A tribute to the lowly apple

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Could there be a more wonderful food? Cheap, plentiful, long-lasting, and diverse.

I was never a huge fan of raw apples, find the skin off-putting and I'm too lazy to enjoy peeling them. But as a mother, I have found if I have apples, potatoes, flour and basic cooking ingredients, I can keep kids happy and feed a large group with very little expense.

I had something like 6 kids here for a couple of days, and depended heavily upon apples. Whole apples, peeled and served with cheese or caramel sauce, cooked in pie, made up as a sauce.

The kids don't like it cooked with pork, but I do and so do most adults.

But they never get tired of apples. Which is why I love the apple. It's so superior to the orange....or jicama.

I dunno Allie. That orange is almost irreplaceable in my house,, it's the basis of all my summer time fruit salads..but I too love apples..Red Delicious is my favorite.

$Apple.jpg

AHH!! :scared1:

• Banned
I dunno Allie. That orange is almost irreplaceable in my house,, it's the basis of all my summer time fruit salads..but I too love apples..Red Delicious is my favorite.

Oranges are too short-lived, and don't lend themselves much to cooking. And you can never tell what you're getting! Sometimes they're okay, sometimes they're vile. You can't tell juicy from dry or bitter by looking at them.

But my kids love oranges, too.

Granny smith is my fave apple.

Oranges are too short-lived, and don't lend themselves much to cooking. And you can never tell what you're getting! Sometimes they're okay, sometimes they're vile. You can't tell juicy from dry or bitter by looking at them.

buy navel oranges.. almost always delicious.. very seldom have I gone wrong with a navel

I always have a bowl of fruit on my table.

apples are a permanent resident of the fruit bowl. i rotate other season fruit; peaches, nectarines, cherries oranges. everything except bananas (yuck)

• Banned
Bananas are great, but they have limited shelf life too. And if the kids don't want a banana, there's not much to be done with them.

I too, keep a bowl of fruit on the kitchen table.

Currently there are bananas, apples, oranges and pears. I do love bing cherries too, and peaches, nectarines.

Neither of us like any kind of melon, odd I'd say. I wish I did like it!

I always have a bowl of fruit on my table.

apples are a permanent resident of the fruit bowl. i rotate other season fruit; peaches, nectarines, cherries oranges. everything except bananas (yuck)

oh god, those Rainier Cherries are in the stores now.. it dosen't come any better than that!

Bananas are great, but they have limited shelf life too. And if the kids don't want a banana, there's not much to be done with them.

Freeze banana for about 15 - 20 minutes.. serve to kids with some Hershey's chocolate syrup.dip frozen banana is choc. . yum yum..

If you buy Sunkist oranges that at least look nice on the outside, you have a better than 90% chance of getting good ones.

I'm not always strict about brand name foods, but when it comes to oranges you get what you pay for. My local supermarkets don't always even have Sunkist, sometimes it's just generic "florida oranges". Don't even bother.

Fruit is so damn good.

And EZ, how can you not like watermelon???

Forum List

Back