A US-India comeback?

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
How many comebacks are left? :)

---

THE UNITED STATES has a major opportunity this month to return to a close security and economic partnership with India — a priority of the last three American presidents. The new Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, signaled he wants to get beyond the problem-ridden last few years between Delhi and Washington by inviting President Obama to be the “chief guest” at India’s elaborate Republic Day celebrations on Jan. 26. This simple but important symbolic gesture may kickstart the revival both countries have been looking for.

Modi is seeking expanded ties between the world’s two most powerful democracies with one, major purpose in mind. His electoral mandate is to rejuvenate India’s sluggish economy. With 1.2 billion people and a burgeoning middle class, Modi is going all out to raise India’s GDP growth rate from an anemic (for India) 4.5 percent to over 7 percent for the years ahead.

At an Aspen Strategy Group meeting in Delhi I attended this past weekend, Indian government and business leaders made a persistent pitch for greater US investment capital and trade to help India emerge from its economic doldrums. And, in the western Indian state of Gujarat on Sunday, Secretary of State John Kerry challenged both countries to increase trade fivefold in coming years. In his first year in office, Modi has launched a New Deal-type crusade to reform the top-heavy Indian economy, clear away burdensome state regulations, and free the entrepreneurial spirits of the Indian people.

Modi is also engineering a massive infrastructure renewal by financing major investments in railroads ($100 billion alone), ports, roads, energy, and education. Indian planners say they need to build a city the size of Chicago annually to accommodate a rapidly urbanizing population. But a new wave of foreign investment won’t happen unless Modi pushes real reform measures through Parliament.

India and the United States are also drawn together by a common interest in countering terrorist and cyber threats. They are also focused on a newly assertive China under Xi Jinping’s leadership. Indian leaders complain that China continues to contest their disputed land border and is executing a “string of pearls’’ naval strategy by establishing access rights to ports in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Pakistan to hem in the Indian Navy in the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea.

This aggressive Chinese strategy has prompted India to seek closer naval and air cooperation with the United States as well as Japan, Australia, and the Philippines. Concerns about China will unite India and the United States in common cause for the decade to come. Both want to engage China economically and on issues such as climate change and proliferation. But neither is willing to see China dominate the critical sea lanes of the Indian Ocean and South China Sea through which a major share of the world’s energy and container traffic are shipped. India wants the US military to remain a major presence in the region. And many senior Indians argue that the United States should reconsider plans to remove its military from Afghanistan by the end of 2016 lest the Taliban be unleashed.

Obama will be received warmly in this vast country whose people have a genuinely upbeat view of the United States. Still, Washington has significant differences to work out with India on global trade talks, climate change, the frozen civil nuclear deal, and Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Crimea. Many here and in the United States also worry about Modi’s ties to the extremist Hindu nationalist movement the RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh). These are not insignificant problems in this unique but sometimes frustrating partnership. But the long-term trend lines are mostly positive, which gives Obama and Kerry an opening to refashion ties with this key Asian rising power.

A US-India comeback - Opinion - The Boston Globe

For some interesting reasons, I am finding quite a few positive reports about India's economy in U.S. media.

---

India is on course to overtake China to claim the position as the world’s fastest growing, big economy in the next two years, the World Bank said Tuesday, the latest vote of confidence in the roadmap set out by the new leaders of the South Asian nation to revamp the economy.

The Washington-based development institution raised its forecasts for India, saying growth in Asia’s third-largest economy would accelerate in the coming years even as much of the world is slowing down. The reason? New Delhi is implementing changes that will make the country’s economy more efficient and vibrant.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi took office in May after his party won a rare majority in Parliament on a campaign promising smaller government and bigger growth. Since taking office, he has unveiled ambitious plans to change how India’s economy is managed.

World Bank India to Become Fastest-Growing Big Economy - India Real Time - WSJ

(Reuters) - The United States aims to secure agreements with India to start pilot projects for joint production of drones as well as equipment for transport planes in talks next week ahead of a visit by President Barack Obama, a U.S. industry source said on Wednesday.

Frank Kendall, U.S. undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, will be making his fourth visit to India to promote collaboration on defense technologies and co-production of weapons systems in an effort to finalize the projects.

Kendall's spokeswoman Maureen Schumann said he will meet with Defense Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur, Secretary for Defence Production G. Mohan Kumar and Scientific Advisor to the Minister of Defence Avinash Chander.

"His primary objective is to continue momentum on the Defense Trade and Technology Initiative (DTTI), which promotes collaboration on defense technology and enables co-production and co-development of critical defense systems," Schumann said.

An industry source familiar with U.S.-India discussions on the defense initiative said Kendall aimed to finalize two pilot projects, one involving unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and the other involving systems for the C-130 military transport aircraft built by Lockheed Martin Corp.

The source said the drone project involved the RQ-11 "Raven" built by AeroVironment Inc, a small U.S. firm. Raven is the world's most widely used unmanned aircraft, a lightweight plane that can be used manually, or for autonomous operations.

