A true Mystery: Why do Republicans say they kept the country safe?

R

rdean

I've heard the Republicans claim over and over again they "kept the country safe". I can't figure out exactly what that means.

Some examples:

Republicans put at least 100,000 people into carcinogenic trailers after Katrina and then sat on the reports detailing why they were getting "sick".

FEMA Trailers for Katrina Victims Tainted by Toxic Chemical - ABC News

In 2007, a bridge collapsed during rush hour. This led to a report that at least 70,000 bridges in the US were a danger. What did Republicans do to alleviate this danger?

4 dead, 79 injured, 20 missing after dozens of vehicles plummet into river | StarTribune.com

More than 4000 young American patriots have been killed in Iraq. More than 30,000 injured or crippled. The Iraqis want us gone. A man who threw shoes at our president, one of the worst insults in Islam, became a "national hero" to the Iraqis. We are going bankrupt to rebuild a country that is now a religious theocracy by Constitution with Islam the "national religion" (Article 2) and want us gone. We have done nothing to help the million Christians who have been murdered or exiled.

40,000 Americans die each year because they have no health care. The Iraqis have the "public option" written into a constitution supported by American Republicans. See Article 31 and 32. What did Republicans do for health care here? Why do Republicans help the Iraqis, who don't even want help, but not the US?

Full Text of Iraqi Constitution - washingtonpost.com

Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years. That means the "infrastructure". Keeping roads and bridges and trains modern is very important to keeping Americans safe. Why nothing for the US? Don't we deserve a safe country?

CNSNews.com - Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years, Says Democratic Senator

So, I'm just trying to understand how Republicans kept America "safe". Throwing water at a "firecracker" when the house was burning was keeping us safe?

What are Republicans doing now to help "keep us safe"?

I've heard the Republicans claim over and over again they "kept the country safe". I can't figure out exactly what that means.

I think it's more than obvious that Republican are referring to the fact that we hadn't experienced any further terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 9-11. I find it hard to believe that you "can't figure out exactly what that means."

Republicans put at least 100,000 people into carcinogenic trailers after Katrina and then sat on the reports detailing why they were getting "sick".

This would have happened whether Bush was president or John Kerry or Al Gore had been president. FEMA is the perfect example of an inefficient government bureaucracy that no one should rely on to save their ass. Furthermore, mistakes at the state and local level also contributed to the number of people displaced by the hurricane.

I'm not sure why you're surprised this happened. I'm surprised when the government does something right.

In 2007, a bridge collapsed during rush hour. This led to a report that at least 70,000 bridges in the US were a danger. What did Republicans do to alleviate this danger?

4 dead, 79 injured, 20 missing after dozens of vehicles plummet into river | StarTribune.com

This is neither a Republican nor Democrat problem. The State of Minnesota is responsible for maintaining its infrastructure and they dropped the ball. If you want to play partisan politics, however, the governor was a Republican and the state legislature was controlled by the Democrats. Pick your poison.

More than 4000 young American patriots have been killed in Iraq. More than 30,000 injured or crippled. The Iraqis want us gone. A man who threw shoes at our president, one of the worst insults in Islam, became a "national hero" to the Iraqis. We are going bankrupt to rebuild a country that is now a religious theocracy by Constitution with Islam the "national religion" (Article 2) and want us gone. We have done nothing to help the million Christians who have been murdered or exiled.

Unfortunately true, many lives lost for a wasted crusade. However, both Republicans and Democrats sent us into the war.

40,000 Americans die each year because they have no health care. The Iraqis have the "public option" written into a constitution supported by American Republicans. See Article 31 and 32. What did Republicans do for health care here?

40,000 Americans dying for lack of health care, if that figure is true, is not the business of the Federal government. The only person responsible for obtaining your own health care is you. Stop making excuses for your failures and get off your ass and fix them (I mean "your" as in people in general, not literally you). Relying on the all powerful nanny government is how we ended up with those 100,000 hurricane victims living in tainted trailers.

Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years.

Quite the opposite, actually. Federal spending under Bush ballooned and the national debt doubled under his presidency.

Why are you relying so much on politicians for your safety? Certainly, they have responsibilities to keep this country safe when it comes to foreign enemies, but the best person to keep you and your family safe is you.

I think it's more than obvious that Republican are referring to the fact that we hadn't experienced any further terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 9-11. I find it hard to believe that you "can't figure out exactly what that means."

This would have happened whether Bush was president or John Kerry or Al Gore had been president. FEMA is the perfect example of an inefficient government bureaucracy that no one should rely on to save their ass. Furthermore, mistakes at the state and local level also contributed to the number of people displaced by the hurricane.

I'm not sure why you're surprised this happened. I'm surprised when the government does something right.

