A very important Question

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by akiboy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a very important question to all Americans.

Most of you want your troops to leave Iraq. I read the newspapers and follow polls and i notice that most Americans want Bush to quit Iraq.
    Bush is always the "Most hated man" or the "Most hated personality" blah , blah....

My question is:- Why did the AMerican people allow Bush to invade Baghdad in the first place ? Wasen't the US led invasion destined to protect present and future American interests in the Gulf and not put American lives at stake ?

I know that this topic has been discussed a 1000 times on USMB but till now there is no clear cut answer. Most Americans want the troops back but your so called "warmongering" President (This isn't my view but the views of most people around the globe who keenly follow the politics and affairs of the only superpower in the world) wont call the soldiers back home.

ANother surprise was Bush's re election. I mean I just don't understand the American sentiments. First you vigorously protest against the man who led your troops to war and then re - elect him.

This might sound a very common question but:-

What do the AMerican people actually expect from their President on Iraq and AFghanistan ?

I still have no clear cut answer to the above posed question and thus I have written this post.

AKshay

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Don't believe in the media stories. They do not reflect the truth. Private ownership of media leads to attempts by owners to pursue thier own agenda.

3. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    In some cases we find the mainstream media pursuing its own socio-political agenda, but usually it boils down to a simple truth: conflict sells. So the media prefers to focus only on conflict and other sensational stories in an effort to "scoop" their competition and garner the valuable viewers.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You might go as far to say that the media purposely foments conflict for profit.

5. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Absolutely!

6. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

I am not only talking about the American media but the media of other countries as well. Eg:- Britain , Other pro-American countries , India etc.

And secondly all the stuff that the media write about Bush and his invasion of Iraq is hogwash ? And I still haven't understood the American mind on Iraq and Bush's invasion.

7. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    And you probably never will. There are people like me who believe that if Bush had given a different answer than what he gave, the war in Iraq would've been supported. And then there are the people who just are against it because Bush is Republican. The list goes on.

8. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    And then there are people, that are just plain STUPID.

Others, that are appeasers, others still in the French mold, they raise the surrender flag at every opportunity.

You've got to realize, America is a different country than it was fifty years ago, made up of a different type of person.

There is a growing population of instant gratification people, that have taken over the media, and many other walks of life. Combine THEM with the folks, that salute the flag, that fly's for those, that feel they are NEVER at fault, that its ALWAYS someone else's responsibility, that life is a video game, and war's are fought on X-Box's, with no casualties.:eusa_wall:

Don't look to the United States to bail anyone's bacon out, we're much to busy fighting among ourselves.

Its enough to make an old veteran cry.:(

9. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

In order to understand why Americans initially supported the war in Iraq, you need to understand the way the war was initially presented some 4 years ago.

At that point, we all felt vulnerable after the attacks on 9/11 and felt the need to retaliate one way or another. If you review the press conferences that Bush gave prior to the Iraq War, the entire WMD issue takes center stage. All you heard for those few months was that Saddam had weapons and he was going to use them. He preyed on our fears and led us into war and most congressmen bought it and voted for it (many of whom could not risk the chance of being labeled "unpatriotic" because we have a fetish with that word in this country whenever someone disagrees with a pro-war stance). It's sad that so many lives have to be lost in the name of politics.

Bush's reelection, if you look to the 2004 results, boiled down to two factors: moral values and the war on terror. Sadly (in, of course my opinion), this country is fairly conservative as a whole. Most Americans wet themselves when they hear gay marriage and alternatives to the nuclear family. Bush, without any shred of doubt, supports the traditional, judeo-christian values along with many of those who voted for him.

While he has fucked up Iraq big time, it wasn't as bad in 2004. His resolve to continue and emerge victorious in the war was seen as a positive characteristic at the time...he wasn't going to "cut and run." People respected that and saw John Kerry as a loose cannon who really had no plan, or at least one that they could understand. Bush was straightforward with his goals and also, he unfairly tarnished John Kerry's military record. That's pretty much why he was reelected.

I hope that makes some sort of sense to you...you kinda had to be in this country at the time to truly make sense of the whole thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

A picky but possibly a telltale point. You state
    I think this interpretation is erroneous . I think many who supported military intervention did NOT see it as a retaliation as much as they saw it as the US finally engaging in the inevitable war. Our enemies had NO intention in resolving anything through diplomacy. They still don't. They can't even resolve thie OWN religious differences peacefully.
    The United States has given the Iraqis every opportunity to live free from the totalitarian oppression of Saddam. They won't and the destabilizing effect of thier neighbors isn't helping any.
    Blaming the Bush administration for the Sunni, Shia, Ba'athist hatred is silly.