The U.S. government strictly controls foreign sales of larger UAVs, but has approved sales of unarmed systems like the Raven, which are used purely for surveillance to a range of countries, including Uzbekistan, according to a U.S. source.

The transport plane project involves manufacturing of roll-on, roll-off modules that allow C-130s to be used for surveillance, and as VIP transports or hospitals, according to the industry source, who did not want to be named due to the sensitivity of the discussions.

U.S. and Indian officials have declined to comment publicly on the systems under discussion, but the industry source said the aim was to announce the pilot projects during Obama's planned visit to India to attend the country's Jan. 26 Republic Day holiday, which is marked by a big military parade.

Lockheed declined comment on any specific co-production agreement, but a spokesman said teams from five Indian universities were participating in a design challenge to develop C-130 modules for use in disaster relief around the world.

India has received five C-130Js built by Lockheed, and six more planes are on order through 2017, parts of which will be built in India.

No comment was immediately available from AeroVironment.

The United States is keen to develop its political and strategic ties with India, with which it shares concerns about China's increasingly assertive territorial claims in the Asia-Pacific region.

Since the DTTI was launched in 2012, the United States has proposed 17 projects with potential for collaboration. But the initiative has been hampered by concerns from India that the projects do not sufficiently involve the transfer of technology.

On the U.S. side, meanwhile, there have been concerns about India's demand for the right to manufacture components rather than whole systems, which could put them in competition with U.S. manufacturers.

Ellen Lord, president and chief executive officer of Textron Systems, an aerospace unit of defence firm Textron Inc, which makes Bell helicopters and UAVs, told Reuters she was encouraged by reforms being undertaken by the Indian government.

"I'm energized by what I see as very positive changes," said Lord, who returned on Tuesday from a visit to India.

U.S. eyes India drone C-130 project deals for Obama trip Reuters

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan must fight militant groups that threaten Afghan, Indian and US interests, US secretary of state John Kerry said on Tuesday as he voiced sympathy for the victims of the December 16 attack on a Pakistani military school.

Pakistan has long been suspected by the West of playing a double game, fighting some militants while supporting those its generals have regarded as strategic assets to be used against rivals and neighbours, India and Afghanistan.

Kerry, on a visit to Pakistan, said all extremists groups should be targetted equally.

John Kerry Pakistan must fight militant groups that threaten Indian US interests - The Times of India

You should be thanking me for posting anything at all. If I didn't, you would have to talk to yourself or have an empty thread.

You should be thanking me for posting anything at all. If I didn't, you would have to talk to yourself or have an empty thread.
Closer ties to India would serve us well. Unlike China, they are more respective to US imports, far more democratic, and have less human rights problems.

You are an immature person who thinks my status is tied to the number of replies my threads get. I have told you earlier that I would prefer that people like yourself kept out of my threads. Your first objective should be to practice your comprehension skills so that you can understand what has been posted. Your replies are not that important at the moment given your IDD.

You are an immature person who thinks my status is tied to the number of replies my threads get. I have told you earlier that I would prefer that people like yourself kept out of my threads. Your first objective should be to practice your comprehension skills so that you can understand what has been posted. Your replies are not that important at the moment given your IDD.
Ok, next time you'e on your own, lonely boy.

Although I don't have much interest in India, I prefer it to the latest gun control/2nd amendment thread with irate liberals and frothing at the mouth conservatives repeating the same tired arguments over and over and over.

You are wasting my time. There are only 24 hours in a day. In that 24 hours, I have to work, I have to eat, I have to take shower, I have to workout, I have to run errands, I have to commute and participate on this forum. As you can see, I do not have much time at hand and when you make stupid posts, you are wasting my time. You need to work on your ability to understand what is being posted before you can start replying to posts. We all have varied degree of intellect. So I am not mocking your IDD. However, I am simply imploring you to make an effort.

You are wasting my time. There are only 24 hours in a day. In that 24 hours, I have to work, I have to eat, I have to take shower, I have to workout, I have to run errands, I have to commute and participate on this forum. As you can see, I do not have much time at hand and when you make stupid posts, you are wasting my time. You need to work on your ability to understand what is being posted before you can start replying to posts. We all have varied degree of intellect. So I am not mocking your IDD. However, I am simply imploring you to make an effort.
No, if you think you're time is being wasted, then you have no one to blame but yourself. No one is making you read or reply to any thread. It's common sense that members will ignore threads that they have no interest in. Apparently you don't understand that.

No, if you think you're time is being wasted, then you have no one to blame but yourself. No one is making you read or reply to any thread. It's common sense that members will ignore threads that they have no interest in. Apparently you don't understand that.

I do understand that. That is why I have been saying that neither him nor anyone else needs to respond to my threads. I am perfectly OK with that. I have my sense of what is important and based on that I am going to start a thread. If someone participates, very well. If no one participates, that is fine as well. I am not sure why it is so difficult for him or anyone else to grasp that.

Forum List

Back