A true Christian Christmas?

Gurdari

Egaliterra
Feb 2, 2007
the West
I was wondering if 'true' Christians (those who follow the teaching of Jesus and the bible) would actually celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December (the Winter Equinox) and have pagan/druid (tree worshipping) items in their homes like mistletoe, yule logs, holly, wreaths, and a pine tree?

I was under the impression those were related to old pagan rituals about the 'life of the forest' celebrated on the Winter equinox, as they mistakenly believed that the trees dies during winter, and the life of the forest went into the only trees that stayed green (like pine trees). I learned that when Christianity was expanding, it allowed many smaller cultures to keep their beliefs as long as the joined the team...

thoughts?

you are speaking of the winter solstice which occurs around dec 21 in the northern hemisphere. the solstice is a major milestone in the year for pagans. the traditions of pagans were adopted by christians in an attempt to convert pagans. most of the chirstimas traditions are rooted in pagans beliefs and traditions. you are a bit mislead about what we believe...the greeneries are brought in....to show the promise of spring after a long winter...

I was wondering if 'true' Christians (those who follow the teaching of Jesus and the bible) would actually celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December (the Winter Equinox) and have pagan/druid (tree worshipping) items in their homes like mistletoe, yule logs, holly, wreaths, and a pine tree?

I was under the impression those were related to old pagan rituals about the 'life of the forest' celebrated on the Winter equinox, as they mistakenly believed that the trees dies during winter, and the life of the forest went into the only trees that stayed green (like pine trees). I learned that when Christianity was expanding, it allowed many smaller cultures to keep their beliefs as long as the joined the team...

thoughts?

none of us that are christian celebrate christmas for religious pagan reasons....most don't even know some of what they do, even have pagan roots.....

sooooooo, no biggie.

care

you are speaking of the winter solstice which occurs around dec 21 in the northern hemisphere. the solstice is a major milestone in the year for pagans. the traditions of pagans were adopted by christians in an attempt to convert pagans. most of the chirstimas traditions are rooted in pagans beliefs and traditions. you are a bit mislead about what we believe...the greeneries are brought in....to show the promise of spring after a long winter...

Zeitgeist Challenge Exposes Zeitgeist

YouTube - Zeitgeist Challenge Exposes Acharya S and Zeitgeist (1 of 3)

I love the smell of pine in my house during December, and the white lights, and candles.....

I guess I was wondering if any Christian would actually engage in behavior that seems blasphemous. (of course I am assuming that performing or engaging in religious rites generated by and for a different deity/religion are 'blasphemous').

i agree with care. doesnt matter why or what...you have ever right to do as you wish.

anyone want to tell him about easter?

Well, I am all for happines and religious tolerance... I just thought strict adherents to Christianity would be less inclined to festoon their homes with pagan decor, and that if they did so it would be against the supposed wished of the one they worship.

Kind of like doing other things that the Bible might forbid...?

Well, I am all for happines and religious tolerance... I just thought strict adherents to Christianity would be less inclined to festoon their homes with pagan decor, and that if they did so it would be against the supposed wished of the one they worship.

HA, good luck on that one.

Even the most religious people I know have a Christmas tree and decorations.

The only ones I know of that don't do any sort of holiday, birthday {or even say the pledge} are the Jehova Witness people. (though I'm sure there are others)

Are you trying to say Christians shouldn't have trees or decorations in December? Do you think they will worship the trees or something?

The Prophet Jeremiah condemned as Pagan the ancient Middle Eastern practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. Of course, these were not really Christmas trees, because Jesus was not born until centuries later, and the use of Christmas trees was not introduced for many centuries after his birth. Apparently, in Jeremiah's time the "heathen" would cut down trees, carve or decorate them in the form of a god or goddess, and overlay it with precious metals. Some Christians feel that this Pagan practice was similar enough to our present use of Christmas trees that this passage from Jeremiah can be used to condemn both:

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (KJV).

All about the Christmas tree: Pagan origins, Christian adaptation and secular status

HA, good luck on that one.

Even the most religious people I know have a Christmas tree and decorations.

The only ones I know of that don't do any sort of holiday, birthday {or even say the pledge} are the Jehova Witness people. (though I'm sure there are others)

Are you trying to say Christians shouldn't have trees or decorations in December? Do you think they will worship the trees or something?

I think people should do whatever they like for holidays. But those that call themselves Christian seem like they should avoid pagan/heathen/whatever practices, according to their professed belief system...

I think people should do whatever they like for holidays. But those that call themselves Christian seem like they should avoid pagan/heathen/whatever practices, according to their professed belief system...

But who are you to say what their belief system is?

Forum List

Back