A Time To Mourn

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Jan 1, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I think we as Americans especially should read this, its a powerful look at the tragic events of this week and how we should look at them.

2. alias

alias Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is wrong to make people feel bad when they have a sense of satisfaction that the world has responded generously in this great disaster. Just because one might feel good that the world has responded generously does not mean that the horror of what has happened escapes attention. Friends that I was with yesterday were excited that America had offered $350M, but that did not diminish our understanding of the magnitude of the devastation. It is ok for America to feel good about responding positively to the events in South Asia. Japan's offer of $500M made today is great news.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I disagree. There is to be no satisfaction in any of this. I've experienced this myself, I felt good for about 3 minutes after I donated to the American Red Cross on Amazon.com... now i'm back to feeling helpless, waiting for my carrier task force to get called upon and help. And I bet that if we get sent in the next few weeks, when we help, it will feel good for a while, but in the end, it will still feel crappy. In the end, all I can do is pray for the victims, the survivors and be grateful I'm a citizen of a nation that is very generous and caring (America), unlike others (the Arab states, China, North Korea, Burma), as I do my best to understand and comprehend the gravity of the devastation.

In the end, you feel more of a grim resolve than a satisfaction.

I'm glad you dissent though. Its nice to exchange views.

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    :salute:

Good for you NATO, I contributed here as well.

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    This catastrophe is still difficult to get your head wrapped around the immensity of it....

...the earth wobbled...

God bless the innocent victims.