A very sad centennial this month

Articles: A Grim Centennial: The Russia That Could Have Been

What if the Kerensky government survived? A far different and better world today. What brought down The Provisional government was staying in WWI.
Existence Precedes Essence

Czarist Russia would have been conquered by Germany; the same goes for the Kerensky government. Russia would have become like Poland: a doormat. Its empire would have been split up into many small and powerless states.

What if the Kerensky government survived? A far different and better world today. What brought down The Provisional government was staying in WWI.

Czarist Russia would have been conquered by Germany; the same goes for the Kerensky government. Russia would have become like Poland: a doormat. Its empire would have been split up into many small and powerless states.

That is very debatable. And you are assuming the Nazis come to power with an early Russian exit.

to be honest, I don't think the Kerensky government stood a chance anyway. shit was just too hectic. I do think that if the whites were more united and had better propaganda skills they might have been able to beat the Bolsheviks, or at least carve out a piece of Asian Russia for themselves

That is very debatable. And you are assuming the Nazis come to power with an early Russian exit.
Fixed Minds Presume What They Assume

You are assuming I was referring to World War II. Either the Czar or Kerensky would have led to Germany crippling Russia in World War I. If the Allies still won, they would have split up Russia like they split up the Austrian Empire.

to be honest, I don't think the Kerensky government stood a chance anyway. shit was just too hectic. I do think that if the whites were more united and had better propaganda skills they might have been able to beat the Bolsheviks, or at least carve out a piece of Asian Russia for themselves

If the Kerensky government pulled out of the war when they took power their chances would have been at least 50/50. Why? The Germans were holding Lenin at the time and when the Provisional government said they would stay in on the side of the British etc Lenin said he would pull Russia out of the war. Lenin went back to Russia and had by some accounts 5 million in gold to finance his Revolution. The same offer was reportedly made to Kerensky and he said no. Now if Kerensky had taken the German offer Lenin would still be a prisoner in Germany, not Russia so no central Bolshevik leadership, it would be fractured between Trotsky and to some extent Stalin. Between the popular move of getting Russia out of the war, 5 million in gold and no Lenin leading the Bolsheviks Kerensky's chances of survival increase dramatically. No certainty of course, there would be fighting for control of Russia but with the aforementioned reasons Kerensky might well have survived.

If the Kerensky government pulled out of the war when they took power their chances would have been at least 50/50. Why? The Germans were holding Lenin at the time and when the Provisional government said they would stay in on the side of the British etc Lenin said he would pull Russia out of the war. Lenin went back to Russia and had by some accounts 5 million in gold to finance his Revolution. The same offer was reportedly made to Kerensky and he said no. Now if Kerensky had taken the German offer Lenin would still be a prisoner in Germany, not Russia so no central Bolshevik leadership, it would be fractured between Trotsky and to some extent Stalin. Between the popular move of getting Russia out of the war, 5 million in gold and no Lenin leading the Bolsheviks Kerensky's chances of survival increase dramatically. No certainty of course, there would be fighting for control of Russia but with the aforementioned reasons Kerensky might well have survived.
Stalin and Trotsky would have probably been infighting to the extent that the Bolsheviks would have fractured and some type of menshilvik/provisional govt alliance could have been established(but stalin being stalin, understood shifting alliances so that's a wild card)

Idk about this Kerensky stuff.

Did they do pierogies or no?

Have no idea. Just wondering what the rest of the 20th century would have looked like with no Communists or Nazis.

No sense in wondering what if something didn't happen that happened.

Alternative history is useful because we always face alternatives in the present. For example, what if we had seized Arab oilfields in 1973 because of the successful jihadist economic warfare that started? Inflation and recession would have been mild since then and terrorism would have withered because of lack of financing. So that's what we should be doing now.

Forum List

Back