A traitorous scumbag died 142 years ago today

If you understood American history and how this country was created and understood the united states was not the United States of America, but a group of states with their own sovereignty,
You would not be such a horses ass.
Lee did not betray his country he defended it.

Last edited:
He was a traitor to the United States Of America.

It is pretty easy for pompous assholes to declare people traitors or heroes, isn't it? The simple fact is that the people who were alive back then did not judge him a traitor, he was not even charged. That tells me that they had more character than anyone that would pronounce judgement on a person they have never met.

It is pretty easy for pompous assholes to declare people traitors or heroes, isn't it? The simple fact is that the people who were alive back then did not judge him a traitor, he was not even charged. That tells me that they had more character than anyone that would pronounce judgement on a person they have never met.

Actually it was because Andrew Johnson pardoned everyone shortly after the war so no one could be charged with treason. Lee did lose his voting rights and status as a United States citizen though as well as most of his land.

Actually it was because Andrew Johnson pardoned everyone shortly after the war so no one could be charged with treason. Lee did lose his voting rights and status as a United States citizen though as well as most of his land.

Johnson Pardon was due to his discussion and advisement from a couple of supreme court justices because they was not any laws broken.

Last edited:
Robert E. Lee was a traitor the same way George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were traitors, and the same way anybody oppressed by their own government is a traitor. The word "traitor" means nothing.

Johnson Pardon was due to his discussion and advisement from a couple of supreme court justices because they was not any laws broken.

Kind of depends on how you look at it I guess. The north certainly disagreed enough to try to toss Johnson out on his ass. The point is there were plenty of people in the north that wanted Lee tried for treason but Lincoln wouldn't have it because he wanted the nation to heal and not seek revenge, and Johnson, as I said before, issued a pardon to the entire south rendering the whole thing moot anyhow.

They did however, let him keep his house....after turning his grounds into Arlington Cemetary so every day he would see the graves of the soldiers he helped kill.

He actually granted amnesty, not pardons, there is a difference. Since you brought up the fact that the 14th Amendment stripped the Confederates of their citizenship, I feel compelled to point out that, since Congress retroactively restore Lee's rights to a point before he lost them, he never actually lost them.

Last edited:

He actually granted amnesty, not pardons, there is a difference. Since you brought up the fact that the 14th Amendment stripped the Confederates of their citizenship, I feel compelled to point out that, since Congress retroactively restore Lee's rights to a point before he lost them, he never actually lost them.

Hmmmm.......so if I can't make my mortgage payment because I am in a legal dispute with my employer and I lose my house, and a year later I win the case and get back pay retroactive to before that time....does that mean I never lost my house?

I mean come on guys. The whole point is that Lee wasn't charged because of political reasons. It wasn't because he was so revered by north and south that no one would dream of doing so. There were MANY in the north that wanted his head on a pike...perhaps even most.

Hmmmm.......so if I can't make my mortgage payment because I am in a legal dispute with my employer and I lose my house, and a year later I win the case and get back pay retroactive to before that time....does that mean I never lost my house?

I mean come on guys. The whole point is that Lee wasn't charged because of political reasons. It wasn't because he was so revered by north and south that no one would dream of doing so. There were MANY in the north that wanted his head on a pike...perhaps even most.
perhaps even most.
If that were true then most of the leadership[ of the Confederacy would have been hanged,

He wasn't charged, that is the only point. Calling him a traitor. or a hero, is your pompous ass opinion, not a fact.

Please note that I have not actually stated a pompous ass opinion here.

He wasn't charged, that is the only point. Calling him a traitor. or a hero, is your pompous ass opinion, not a fact.

Please note that neither have I stated a position on whether he was a hero or a traitor

perhaps even most.
If that were true then most of the leadership[ of the Confederacy would have been hanged,

Not necessarily. As I said. Lincoln wouldn't have it. He felt the war was over and it was time to reunite, not go tear assing across the south gathering heads. That position pissed a lot of northerners off and when Johnson took over he was even more lenient

Please note that neither have I stated a position on whether he was a hero or a traitor

Point taken, my apologies.

Forum List

Back