This is neither a Republican nor Democrat problem. The State of Minnesota is responsible for maintaining its infrastructure and they dropped the ball. If you want to play partisan politics, however, the governor was a Republican and the state legislature was controlled by the Democrats. Pick your poison.

Unfortunately true, many lives lost for a wasted crusade. However, both Republicans and Democrats sent us into the war.

40,000 Americans dying for lack of health care, if that figure is true, is not the business of the Federal government. The only person responsible for obtaining your own health care is you. Stop making excuses for your failures and get off your ass and fix them (I mean "your" as in people in general, not literally you). Relying on the all powerful nanny government is how we ended up with those 100,000 hurricane victims living in tainted trailers.

Quite the opposite, actually. Federal spending under Bush ballooned and the national debt doubled under his presidency.

Why are you relying so much on politicians for your safety? Certainly, they have responsibilities to keep this country safe when it comes to foreign enemies, but the best person to keep you and your family safe is you.

So, which is more likely? Getting blown up by a "terrorist" bomb or dying from a traffic accident on an unsafe highway?

Federal spending under Bush ballooned? Not exactly. The 1.3 trillion dollar tax cut for the very rich coupled with two wars, an unnecessary war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan where Bin Laden was let go drove up the deficit. But nothing was actually spent on the US.

We elect politicians to office. If part of their job isn't keeping Americans "safe", then why are they there? To me, that is simply a "no brainer".

If Federal Safety Bridge Regulations are mandated by the Federal Government, and they are, then it makes sense that the Federal Government pay for part of the required maintenance. I'm going to let you figure out why that is.

Federal funds to assist state and local governments in inspecting, repairing or replacing bridges is provided under the Highway Bridge Replacement and Rehabilitation Program (HBRRP).

Federal Bridge Safety Regulation and Funding

100,000 people put into carcinogenic trailers under Gore? You can't be serious. Mr. Environmental? That is not only speculation, but very poor speculation. Worse, it's a diversion.

Honestly, at least I look stuff up and don't just guess.

NEXT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rdean you're hyperventilating again. Put your head between your knees. I'll be back in a few days to tell you what to do next

Couldn't agree more. Both parties claim that they "keep us safe". Democrat or Republican they can barely keep themselves safe when the secret service is just letting people walk into state dinners unchecked. I'd far rather keep MYSELF safe.

Couldn't agree more. Both parties claim that they "keep us safe". Democrat or Republican they can barely keep themselves safe when the secret service is just letting people walk into state dinners unchecked. I'd far rather keep MYSELF safe.

They wouldn't let me in.

Why do Republicans say they kept the country safe? Hold on a second there pilgrim, when was the last time the Iraqi's pulled off a successful attack upon our nation?

Rdean you're hyperventilating again. Put your head between your knees. I'll be back in a few days to tell you what to do next

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Finally, you said something that was actually funny. That just goes to show that if you throw enough darts, you might accidentally hit the board.

Why do Republicans say they kept the country safe? Hold on a second there pilgrim, when was the last time the Iraqi's pulled off a successful attack upon our nation?

Ummmm, the question here is, "When was the "first" time Iraq pulled off a successful attack upon our nation?" Oops.

Some examples:

40,000 Americans die each year because they have no health care. The Iraqis have the "public option" written into a constitution supported by American Republicans. See Article 31 and 32. What did Republicans do for health care here? Why do Republicans help the Iraqis, who don't even want help, but not the US?

Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years. That means the "infrastructure". Keeping roads and bridges and trains modern is very important to keeping Americans safe. Why nothing for the US? Don't we deserve a safe country?

CNSNews.com - Federal Spending Was on ‘Starvation Diet’ During Bush Years, Says Democratic Senator

So, I'm just trying to understand how Republicans kept America "safe". Throwing water at a "firecracker" when the house was burning was keeping us safe?

Because Bush did keep us safe from another terrorist attack, we did not have one on our soil. So far, we have had one attack the " Fort Hood Shooter," and a near miss with the underwear bomber in less than a year in office. It seems that bowing to the saudi prince and making nice with the terrorists of the world is just not working out for Obama. The hope and change he was talking about is not the hope and change most Americans want. He's weak on terror and the terrorists KNOW it.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Some examples:

Because Bush did keep us safe from another terrorist attack, we did not have one on our soil. So far, we have had one attack the " Fort Hood Shooter," and a near miss with the underwear bomber in less than a year in office. It seems that bowing to the saudi prince and making nice with the terrorists of the world is just not working out for Obama. The hope and change he was talking about is not the hope and change most Americans want. He's weak on terror and the terrorists KNOW it.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

anthrax and the shoe bomber Richard Reid

I've heard this comment many times before:

Both Republicans and Democrats sent us into the war.

If you are "tricked" does that make you culpable?

Republicans manufactured a reason to go into Iraq with "slam dunk", "WMDs", "Bin Laden is working with Saddam" and lots more "evidence".

