A true Mystery: Why do Republicans say they kept the country safe?

I've heard this comment many times before:

Both Republicans and Democrats sent us into the war.

If you are "tricked" does that make you culpable?

So politicians are no longer responsible for their votes? You're just making excuses. A lot of people died fighting this war and you want to give the party you support a pass on those needless deaths just because you're hyper partisan. That doesn't make you any better than the Republicans you are complaining about.

You edited my comment.

Republicans manufactured a reason to go into Iraq with "slam dunk", "WMDs", "Bin Laden is working with Saddam" and lots more "evidence".

Then they worked it with, "You are with US or you are with the terrorists" and a thousand other variations on that theme of "be with us because we are patriots. Prove you are too".

You have to hand it to the Republicans, they played the Democrats and did it well.

What Democrats are "guilty" of is trusting Republicans. Democrats just "assume" that Republicans believe in the good of the nation. That Republicans want "what's good for the US".

If the intel the Republicans gave the Democrats was "real" and "good", then they wouldn't have had to resort to, "You are with us or with the terrorists", basically calling Democrats "traitors". You know that. If you are being honest then you know the facts will speak for themselves. That wasn't the case. Republicans tricked the American public and twisted the Democrats arm in a very serious way.

So politicians are no longer responsible for their votes? You're just making excuses. A lot of people died fighting this war and you want to give the party you support a pass on those needless deaths just because you're hyper partisan. That doesn't make you any better than the Republicans you are complaining about.

You edited my comment.

Republicans manufactured a reason to go into Iraq with "slam dunk", "WMDs", "Bin Laden is working with Saddam" and lots more "evidence".

Then they worked it with, "You are with US or you are with the terrorists" and a thousand other variations on that theme of "be with us because we are patriots. Prove you are too".

You have to hand it to the Republicans, they played the Democrats and did it well.

What Democrats are "guilty" of is trusting Republicans. Democrats just "assume" that Republicans believe in the good of the nation. That Republicans want "what's good for the US".

If the intel the Republicans gave the Democrats was "real" and "good", then they wouldn't have had to resort to, "You are with us or with the terrorists", basically calling Democrats "traitors". You know that. If you are being honest then you know the facts will speak for themselves. That wasn't the case. Republicans tricked the American public and twisted the Democrats arm in a very serious way.

There were those who voted against the war. They knew better than to believe anything Bush said.

Hey asswipe... 40% of Americans don't pay income taxes... who'd you suggest we give tax cuts too? The 40 eprcenters who are laying on the 60 percenters' legs?

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has .. chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

I've heard the Republicans claim over and over again they "kept the country safe". I can't figure out exactly what that means.

Some examples:

Republicans put at least 100,000 people into carcinogenic trailers after Katrina and then sat on the reports detailing why they were getting "sick".

FEMA Trailers for Katrina Victims Tainted by Toxic Chemical - ABC News

In 2007, a bridge collapsed during rush hour. This led to a report that at least 70,000 bridges in the US were a danger. What did Republicans do to alleviate this danger?

4 dead, 79 injured, 20 missing after dozens of vehicles plummet into river | StarTribune.com

More than 4000 young American patriots have been killed in Iraq. More than 30,000 injured or crippled. The Iraqis want us gone. A man who threw shoes at our president, one of the worst insults in Islam, became a "national hero" to the Iraqis. We are going bankrupt to rebuild a country that is now a religious theocracy by Constitution with Islam the "national religion" (Article 2) and want us gone. We have done nothing to help the million Christians who have been murdered or exiled.

40,000 Americans die each year because they have no health care. The Iraqis have the "public option" written into a constitution supported by American Republicans. See Article 31 and 32. What did Republicans do for health care here? Why do Republicans help the Iraqis, who don't even want help, but not the US?

Full Text of Iraqi Constitution - washingtonpost.com

Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years. That means the "infrastructure". Keeping roads and bridges and trains modern is very important to keeping Americans safe. Why nothing for the US? Don't we deserve a safe country?

CNSNews.com - Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years, Says Democratic Senator

So, I'm just trying to understand how Republicans kept America "safe". Throwing water at a "firecracker" when the house was burning was keeping us safe?

