A victory for Virginia women, "personhood" bill defeated

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
In a stunning turn of events, the Virginia Senate has voted 24-14 to scuttle a bill that would have given fertilized eggs the same legal rights as people.

Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, proposed that House Bill 1, which had passed the Senate Education and Health Committee earlier today on an 8-7 party line vote, be sent back to the committee and carried over to the 2013 legislative session for further discussion and deliberation.

Then Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the Republican leader of the Senate, rose to support the motion, saying that the issues raised by the bill are more complex and far-reaching than previously thought and merit further study.

The vote effectively kills the bill for the year.

UPDATE: State Senate scuttles 'personhood' bill | GoDanRiver.com

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat. I see liberals all the time being vegetarians because they dont want to have animals killed for food but these same people have no problems killing a child in abortions. Once a person has a heartbeat they are alive!! So unless you have the abortion up to 12 days past conception your killing that child. They say things to down play it .. They have so many forms of birth control these days there is NO excuse for unplanned pregnancies. Abortion should not be a form of birth control. I only believe in them if you have been raped, the health of mother or the baby is going to die period!!

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat. I see liberals all the time being vegetarians because they dont want to have animals killed for food but these same people have no problems killing a child in abortions. Once a person has a heartbeat they are alive!! So unless you have the abortion up to 12 days past conception your killing that child. They say things to down play it .. They have so many forms of birth control these days there is NO excuse for unplanned pregnancies. Abortion should not be a form of birth control. I only believe in them if you have been raped, the health of mother or the baby is going to die period!!

Only the personhood amendment was sent back to committee. The ultrasound bill is still alive.

If a libtard had a brain they would have it out and playing with it. I think it is totally satan's influence when tree huggers will do anything to save some plants or animals and then it's ok to murder unborn babies. Idiots.

In a stunning turn of events, the Virginia Senate has voted 24-14 to scuttle a bill that would have given fertilized eggs the same legal rights as people.

Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, proposed that House Bill 1, which had passed the Senate Education and Health Committee earlier today on an 8-7 party line vote, be sent back to the committee and carried over to the 2013 legislative session for further discussion and deliberation.

Then Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the Republican leader of the Senate, rose to support the motion, saying that the issues raised by the bill are more complex and far-reaching than previously thought and merit further study.

Another notch in the belt of the leftists and their culture of death.

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat.

It required a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very much an invasive procedure. They took the legislation too far. This is yet more proof that conservatives are full of shit when they talk about respecting limited government and getting the government out of people's lives.

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat.

It required a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very much an invasive procedure. They took the legislation too far. This is yet more proof that conservatives are full of shit when they talk about respecting limited government and getting the government out of people's lives.

Out of their lives and into their vaginas.

I agree but it also shows that liberals are full of shit when they talk about needing government intervention and using government to enforce what they believe is right and necessary. It's not so cool if the government is trying to enforce something you don't agree with. Hypocritical people on all sides as always.

Rick Santorum opposes insurance-paid screenings for birth defects, saying they'll lead to abortions
February 22, 2012

WASHINGTON — First birth control, now prenatal testing? Once again a fact of life for many American women has become a jarring issue in the presidential race.

Unlike the conservatives in Virginia,

Republican candidate and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum is making free screenings for birth defects part of his attack on President Barack Obama’s health care law. Santorum charges that the law requiring insurers to cover the tests is a way to encourage more women to have abortions that will “cull the ranks of the disabled in our society.”

Obama re-election campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith called Santorum’s remarks “misinformed and dangerous.” She said the tests help bring about safer deliveries for mothers and babies.
Santorum is attempting to impose himself as a 3rd party in a decision that is usually reserved for a women and her doctor.

Unlike the conservatives in Virginia, Santorum is opposed to any proceedures that would allow women to make informed decisions concerning the health of their fetus.

Last edited:

Protecting an innocent unborn child is invasive,but killing same child is not??

You got some real fucked up ideas.

The Republicans in Virginia just barely get a majority and they go wild. They have also passed a law to allow someone to buy more than one gun a month. The GOP overreaching again!

A transvaginal US is invasive. Other than that, this bill had larger problems. It's also ballot box poison which is why it is dead today.

BTW, this bill would have made IUDs, a type of BC, illegal.

You do realize that regardless of whether the bill passes, fertilized eggs of humans are humans as well. You are a fertilized egg. There is absolutely no reason not to consider you one, since it's true. According to your logic, that means we should be able to end your life.

You're lucky, however, that I would never actually talk to you in that regard. It's a shame your offspring are not.

I dont have a problem with them studying further. The issue won't go away. States are going to exercise their Constitutional rights.

Another notch in the belt of the leftists and their culture of death.

I wouldn't give them the notch. Just because it's not being voted on now doesnt mean it wont be.

The Republicans in Virginia just barely get a majority and they go wild. They have also passed a law to allow someone to buy more than one gun a month. The GOP overreaching again!

Why would you think the government could prevent you from buying more than one gun a month?

You do realize that regardless of whether the bill passes, fertilized eggs of humans are humans as well. You are a fertilized egg. There is absolutely no reason not to consider you one, since it's true. According to your logic, that means we should be able to end your life.

You're lucky, however, that I would never actually talk to you in that regard. It's a shame your offspring are not.

I dont have a problem with them studying further. The issue won't go away. States are going to exercise their Constitutional rights.

I don't think blastocysts are the same as humans. Sorry.

It's also funny because they claim to be all about knowledge...

Except when it comes to providing knowledge to victims of the abortion industry. THOSE losers they want kept in the dark, because they need them to die, die, and die some more to further their dream of an earth completely (well, almost) devoid of humans. Certainly devoid of those pesky poor minorities, at any rate, that are cluttering up the cities...and those annoying poor people living in the country, blocking their views when they're fly fishing during vacation...

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

An egg is not a chicken.

Only the personhood amendment was sent back to committee. The ultrasound bill is still alive.

No. Or not in the more controversial form.

Bob McDonnell backs away from controvertial abortion bill | WJLA.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back