A Warmist has Declared the Science settled, He Lost

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
But that is not what's interesting in this article. What I find even more interesting is that this mans goal is possibly doable. Partnering with sceptics to fix those things that do need fixing and that both sides agree on. Interesting. While I don't agree on the need to control CO2 emissions the stewardship of the Earth is an important cause, use, not abuse.

"The battle to get Americans to accept the science behind climate change has been “lost,” an expert at the Aspen Environment Forum declared Wednesday, but there's still a way to win the war to reduce carbon emissions.

Jonathan Foley, director of the Institute on the Environment at the University of Minnesota, said leaders on climate change need to concentrate on changing behavior in ways that appeal to people — and also happen to reduce carbon emissions.

“Climate scientists — stop talking about climate science. We lost. It's over. Forget it,” Foley told a surprised audience during a featured panel discussion on the last day of the three-day forum.

He said he likes nothing more than addressing conservatives and trying to win them over. “I like to walk into rooms like that and say, ‘Forget about climate change. Do you love America?'

“And they'll go, ‘Yeah.' I'll say, ‘Doesn't it kind of tick you off that we borrow money from China, send it to Saudi Arabia to prop up this energy industry ... You're pushing a lot of buttons. They agree on that,” Foley said.

Environmentalists and climate deniers should stop fighting and take action they agree on, even if they approach the issue from different sides, he said.

“The skepticism around climate change has created a trap for us,” Foley said. “Stop digging yourself into the hole. Get out of it. Talk about it a different way. Reframe the issue.”

The Environment Forum was presented by The Aspen Institute and National Geographic Magazine. It attracted more than 300 attendees along with scores of speakers in its third year. The first two days featured dire assessments of various environmental maladies, from the oceans acidifying to the challenge of feeding a hungry planet when the population is supposed to surge from 7 billion to 9 billion by 2050.

Wednesday was designed to look more at solutions. Foley was part of a panel assessing how behavior can be changed to encourage stewardship of the planet in a time of “anthropocene,” or the time when humans are the dominate evolutionary force on Earth.

The key to cultivating that change is stopping the battle over whether or not science backs the concept of climate change, Foley said. A handful of audience members challenged the wisdom of his strategy, insisting that people must be educated about the details of climate change science before they truly get behind efforts to reduce carbon emissions.

Foley stuck to his claims. Discussing changes in global mean temperature makes people's eyes glaze over and does little to help them understand the issue, he said. “Talk about things that matter — food, water, your way of life, the place you live, that kind of thing.

“I'm not saying ignore the issue. Turn it around, reframe it,” Foley persisted.

About 10 percent of Americans will align with you if you rally around climate change, he later added, but 70 percent will be on your side if you talk about energy security.

The stakes in the debate are too high for bickering. Foley said meaningful action must be taken to ease carbon emissions in less than a decade.

Another panel member, Rev. Richard Cizik, president of New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good, agreed that the war on climate change must be waged in ways people can understand.

People will only change behavior when they are uncomfortable with something happening in their lives or the world — and if they're given a solution that works.

“You have to be really careful because if you give them an answer that doesn't work and doesn't resonate, then you're in trouble,” Cizik said.

[email protected]

Read that one earlier today.

What the hack "scientist" in question is doing is what virtually all progressive Fabians do when they lose the argument on the facts; pander to their politics.

"Gee, if we stop gullible warming with more big gubmint, then more of those smelly Mexicans will stay on their side of the border!"

They're the most duplicitous and disingenuous dirtbags on the planet.

They're not surrendering, they're can't get in through the non-existent "Science" so they're going to try another way to get more control over energy production.

The gun misfired so they grab a knife. I don't think their intended victim (the USA) should relax.

• Banned
I agree wholeheartedly with everything said here. They are not backing down and they clearly are trying to rephrase their argument so the masses "get it". So now the question is how can we use this?

• Banned
We can use it by not falling for it, and pointing out to others how they're being misled and deceived by cynical appeals to their emotions and politics.

Dude,

That goes without saying, but I am hoping something stronger can come from his admission.

Read that one earlier today.

What the hack "scientist" in question is doing is what virtually all progressive Fabians do when they lose the argument on the facts; pander to their politics.

"Gee, if we stop gullible warming with more big gubmint, then more of those smelly Mexicans will stay on their side of the border!"

They're the most duplicitous and disingenuous dirtbags on the planet.

Isn't that what the deniers do when they misrepresent the meaning of STOLEN emails?

BBC: Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Phil Jones: Yes

BBC News - Q&A: Professor Phil Jones

LOL!!! Touting the same guy you and others have been bashing for "poor data"!!! WHAT HYPOCRITES!!! Did you think we wouldn't remember, Frances?!?! :lol:

But but but but but but what happened to "Total vindication"?

What happened to sticking to the subject, Frances?

The battle to get Americans to accept the science behind climate change has been “lost,”

Dear idiot, not the science but the propaganda war.

I realise you have no idea they are different things.

But but but but but but what happened to "Total vindication"?

What happened to sticking to the subject, Frances?

The subject is that AGW is a fiction and even your Messiah now says so

Who would that be? I came to this conclusion based on my own knowledge of science. Don't put this on me. If anyone is doing this based on what someone says, it's you, because you hate Al Gore. Beyond that all your complaints are no more than a Yorkie nipping at the ankle of a giant.

BBC: Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Same lie, Different thread! :cuckoo:

You are a perfect example of how CON$ know they are lying and only pretend to be too stupid to know they are lying. You are why no honest person trusts CON$. I nailed you on this same lie on several other threads, so you know he was saying the period of TIME from 1995 to the present was not a LONG ENOUGH PERIOD OF TIME to be STATISTICALLY-SIGNIFICANT not that there was not enough warming to be statistically-significant.

B - Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

JONES - Yes, but only just. I also calculated the trend for the period 1995 to 2009. This trend (0.12C per decade) is positive, but not significant at the 95% significance level. The positive trend is quite close to the significance level. Achieving statistical significance in scientific terms is much more likely for longer periods, and much less likely for shorter periods.

I know you want science, history adn facts to go away.

Bad info in = bad decisions out

Same lie, Different thread! :cuckoo:

You are a perfect example of how CON$ know they are lying and only pretend to be too stupid to know they are lying. You are why no honest person trusts CON$. I nailed you on this same lie on several other threads, so you know he was saying the period of TIME from 1995 to the present was not a LONG ENOUGH PERIOD OF TIME to be STATISTICALLY-SIGNIFICANT not that there was not enough warming to be statistically-significant.

B - Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

JONES - Yes, but only just. I also calculated the trend for the period 1995 to 2009. This trend (0.12C per decade) is positive, but not significant at the 95% significance level. The positive trend is quite close to the significance level. Achieving statistical significance in scientific terms is much more likely for longer periods, and much less likely for shorter periods.

Ahh but edthecynic this was addressed. The only posters so far PROVEN on this thread are old fraud and konrad, the others, and yes of course we are guilty of it as well from time to time, are merely making errors. konrad and old fraud are proven to intentionally lie. There is a huge difference.

Now as far as this little quote, any statistician will tell you a CL of 95% is not usable in any way by an exact science. It would be an acceptable CL for making a bet in the stock market or at the poker table, but in science....not one bit.

By the way that means it is not accurate enough to make any kind of decision that lives could depend on.

Forum List

Back