What are Republicans doing now to help "keep us safe"?

Way to disingenuously conflate two entirely different topics. Tell me, did you have to take special classes to be such a dishonest sack of feces, or did it come naturally?

Hey asswipe... 40% of Americans don't pay income taxes... who'd you suggest we give tax cuts too? The 40 eprcenters who are laying on the 60 percenters' legs?

But everyone pays the myriad of other taxes. The so called Bush tax cuts were merely shifting the tax burden onto the lower income brackets.

EVERYONE pays all sorts of taxes.

Isn't it right wingers who like to accuse lefties of waging "class warfare?"

Well... (scratches head and hunches up shoulders)... The Republicans kept Hillary Clinton from getting elected President but unfortunately they dropped the ball and let Obama get through to the White House. On one hand they did a good job in keeping America safe from a crazy Democrat white woman but on the other hand, they allowed a crazy Democrat black guy become the President. Republicans didn't have a very good game plan and their "team" for the election game was somewhat sub-par. I look for a much better game come 2012. The warm up for the 2012 election games begin in just a few months... Personally, I'm looking for a really really good Independent candidate. I'm tired of the Democrat and Republican rift raft. Pretty tired of the same old dumb assed incumbents too.

Last edited:
So while the WEALTHIEST Americans are getting tax breaks they are FUCKING their fellow Americans by
1) sending jobs over seas
2) putting money in SECRET overseas bank accounts
3) putting corporate offices in the Cayman Islands to avoid corporate taxes
4) hiring scumbag accountants and lawyers to resolve any remaining tax burden

rdean = FUCKTARD

So you are saying the dems are a bunch of fucking IDIOTS.

Way to disingenuously conflate two entirely different topics. Tell me, did you have to take special classes to be such a dishonest sack of feces, or did it come naturally?

Between his knees? He already has his head between his ass cheeks.

That might be because the FACT is that the wealthiest Americans pay the most taxes.

How big a tax cut did you expect on your minimum wage?

Wow, you have to marvel at the true insight and keen intellect of Republican Master Debaters. Each and every one a cunning linguist.

Would you consider "war" as part of "defense" spending? Since neither war was included in the budget, does it make sense that "defense spending" stayed the same in spite of two wars? Well, actually, YES, it does. Because the wars weren't included in the budget.

It was you who said "Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years." I told you that spending drastically increased and proved it you. Why are you arguing otherwise?

When a tax for a certain percentage is tossed out, then someone getting a hundred dollars is way different than someone getting a hundred thousand dollars. You would think that people with a billion dollars would WANT to support a government and a country that lets them make a billion dollars.

People that make billions of dollars do support the government the country that lets them make it. They pay far more taxes in one year than you or I ever will in our lifetimes.

Republicans will scrape and fight for every dollar they can suck out of Americans.

Name one.

Republicans know that using the "emergency room" for health care will bankrupt the system. They know that the major cause of bankruptcies is medical costs. Republicans know that 40,000 Americans die each year because they don't have health care. But we also know, they just don't care. They insist they keep us safe from a "terrorist" attack even when tens of thousands of Americans are dying in preventable ways. But those ways cost money.

That entire paragraph is nothing but one big straw man argument.

If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

But I am expecting the government to make those less likely through law enforcement.

Which they do, so what is your issue?

When trying to debate with Republicans, whey do they always come up with such "outlandish" comments.

I don't know. Why don't you ask one?

If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

Where does that kind of stuff even come from? How do they get to this "leap of logic"?

Who are "they?" Those are my words, not a third party, and what is outlandish about it?

As far as FEMA goes, Bush apponted a "horse show judge" to run that agency. You think Gore would have done the same? Why would you think that?

Gore most likely would not have appointed the same person, but I doubt that would have changed what happened. Is it your belief that the head of FEMA knew these trailers were tainted?

Sorry Spaz but the FACT is that the vast majority of tax cuts went to the wealthiest Americans.

Well of course they did. The wealthiest Americans pay the vast majority of income taxes. How are you going to cut taxes and not have the people paying the bulk of them see a decrease?

That wasn't what rdean said, however.

Forum List

Back