A True American Hero

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
I wasn't really a diehard fan of either team in the nba finals. I was sort of pulling for golden state, but after watching last nights game I have to comment on Lebron James.

Here is a man of immense talent who went out and made a name for himself, won a couple of championship rings, made lots of money, and then decided to make a life,changing decision. He could have had his pick of any team in the nba, he could have gone Hollywood on us as so many stars do, he could have turned his back on his raising but he didn't. He decided to go back to his decidedly dumpy hometown and promise them that he would bring a championship to a championship starved town.

He set numerous records in these finals for points scored, triple doubles, and probably time played. He undoubtedly had star performances in the final game from many of his teammates, but in the end Lebron James willed this. He lead by example. He didn't listen to all the naysayers who claimed he didn't have the killer instinct or it couldn't be done down 3-1. He brushed away comparisons to other greats modestly saying they who were they were and he was who he was. He did it his way, all the way. His dedication, perseverance, loyalty, effort, and leadership was on display for all to see and emulate. The sheer force of his will drug this team to the pinnacle of his sport and made good on his promise to bring a championship to his hometown.

Lebrons place in the pantheon of basketball greats is already assured, but last night as he put an exclamation point on his performance by flying all of his 260 pounds through the air to ferociously block and easy layup by golden state in the last minute of the game I realized I was watching a man who was giving every last ounce of his being to accomplish his dream. For all his basketball greatness, At the end of that game last night, I discovered that I most respected Lebron James for being a man and showing the rest of us what being a man really meant. Thank you King James.

While I think sports and athletes are overly hyped in this culture he certainly helped Cleveland finally get a championship in a major sport. And he did not do it alone, as Jordan had Pippen, James had his help as well. A great accomplishment and he will be remembered as one of the greats of the game no doubt, and he will likely do more movies in the future. He seems to have more humility than some which is also good to see.

Do not abuse the word, "Hero." It refers to someone who places himself at risk for the benefit of his comrades. Firefighters are "heroes." Soldiers are "heroes." Someone who helps out another driver who is in trouble on a dark highway is a "hero." No one who plays a game for a living is a "hero."

My point DG is that Lebron has transcended his sport. You can be a hero by giving people hope. Or making people feel good about themselves, or providing a much needed role model. Someone like Jackie Robinson was certainly a hero. You are not a hero because you have soldier or firefighter, or policeman attached to your name. You become a hero because of your actions. James passes that test.

My point DG is that Lebron has transcended his sport. You can be a hero by giving people hope. Or making people feel good about themselves, or providing a much needed role model. Someone like Jackie Robinson was certainly a hero. You are not a hero because you have soldier or firefighter, or policeman attached to your name. You become a hero because of your actions. James passes that test.

I certainly think he is an inspiration to millions.

Jackie Robinson was a "hero" because he voluntarily subjected himself to massive abuse, in order to ultimately benefit other "Negro" players who deserved to play in MLB, but were denied that opportunity through racism.

LeBron is, from all indications, a sterling individual. Not only is he one of the best basketball players ever to play, but he displays leadership, grace, and good judgment in his personal life. One hopes that millions of people will follow his example of hard work, persistence, and the pursuit of excellence.

But he is no "hero."

Any cop who works in a high crime area is a "hero."

I wasn't really a diehard fan of either team in the nba finals. I was sort of pulling for golden state, but after watching last nights game I have to comment on Lebron James.

Here is a man of immense talent who went out and made a name for himself, won a couple of championship rings, made lots of money, and then decided to make a life,changing decision. He could have had his pick of any team in the nba, he could have gone Hollywood on us as so many stars do, he could have turned his back on his raising but he didn't. He decided to go back to his decidedly dumpy hometown and promise them that he would bring a championship to a championship starved town.

He set numerous records in these finals for points scored, triple doubles, and probably time played. He undoubtedly had star performances in the final game from many of his teammates, but in the end Lebron James willed this. He lead by example. He didn't listen to all the naysayers who claimed he didn't have the killer instinct or it couldn't be done down 3-1. He brushed away comparisons to other greats modestly saying they who were they were and he was who he was. He did it his way, all the way. His dedication, perseverance, loyalty, effort, and leadership was on display for all to see and emulate. The sheer force of his will drug this team to the pinnacle of his sport and made good on his promise to bring a championship to his hometown.

