A Warning For Republicans

Keynes was, of course, incorrect.
Europe was one example

So what is this, you just repeat the same talking point after its been disproven as if nothing ever happened? :tongue:

Of course, no such proof has been provided. In fact, you might be advised to peruse the CNN article above.

"...after its been disproven..."
Hardly.

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”
Cicero 55 BC

I mostly agree with your points. But I take issue here as this is not an accurate quote of cicero. It is a spurious internet meme from 2008. The original orater quote, still suspect to "telephone", being from 55 BC, is more in the lines of:

“The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall.”

The co-creator of the Cicero quote was congressman Passman in 1968. it would later be used again by Reagan in I believe 1978. Passman took it from Taylor Caldwell, page 483 of the 1965 Doubleday edition of the novel Pillar of Iron – where the central character is Cicero.

Anyway, carry on. Just thought I would point that out. It's still a good quote and pertains to Rome of the time, but it is spurious in accuracy.

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”
Cicero 55 BC

I mostly agree with your points. But I take issue here as this is not an accurate quote of cicero. It is a spurious internet meme from 2008. The original orater quote, still suspect to "telephone", being from 55 BC, is more in the lines of:

“The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall.”

The co-creator of the Cicero quote was congressman Passman in 1968. it would later be used again by Reagan in I believe 1978. Passman took it from Taylor Caldwell, page 483 of the 1965 Doubleday edition of the novel Pillar of Iron – where the central character is Cicero.

Anyway, carry on. Just thought I would point that out. It's still a good quote and pertains to Rome of the time, but it is spurious in accuracy.

I'll take your word for the attribution.
Since we agree on the premise....and, after all, that is the reason for he creation of the quote, this leaves nothing except for me to congratulate you on your scholarship.
Thank you for the correction.

Of course, no such proof has been provided.

Your assertion was that the economy of Europe was in bad shape in 1945 due to Keynesian policies. This requires, logically, that another far more likely and obvious cause does not exist to explain the economic problems of Europe at that time. It also requires, logically, that Keynesian policies not have presided over Europe after the recovery. Neither of these requirements has been met, and that has been demonstrated.

You have been proven wrong.

Of course, no such proof has been provided.

Your assertion was that the economy of Europe was in bad shape in 1945 due to Keynesian policies. This requires, logically, that another far more likely and obvious cause does not exist to explain the economic problems of Europe at that time. It also requires, logically, that Keynesian policies not have presided over Europe after the recovery. Neither of these requirements has been met, and that has been demonstrated.

You have been proven wrong.

Poor, sad, Lizzie.

I understand the psychological imperative for one who is so wrong, so often....as you are, to cling to any possible way of finding rectitude!

Poor you.
"This requires, logically, that another far more likely and obvious cause does not exist "
Wrong.

You assume it is one or the other, and I simply say that the poor condition required those in charge to settle on the best economic direction.
They were wrong....as are you.

The more open solutions would have been the correct path...as is being revealed at this late date.

An even better example of the error of big government central planning can be seen in East Germany.
BTW....are you still driving that Trabant?

Speaking of cars...
. “…Or, as the enterprise minister, Maud Olofsson, put it recently, “The Swedish state is not prepared to own car factories.” …But Sweden has a right-leaning government, elected in 2006 after a long period of Social Democratic rule, that prefers market forces to state intervention and ownership.”
Sweden Says No to Saving Saab - NYTimes.com

More bad news:
"A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 52% of Likely U.S. Voters now feel that, looking to the future, it’s more important for the Republican Party to work with the president rather than stand for what it believes in."
52% Say It

The new face of America.

We are the modern Ozymandias....

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
Shelley

Tell your children what we used to be, used to stand for....

"This requires, logically, that another far more likely and obvious cause does not exist "
Wrong.

It's not wrong. When you assert that A causes B, you must eliminate any possible C as an alternative cause.

You assume it is one or the other, and I simply say that the poor condition required those in charge to settle on the best economic direction.
They were wrong

No, that's NOT what you said. You said that in 1945-46, Keynesian economics had ALREADY damaged the European economy. If you're going to back away from that claim now, I can understand this, but please do so honestly.

An even better example of the error of big government central planning can be seen in East Germany.

East Germany was not operating under Keynesian theory but under Marxist-Leninist theory. You do understand the difference, don't you?

Here's what the evidence really comes down to. In the United States, we ran under Keynesian demand-side assumptions from the late 1930s until 1981. Prior to the Great Depression, we operated on classic laissez-faire capitalist assumptions. Since 1981, we have operated on a modified version of laissez-faire with more government spending, especially on the military. So if you want to determine how well Keynes' theories worked, the HONEST way to do this is to compare the ENTIRE period from the late 1930s through the 1970s to a comparable length of time both before and after.

The DISHONEST way to do it is to cherry-pick the worst period under Keynes' theory, which would be the late 1970s in this country -- although the example you used, Europe immediately after World War II, definitely tops that for cherry-picking -- and arguing from that as if all the other time did not exist.

Forum List

Back