a True Patriot

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
What Obama Could Have Said About His Pastor

By Lawrence Korb And Ian Moss

"In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy's challenge to, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines. In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman....

While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections.

Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country?

After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America's biggest cities.__This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three decades."

http://www.counterpunch.com/korb04052008.html

Then he could talk about how this man waded through sniper fire in Tuzla in order to make a presentation to the little kids........oh wait. Sorry, Wrong liberal hate spewing jackass. My bad.

McVey was there... ALONG WITH OTHERS ..the atf was not???.. there was MORE THAN ONE BOMB...listen to the local news cast listen to the wittnesses

OMG dude not every thing in this country is a conspiracy, there trully are evil individuals out there.

What Obama Could Have Said About His Pastor

By Lawrence Korb And Ian Moss

"In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy's challenge to, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines. In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman....

While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections.

Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country?

After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America's biggest cities.__This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three decades."

http://www.counterpunch.com/korb04052008.html

Doesn't wash. One, I don't know that I have seen anyone question Wright's patriotism, only his politics.

Two, if military service is not an indicator of patriotism when it works for conservaties, it isn't an indicator of patriotism only when it works for liberals.

It is commendable, IMO, that Wright served in the Marine Corps/Navy. Good for him.

His political opinions TODAY are STILL divisive and racist, as well as just a little bit ignorant and full of partisan blather.

What I find ironic is the partisanship of the replies. Cheney Bush and others were draft dodgers to my world and yet you pick on Wright for his expression of free speech. You pick on a man who served his country didn't just rob and pillage it, but you admire the president and his sidekick W.

As Gunny wrote fairly, that is something to be proud of, not to criticize, shows you how far some go to deny reality or sugarcoat their own ideologues.

You are an idiot, but then we already knew that didn't we?

Next you will be telling us all how Jane Fonda is a National Hero.

Once again RGS, you seem to be resorting to name calling rather than discussion of the topic - exactly the thing you keep chastizing others for.

What I find ironic is the partisanship of the replies. Cheney Bush and others were draft dodgers to my world and yet you pick on Wright for his expression of free speech. You pick on a man who served his country didn't just rob and pillage it, but you admire the president and his sidekick W.

As Gunny wrote fairly, that is something to be proud of, not to criticize, shows you how far some go to deny reality or sugarcoat their own ideologues.

Anyone who makes a positive contribution to the society in which we live "serves." Military service is one way, but not "the" way.

Your comment concerning Cheney and Bush is doing to them exactly what you are complaining about being done to Wright. Whether or not their contributions are perceived as positive since they are politicians will always be determined by which side of the political aisle one falls on, but the fact remains, both have served this Nation.

The same can be said for Wright. He served in the military, and agree with him or not, still serves his community. And to clarify, I am addressing only their service, not what that service is nor how it is perceived.

Oh you mean pick on a man who preaches a theology based on the destruction of whites. Don't you see how that could be a problem, having a president who subscribes to this type of theology? Probably not, but it's very relevant to how that theology would effect Obama's policies as President.

You are an idiot, but then we already knew that didn't we?

Next you will be telling us all how Jane Fonda is a National Hero.

Seems to me that you, as a veteran, should be more tolerant towards Rev Wright and John Kerry and less tolerant towards Bush, Cheney and Clinton...and you demonstrated intolerance towards Clinton already. However, that was based strictly on your partisan view and not on common sense.

Doesn't wash. One, I don't know that I have seen anyone question Wright's patriotism, only his politics.

Two, if military service is not an indicator of patriotism when it works for conservaties, it isn't an indicator of patriotism only when it works for liberals.

It is commendable, IMO, that Wright served in the Marine Corps/Navy. Good for him.

His political opinions TODAY are STILL divisive and racist, as well as just a little bit ignorant and full of partisan blather.

Actually, they are pretty much on the money. America is still a racist country and full of bigotry towards non-Christians and political parties.

I disagree. The laws of this country favor no one based on race, religion and/or political affiliation.

The laws do not favor any specif race or group (except for the rich), the economic system definitely is racist and partisan. The people of America are racist, and bigotted.

The laws do not favor any specif race or group (except for the rich), the economic system definitely is racist and partisan. The people of America are racist, and bigotted.

The economic system must not be that racist if Rev Wright can afford the upscale mansion in the gated community. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al seem to be making out pretty well too. Obama sure doesn't look like he's suffered any either. Maybe the economic system just happens to reward those who work hard and are smart enough to put together a good business?

And some people in America are racist and bigoted, others are not. These racists and bigots come in all sizes, shapes and colors, not just white.

Forum List

Back