Lebrons place in the pantheon of basketball greats is already assured, but last night as he put an exclamation point on his performance by flying all of his 260 pounds through the air to ferociously block and easy layup by golden state in the last minute of the game I realized I was watching a man who was giving every last ounce of his being to accomplish his dream. For all his basketball greatness, At the end of that game last night, I discovered that I most respected Lebron James for being a man and showing the rest of us what being a man really meant. Thank you King James.

What numerous records did he set? He has more 20 point games in the championship series and he is to ten in points rebounds and assists. What did I miss?

Check out the playoff stats. Only the third person in history to score triple double in game 7. I believe only person to score 40 or more points in back to back finals games.

List of career achievements by LeBron James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael Jordan averaged 41 points a game for a six game championship series. In fact had four straight 40 point games in the series.

Third person in history means there is no record. It means it was done two other times.

Don't forget the past, lots of greats and no heroes in sports. They get paid to play a game. Heroes are doctors, those that fought for the United States in wars, firefighters and teachers, police officers and on and on. Getting a trophy for a city is a feel good story, no heroes.

Last edited:
Check out the playoff stats. Only the third person in history to score triple double in game 7. I believe only person to score 40 or more points in back to back finals games.

List of career achievements by LeBron James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael Jordan averaged 41 points a game for a six game championship series. In fact had four straight 40 point games in the series.

Third person in history means there is no record. It means it was done two other times.

Don't forget the past, lots of greats and no here's in sports. They get paid to play a game. Heroes are doctors, those that fought for the United States in wars, firefighters and teachers, police officers and on and on. Getting a trophy for a city is a feel good story, no heroes.

The only people that are heroes are the men that stepped off boats onto Omaha or Tarawa beach straight into blistering enemy mg, mortar, howizter, and sniper fire.

Everyone else are good citizens doing what they can. The hero worship in this culture is just out of control.

Do not abuse the word, "Hero." It refers to someone who places himself at risk for the benefit of his comrades. Firefighters are "heroes." Soldiers are "heroes." Someone who helps out another driver who is in trouble on a dark highway is a "hero." No one who plays a game for a living is a "hero."
He's a Superhero

The Spotlight Segue

LeBron James is a really interesting case. He went straight from high school to the NBA, and pronounced the special (and controversial) spotlight of athletes skipping school in preference for sports, a conspicuous element perhaps in our new age of profiteerism-based marketing.

When I was in high school (1992-1996), our boys' cross-country team (Eastern High School - Voorhees, NJ) did very well in my four years there, winning its conference and placing handsomely in state competitions, however, we were supposed to be superior. Our #2 runner moved to another state, where he became that state's top-ranked runner. Our #3 and #4 runners were, at times, injured, and I was trained to be an effective contributor but succumbed early to a career-ending injury. We always thought fondly of what our team was able to accomplish and thought romantically of what our team could have accomplished were it not for the turn of bad fortunes.

Athletics is so dramatic and lyrical, and if we valuate it far higher than the educational base which affords athletes a necessary 'plan-B' (in case of career-ending injuries), then we're at risk of putting the lives of these athletes in circumstances of unnecessary risk, a cardinality which, I think, creates our current 'culture of steroids.'

I think the real heroism of LeBron is his peculiar ability to balance media spotlight with athletic ambition.

x-c.jpg lebron.png

yeah l
Jackie Robinson was a "hero" because he voluntarily subjected himself to massive abuse, in order to ultimately benefit other "Negro" players who deserved to play in MLB, but were denied that opportunity through racism.

LeBron is, from all indications, a sterling individual. Not only is he one of the best basketball players ever to play, but he displays leadership, grace, and good judgment in his personal life. One hopes that millions of people will follow his example of hard work, persistence, and the pursuit of excellence.

But he is no "hero."

Any cop who works in a high crime area is a "hero."

exactly.Robinson was a hero.Lebron is HARDLY a hero.:rolleyes::uhoh3:

Forum List

Back