDP to just pay off the debt for past spending excesses.

Today’s Telegraph informs us that the yields on Greek, Spanish, Irish, and Portuguese debt climbed to record levels today, and that Irish bank debt has been cut to junk status. In the meantime, Finland’s political tilt rightwards in yesterday’s elections portend a possible veto of any plans by the European Central Bank to bail out these economies on terms unfavorable to the EC member countries paying the bills.

Greece is now paying 19.7% on 2 year bonds and there is a real fear of government default. This will put even more pressure on the other PIIGS, who are either on or already over the edge. The question then becomes which economies are triaged. Greece, Iceland, and Ireland are all moribund. Portugal is in the middle of a political crisis, and Spain is teetering on the edge. We are seeing the slow motion destruction of the economic and social programs that helped these economies enter the 21st century. It is hard to believe where these countries ranked economically and demographically even 25 years ago.

The Standard & Poor’s downgrade of U.S. debt is, in my opinion, similar to their downgrade of subprime debt in 2007. Too late and out of touch.

Economic Storm Warning « Matt's Meditations

We're already at the tipping point.

I agree, we ill get there soon enough.

the entire budget needs to be slashed 20%... from everything. No more sacred cows.

Federal outlays in 2008 (three years ago!) were approx. $3T. This year the estimate is $3.8T. This rapid growth over such a short period of time is the result of Obamanomics' Spending Binge.

Roll back outlays to 2008 levels, and then cut out programs from there. The population has not grown enough to warrant a more than 27% increase in spending in THREE YEARS.

This is a pretty ugly warning about where we are headed if we don't reduce our debt.

Greece is now paying nearly 20% (that is credit card rate interest). By comparison, the U.S. net interest outlays in 2010 were about $200B. If the interest rate double, triples, quadruples, quintuples, do the math.

That is where we are headed - an ever increasing share of our GDP to just pay off the debt for past spending excesses.

Today’s Telegraph informs us that the yields on Greek, Spanish, Irish, and Portuguese debt climbed to record levels today, and that Irish bank debt has been cut to junk status. In the meantime, Finland’s political tilt rightwards in yesterday’s elections portend a possible veto of any plans by the European Central Bank to bail out these economies on terms unfavorable to the EC member countries paying the bills.

Greece is now paying 19.7% on 2 year bonds and there is a real fear of government default. This will put even more pressure on the other PIIGS, who are either on or already over the edge. The question then becomes which economies are triaged. Greece, Iceland, and Ireland are all moribund. Portugal is in the middle of a political crisis, and Spain is teetering on the edge. We are seeing the slow motion destruction of the economic and social programs that helped these economies enter the 21st century. It is hard to believe where these countries ranked economically and demographically even 25 years ago.

The Standard & Poor’s downgrade of U.S. debt is, in my opinion, similar to their downgrade of subprime debt in 2007. Too late and out of touch.

Economic Storm Warning « Matt's Meditations

We will get there -- No doubt about it. The federal government has not made attempt at "real" cuts to the budget. The only solution they are currently using is to debase the currency. How much longer will our debtors allow this policy to continue. why would China continue to hold US dollars that lose millions in value every day? I am not holding cash.

Greece was bailed out. There is no one to bail us out. Our economy is far too large. This is social democracy at work. Whether we like it or not, we must now pay the price for this evil experiment. I'm afraid this means a greatly reduced lifestyle for most Americans.

Ohh might need to invest in treasury bonds in the future.

I suspect they won't keep up with the inflation.

And Greetings From Argentina - another object lesson in why philosophy and policy matter:

boedicca-albums-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3447-argentina-hong-kong.jpg

This story – and the failure to recognize what’s truly important – is doubly irritating to me since I’m in Buenos Aires for the Mont Pelerin Society meetings. Many of the speakers have focused on the challenges in Latin America, with a lot of attention focused on what went wrong with Argentina.

If I was forced to compress all the analysis into one brief answer, the problem is crony capitalism. Argentina’s economy, for all intents and purposes, is one giant Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac/Obamacare/General Motors/Goldman Sachs Obamaesque dystopia. Government has enormous influence over every major economic decision. It’s like being in the middle of Atlas Shrugged, as political connections are the way to get rich.

This type of approach is far worse than the Scandinavian welfare state. Yes, the official size of government is bigger in places such as Sweden, but the negative role of government intervention is far more pervasive in Argentina.

(snip)

I also put Hong Kong on this chart to give further evidence that policy matters. Argentina has pursued an Obama policy of government intervention and has declined. Hong Kong has practiced laissez-faire economics and now is one of the world’s richest jurisdictions.

