A True THIRST for Freedom...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
8 die as Iraqis defy violence to vote

By HAMZA HENDAWI and QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA
Associated Press Writers Mar 7, 2:16 AM EST

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqis voted Sunday in an election testing the mettle of the country's still-fragile democracy as insurgents killed eight people across the capital with a barrage of mortars intent on disrupting the day.

About 19 million Iraqis are eligible to vote in the election which will determine who will lead the country as U.S. forces go home and whether the country will be able to overcome the jagged sectarian divisions that have defined Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Insurgents who vowed to disrupt the elections - which they see as validating the Shiite-led government and the U.S. occupation - launched a volley of mortar attacks just as polls opened across the city and country.

The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA - AP NEWS

:clap2:

It doesn't Matter who you are... What Side you Claim in the "Debate"...

:)

peace...

Last edited:

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqis voted Sunday in an election testing the mettle of the country's still-fragile democracy as insurgents killed eight people across the capital with a barrage of mortars intent on disrupting the day.

About 19 million Iraqis are eligible to vote in the election which will determine who will lead the country as U.S. forces go home and whether the country will be able to overcome the jagged sectarian divisions that have defined Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Insurgents who vowed to disrupt the elections - which they see as validating the Shiite-led government and the U.S. occupation - launched a volley of mortar attacks just as polls opened across the city and country.

peace...

Just ask Maineman he will tell you that the 3 groups in Iraq can never get along. Of course after we started winning big time in Iraq he quit posting here on a regular basis. Running away when the going gets tough is a sure sign of bravery.

peace...

Just ask Maineman he will tell you that the 3 groups in Iraq can never get along. Of course after we started winning big time in Iraq he quit posting here on a regular basis. Running away when the going gets tough is a sure sign of bravery.

what I SAID - and what I still believe - is that I doubt the ability of the sects in Iraq to get along in the absence of an occupying outside force. I still do. We will see how well they get along when the last American soldier has left. Didn't Maliki say just last week that he doubted the readiness of Iraq's own security forces and requested that Americans stay LONGER than we planned to? That would not seem to ME to be a sign of a multicultural jeffersonian democracy blooming on the banks of the Euphrates just quite yet.

peace...

what I SAID - and what I still believe - is that I doubt the ability of the sects in Iraq to get along in the absence of an occupying outside force. I still do. We will see how well they get along when the last American soldier has left. Didn't Maliki say just last week that he doubted the readiness of Iraq's own security forces and requested that Americans stay LONGER than we planned to? That would not seem to ME to be a sign of a multicultural jeffersonian democracy blooming on the banks of the Euphrates just quite yet.

As usual you have no evidence but won't quit.

maliki's own statements ...plus mortar attacks ... aren't evidence?

off your meds?:cuckoo:

Ok, do you support immediate withdrawal of all US forces from Iraq?

I wonder... if America were occupied by a foreign army a million strong whose sole purpose was to maintain calm among our civilian population... and WE held a national election and 360 Americans were killed in a variety of election day attacks conducted by indiginous warring factions, would anyone say that our democracy was HEALTHY?

Forum List

Back