A Toy Is Saving Troops' Lives in Iraq

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
It Sounds Silly, But Toy Is Saving Troops' Lives
By Rebecca Santana, Associated Press
December 10, 2006

Mom shipping Silly String to Iraq to help detect trip wires

STRATFORD, N.J. -- In an age of multimillion-dollar high-tech weapons systems, sometimes the simplest ideas can save lives. Which is why a New Jersey mother is organizing a drive to send cans of Silly String to Iraq.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

A New Jersey woman who wants to send Silly String to U.S. troops in Iraq to help them detect trip wires is accepting donations of money to help cover costs. The U.S. Postal Service will not ship the aerosol cans by air.

Checks can be made out to Marcelle Shriver (above) and sent to St. Luke's Church, 55 Warwick Road, Stratford, N.J. 08084.

Shriver also is collecting names and addresses of soldiers and Marines in Iraq who may need Silly String. Suggestions should be sent to [email protected]. -- Associated Press

American troops use the stuff to detect trip wires around bombs, as Marcelle Shriver learned from her son, a soldier in Iraq.

Before entering a building, troops squirt the plastic goo, which can shoot strands about 10 to 12 feet, across the room. If it falls to the ground, no trip wires. If it hangs in the air, they know they have a problem. The wires are otherwise nearly invisible.

for full article:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061210/LOCAL17/612100450/1012

Living in NJ, I've heard a lot about this story the past week. Hey, whatever works!

I could have prevented a few thousand explosions over the years with the amount of that stuff I've covered friends in!

Sorry, CSM. There's just too much to keep up with on this board unless you spend 24/7 tuned in. It's not the first time there's been a duplicate post, and it won't be the last. What a person doesn't catch in one section of the board, maybe they will in another; so maybe duplicate posts occasionally are not a waste of time.

Sorry, CSM. There's just too much to keep up with on this board unless you spend 24/7 tuned in. It's not the first time there's been a duplicate post, and it won't be the last. What a person doesn't catch in one section of the board, maybe they will in another; so maybe duplicate posts occasionally are not a waste of time.

Relax...I was just yanking yer chain(s)! How else am I going to get the attention I crave?

Forum List

Back