A Voice from the Past.

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPt7xGx4Xo&feature=relmfu]YouTube - President Reagan 1981 Inaugural Address[/ame]

Just a little voice from the past to perhaps lend a small voice to the future. While some may not like the man to this day, perhaps the belief that we are still a great nation if only we work together, then perhaps there is a bright future afterall.

I don't understand now and I didn't understand then why great speakers are so few and far between. Reagan had a gift. I could write speeches like that, and give them..I don't get why so few politicians or just people aren't capable of it. I think it must be because people have stopped having lofty ideals, and have stopped believing that there is merit in freedom, there is honor in protecting it, and it's okay to set a good example and be a strong voice in the world.

I don't understand now and I didn't understand then why great speakers are so few and far between. Reagan had a gift. I could write speeches like that, and give them..I don't get why so few politicians or just people aren't capable of it. I think it must be because people have stopped having lofty ideals, and have stopped believing that there is merit in freedom, there is honor in protecting it, and it's okay to set a good example and be a strong voice in the world.

Reagan Belived in America, The founders the Republic...he didn't go on a world Tour to dennounce it, and apologize for it.

Allie, I for one tend to think that our nation is just as strong and capable as it once was. I do believe however that the kinds of people that provide the inspiration be they a Reagan or a Kennedy, etc. are still out there somewhere, they are now lost in a high pitch drone of noise. Just take for example the young generation of Amerricans who have literally exhausted themselves in places like Iraq and Afghanistanand have done so with merit and with quiet honor. I am proud of each and every single one of them. We NEED these Americans NOW more than ever to step forward and have the courage to lead and tell the ones who have their own interests to sit down. We are still a great nation , it just takes the courage to stand up. I remain hopeful of the bright future our nation has, but it is up to each of us to see to it that the large voices of the past are heard once more in the new voices of today .. Just a thought.

Allie, I for one tend to think that our nation is just as strong and capable as it once was. I do believe however that the kinds of people that provide the inspiration be they a Reagan or a Kennedy, etc. are still out there somewhere, they are now lost in a high pitch drone of noise. Just take for example the young generation of Amerricans who have literally exhausted themselves in places like Iraq and Afghanistanand have done so with merit and with quiet honor. I am proud of each and every single one of them. We NEED these Americans NOW more than ever to step forward and have the courage to lead and tell the ones who have their own interests to sit down. We are still a great nation , it just takes the courage to stand up. I remain hopeful of the bright future our nation has, but it is up to each of us to see to it that the large voices of the past are heard once more in the new voices of today .. Just a thought.

The voices are there...standfast...they will emerge. Some are already in DC, some outside... Allen West...Herman Cain...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB9ZmBX_PJg]YouTube - General Douglas MacArthur Thayer Speech (full) "duty honor country"[/ame]

Here is another

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw]YouTube - JFK - We choose to go to the Moon, full length[/ame]

We choose to go to the moon!!... the best part of the his is when he say's this.. NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD....

There are a lot of good people out there. They get slimed or ignored in the corporate media.

Notice how old all your examples are, though.

yeah, Allen West is great, and Sarah Palin too...and they are jeered at by the press.

Maybe we need another actor! Reagan had the ability to make people laugh, and to say incredible things just off the cuff,as well as put out some absolutely incredible speeches.

Palin's not good at that, and she has an unfortunate speaking voice that grates on people's nerves.

Of course, JFK's voice was awful, too.....

I dunno. I hope that we're still great and still have wonderful leaders. But honestly, it seems it's been so long since we've done anything of note, since we've collectively done the right thing..I don't even remember the last time any military action we took ended in a positive manner. We don't win anymore, we don't ever set things to rights. We just sort of stir the water a little then bail out without having put any effective, positive, and long-term changes, cuz our politicians are so fucking concerned about the votes instead of focusing on doing the right thing with their time in office.

yeah, Allen West is great, and Sarah Palin too...and they are jeered at by the press.

Maybe we need another actor! Reagan had the ability to make people laugh, and to say incredible things just off the cuff,as well as put out some absolutely incredible speeches.

Palin's not good at that, and she has an unfortunate speaking voice that grates on people's nerves.

I dunno. I hope that we're still great and still have wonderful leaders. But honestly, it seems it's been so long since we've done anything of note, since we've collectively done the right thing..I don't even remember the last time any military action we took ended in a positive manner. We don't win anymore, we don't ever set things to rights. We just sort of stir the water a little then bail out without having put any effective, positive, and long-term changes, cuz our politicians are so fucking concerned about the votes instead of focusing on doing the right thing with their time in office.

Its mostly because of how divided we are as a nation Politics today have devolved into nothing more than partisan talking points and the people who speak have little understanding of what they are saying.

Today we see our own President attacking the people of our Nation he's attacks our history while traveling about the world apologizing for our nation. Today we see a President who acts as a divider and not a uniter sad testimony indeed to how far our nation has fallen.

Under Clinton we as a nation witnessed an immoral man man stand before us and question what the meaning of 'IS" is while dallying with an intern in the Oval office.

Our Nation stands Divided how long before we come together again is anyone guess but it won't be in the near term.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINKHAU-stQ]YouTube - Medal of Honor Winner Giunta: Comrades 'Gave Every One of Their Tomorrows'[/ame]

Allie, they are still out there, these American's the young man in the video is a very good example. The types of people that regardless of background, inspire others to great things. You know, I sit here sometimes and watch the news, and see that when our nation does accomplish a great task, such with the Mars Rovers or with comming to the aid of Earthquake victims, etc. etc. and the silent heros that perform those tasks, that always take a back seat to the latest gadget for XBox, or ipad or whatever it is, or is drowned out by a media bent more on selling itself than celebrating the accomplishments of this great nation you have your answer. The young man in the video was just a blip on the media stage as are the thousands who like the young man said " gave all their tomorrows" for this nation and are replaced by whats happening with Lindsey Lohan. Yes, those Americans are still there, and it's up to us to draw our inspiration from them as the media has gone on to other things. I do agree that some of those speakers from the past would not have lasted very long in todays world and would have quickly been torn apart for various reason(s). It's why I have said, that until such time we as a nation come together to solve the problems that we created together they will NEVER get solved. I do however remain hopeful, that our nation has a bright future and the young people like this young man give me hope.

Forum List

Back