This is a warning to America. There is nothing magical about the United States. If we copy Argentina (actually, a very bad combination of Argentine-style crony capitalism and Swedish-style high-tax redistribution), we will suffer similar consequences.

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.c...of-crony-capitalism-and-a-warning-to-america/

Last edited:
Greece isn't America. It isn't appropriate to compare the two. Greece will default. It is just a matter of time.

But ...

... if one wants to ponder the Big Thing, then a currency crisis would be it. We had a massive tech bubble, followed by an even more massive housing bubble. Each time, the policy response has been the same, only bigger by orders of magnitude. Yet, the policy makers don't seem to get it that they are creating massive secondary, tertiary, etc., which affects in asset markets and the real economy. It is a damning indictment of the economic discipline and the conventional policy.

And gold and silver go up every day.

Last edited:
Greece isn't America. It isn't appropriate to compare the two. Greece will default. It is just a matter of time.

But ...

... if one wants to ponder the Big Thing, then a currency crisis would be it. We had a massive tech bubble, followed by an even more massive housing bubble. Each time, the policy response has been the same, only bigger by orders of magnitude. Yet, the policy makers don't seem to get it that they are creating massive secondary, tertiary, etc., affects in asset markets and the real economy.

And gold and silver go up every day.

$1500 baby...wow.All I wanted was a quick 15% hit and run...... I bought at $998. .unreal, its what dreams and nightmares are made of alternatively. Frankly, I am thinking of liquidating 30%.

no, Greece isn't America and we are doing with our money what they cannot which is problematic at best as you infer.

I remember william's thread a few months ago on chinas housing bubble and well, look like it may get from there too.

The Standard & Poor’s downgrade of U.S. debt is, in my opinion, similar to their downgrade of subprime debt in 2007. Too late and out of touch

yuppity........

You need to know this. It’s going to happen again and it’s going to be much worse. This is the warning issued by the S&P credit rating agency about the chances of our financial markets melting down again. In a report released on Monday, S&P analysts said, "we believe the risks from the U.S. financial sector are higher than we considered them to be before 2008."

They also predicted that should the markets go by the wayside again, the bailout could cost taxpayers far more this time – as much as $5 trillion – that could create a real problem with our national debt. S&P analysts also warned that there’s a 1 in 3 chance that our nation’s credit rating could be downgraded from AAA status, and that could send shockwaves around the global financial system triggering a wide-scale economic catastrophe. Basically, we’d be telling other nations that we won't pay off our debts.

S&P is warning about a new financial meltdown - Will the US taxpayers pay a $5 trillion bailout this time? | Thom Hartmann - News & info from the #1 progressive radio show

and......

Economic analysts have recently touted an 'export led recovery,' pointing to increasing U.S. exports as a sign that we have turned the corner. While greater exports are good, they cannot be viewed in a vacuum, especially when imports have increased at a far greater rate. Even the president has bought into this mania, demanding a destructive trade pact with South Korea to boost exports.

One of the biggest causes of our trade deficit is our trade with China. Trade with China alone resulted in more than half of our entire trade deficit last year (which totaled $498 billion). This has cost the nation millions of jobs over the past decade. Economists estimate that a nation loses 9,000 jobs for each $1 billion it runs in trade deficits.

A big reason for this is not just lower Chinese labor rates, but a slew of dirty trade tricks China utilizes to game the international trading system. Government subsidies, value-added taxes, indigenous innovation policies (which require goods to be produced in China to be sold in China) and currency manipulation have given China several unfair advantages over its trading partners

Chinese Import Surge Overwhelming U.S. Economy | Economy In Crisis

made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

Increase taxes on the superrich

Cut spending on empire

Rethink FREE TRADE.

Do that and depending on how much you cut and how much taxes are increased, in about two decades the USA will again have a solvent budget and the quality of life for the average American will stop going down, and probably start rising again.

However we lack the political will to do these things.

Why?

Because the superwealthy like things the way they are.

The way things are, after all, is exactly the way that BIG CAPITAL designed things to be.

Increase taxes on the superrich

Cut spending on empire

Rethink FREE TRADE.

Do that and depending on how much you cut and how much taxes are increased, in about two decades the USA will again have a solvent budget and the quality of life for the average American will stop going down, and probably start rising again.

However we lack the political will to do these things.

Why?

Because the superwealthy like things the way they are.

The way things are, after all, is exactly the way that BIG CAPITAL designed things to be.

empire? :eusa_eh:...Oh, you mean the game "Empire"?

f853828fd7a0122740403110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Forum List

Back