a thumbnail of 1950 prices...what is really getting more expensive?

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1950 Prices[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]US President[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bread:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.14/loaf[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Harry S. Truman[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Milk:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.82/gal[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]US Vice President[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Eggs:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.70/doz[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Alben W. Barkley [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Car:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $1,750[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Academy Award Winners[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Gas:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.27/gal[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Picture:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]All About Eve[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Directed By Joseph L Mankiewicz[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Actor:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Jose Ferrer[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]in Cyrano De Bergerac[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Actress:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Judy Holliday[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]in Born Yesterday[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]House:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $14,500[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Stamp:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.03/ea[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Avg Income:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $3,815/yr[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Min Wage:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.75/hr[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]DOW Avg:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] 235[/SIZE][/FONT]

source

Compare the prices of things to the minimum wage.

Bread for example was 1/5 one hours minimum wage.

It's now about 1/2 one hour's salary.

Gas, OTOH, seems to be (today at least) holding price at about the same 1-3 ration that it held in 1950.

Eggs have actually come down significantly in price to minimum wages.

Homes?

Well yeah, who can say since the price of homes is in flux right now.

Last edited:
You know.. the more money the federal reserve makes...the less money is valued at...therefore everytime they make more money at the federal reserve..the more prices go up and the value of the dollar goes down.

Jamie

I obtained a $100,000.00 CD yesterday and the best interest I could get for 12 months was 2.05%. Pretty sad. In 1950 you could have gotten a lot more interest than that. Wish the bank would lend me as much money as I would like to borrow for 2.05%!

I obtained a $100,000.00 CD yesterday and the best interest I could get for 12 months was 2.05%. Pretty sad. In 1950 you could have gotten a lot more interest than that. Wish the bank would lend me as much money as I would like to borrow for 2.05%!

It's all about the power of the dollar these days. Obama thinks we can spend our way out of debt, but what hes really doing is devaluing the dollar even more by having the federal reserve make more money for the stimulus package. Soon, the dollar will be worth something in the negative.

Jamie

Forum List

Back