Then they worked it with, "You are with US or you are with the terrorists" and a thousand other variations on that theme of "be with us because we are patriots. Prove you are too".

You have to hand it to the Republicans, they played the Democrats and did it well.

What Democrats are "guilty" of is trusting Republicans. Democrats just "assume" that Republicans believe in the good of the nation. That Republicans want "what's good for the US".

I would like to believe that Democrats would just follow the "wisdom" of Bush:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A[/ame]

But they don't. They never seem to learn. Republicans don't have the best interests of the nation at heart. Republicans have "ideology".

So, which is more likely? Getting blown up by a "terrorist" bomb or dying from a traffic accident on an unsafe highway?

Quite clearly the highway accident. What are you getting at?

Federal spending under Bush ballooned? Not exactly.

Yes, it did.

Federal_Budget_1940-2006.jpg

The 1.3 trillion dollar tax cut for the very rich coupled

The tax cuts were for everyone. Stop lying. It only discredits you.

We elect politicians to office. If part of their job isn't keeping Americans "safe", then why are they there? To me, that is simply a "no brainer".

National security is their job. If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

If Federal Safety Bridge Regulations are mandated by the Federal Government, and they are, then it makes sense that the Federal Government pay for part of the required maintenance. I'm going to let you figure out why that is.

It may make sense for it to be that way, but that doesn't mean it is. The Federal government has a lot of unfunded mandates. They provide each state with some highway funding, but they don't cover the whole bill. Either way, it deflates your argument. The president in 2007 was a Republican. The Congress was controlled by the Democrats. Who appropriates the money?

100,000 people put into carcinogenic trailers under Gore? You can't be serious. Mr. Environmental? That is not only speculation, but very poor speculation.

I'm quite serious. The president doesn't run FEMA. All governmental departments have people that run them and several layers of bureaucrats in between. Was it Obama's fault that the panties bomber got on that plane a few weeks ago? Hypotheticals are all speculation, yours no less than mine.

Ummmm, the question here is, "When was the "first" time Iraq pulled off a successful attack upon our nation?" Oops.

ummm that was kind of the point.

Sorry, I'm so used to getting Republicans responding seriously in just that way.
my bad.

Some examples:

It's not surprising that you have Bush Administration amnesia.

I've heard this comment many times before:

Both Republicans and Democrats sent us into the war.

If you are "tricked" does that make you culpable?

So politicians are no longer responsible for their votes? You're just making excuses. A lot of people died fighting this war and you want to give the party you support a pass on those needless deaths just because you're hyper partisan. That doesn't make you any better than the Republicans you are complaining about.

Quite clearly the highway accident. What are you getting at?

Federal spending under Bush ballooned? Not exactly.

Yes, it did.

Federal_Budget_1940-2006.jpg

The tax cuts were for everyone. Stop lying. It only discredits you.

National security is their job. If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

It may make sense for it to be that way, but that doesn't mean it is. The Federal government has a lot of unfunded mandates. They provide each state with some highway funding, but they don't cover the whole bill. Either way, it deflates your argument. The president in 2007 was a Republican. The Congress was controlled by the Democrats. Who appropriates the money?

100,000 people put into carcinogenic trailers under Gore? You can't be serious. Mr. Environmental? That is not only speculation, but very poor speculation.

I'm quite serious. The president doesn't run FEMA. All governmental departments have people that run them and several layers of bureaucrats in between. Was it Obama's fault that the panties bomber got on that plane a few weeks ago? Hypotheticals are all speculation, yours no less than mine.

Funny how we see "facts" in such a different way.

Would you consider "war" as part of "defense" spending? Since neither war was included in the budget, does it make sense that "defense spending" stayed the same in spite of two wars? Well, actually, YES, it does. Because the wars weren't included in the budget.

When a tax for a certain percentage is tossed out, then someone getting a hundred dollars is way different than someone getting a hundred thousand dollars. You would think that people with a billion dollars would WANT to support a government and a country that lets them make a billion dollars. But we know that's not true. Republicans will scrape and fight for every dollar they can suck out of Americans.

Republicans know that using the "emergency room" for health care will bankrupt the system. They know that the major cause of bankruptcies is medical costs. Republicans know that 40,000 Americans die each year because they don't have health care. But we also know, they just don't care. They insist they keep us safe from a "terrorist" attack even when tens of thousands of Americans are dying in preventable ways. But those ways cost money.

If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

But I am expecting the government to make those less likely through law enforcement.

When trying to debate with Republicans, whey do they always come up with such "outlandish" comments. Review this statement:

If you're expecting the government to come save you from a home invasion or a car jacking, good luck with that.

Where does that kind of stuff even come from? How do they get to this "leap of logic"?

As far as FEMA goes, Bush apponted a "horse show judge" to run that agency. You think Gore would have done the same? Why would you think that?

Forum List

Back