CDZ A thought on armed teachers - how we could make it work

The only problem I see with arming teachers is that most teachers are libs, who wet themselves if they had to conceal carry.

The only problem I see with arming teachers is that most teachers are libs, who wet themselves if they had to conceal carry.

That's why hiring veterans would work so much better....well most there are few loose in the noodle vets out there. A couple post here

My wife is a public school teacher - 21 years in

one of her co-workers is retired military, Air Force Major

my thought - EVERY public school should have one ex military officer for every 100 - 150 kids enrolled

these teachers would be specially licensed to carry a firearm at the school

this would be in addition to the SRO (School Resource Officer) & would provide backup and added protection; the SRO would be the "point man" and be "in charge" in an emergency situation

so - a school with 500 students would have an SRO (real police officer) and FIVE trained and armed teachers for protection and emergency situations - for a total of 6 people trained and armed to secure the school

these ex military teachers (could also be retired police, or similar field) would receive an additional $5,000 - $10,000 per year for their added responsibility (that works out to $250 - $500 a month in pay - seems fair) and would be responsible to attend training and anti terrorism instructions at least once a quarter - all of them get together and run training exorcises and study and practice best hiding places for students; best modes of exit, etc)

I could easily see a state like Alabama or Louisiana piloting and testing a system like this & I also think it would work - IE reduce the number of shootings/incidents; because the knowledge of the added security would serve as a deterrent - would make schools less of a soft target

many schools already have ex military on staff that could already participate

what do y'all think of that?

One does not have to be ex-military or a former policeman to be competent to handle a firearm. All is needed is a little training for those that need it. But this and of itself is not going to solve the problem.............a three pronged approach is needed..........1. Force Schools to deal with bullies.......a major source of motivation for school shooters....they have been or are being bullied and the school does not deal with it. 2. Make sure mentally ill people cannot legally obtain weapons. 3. Arm the teachers and school administrators.

I disagree on a "little" training for armed teachers
Dealing with an active shooter is a difficult situation. Many cops can't handle it
There needs to be serious training and strict rules of engagement before we allow armed teachers
No matter how many times you are told that you cannot be trained for being shot at you keep repeating the same ignorant bullshit. Why is that? You don't want to keep killers out of schools do you? All you can do is try to keep your wits about you and shoot back. If someone has a gun in a school and is killing people or trying to, that should enough for even the most simple minded fool to know they are the threat and to shoot them.

Cops are trained all the time
Active shooter is an extremely stressful situation. Expecting untrained teachers to react correctly and not do more damage is unreasonable

Ridiculous idea....people have an innate sense of self defense and if they have the means they will do what is required. Also...we are calling for the teachers to be trained. Let me ax you a question........if you are in a schoolroom and some nutcase with a weapon is coming down the hallway headed for your classroom....would you rather rely on hiding under your desk and calling 911 or would you rather have your teacher armed and ready to respond to the threat? Under which scenario would you think you have a better chance of surviving.

my thought - EVERY public school should have one ex military officer for every 100 - 150 kids enrolled

this would be in addition to the SRO (School Resource Officer) & would provide backup and added protection; the SRO would be the "point man" and be "in charge" in an emergency situation

so - a school with 500 students would have an SRO (real police officer) and FIVE trained and armed teachers for protection and emergency situations - for a total of 6 people trained and armed to secure the school

these ex military teachers (could also be retired police, or similar field) would receive an additional $5,000 - $10,000 per year for their added responsibility (that works out to $250 - $500 a month in pay - seems fair) and would be responsible to attend training and anti terrorism instructions at least once a quarter - all of them get together and run training exorcises and study and practice best hiding places for students; best modes of exit, etc)

I could easily see a state like Alabama or Louisiana piloting and testing a system like this & I also think it would work - IE reduce the number of shootings/incidents; because the knowledge of the added security would serve as a deterrent - would make schools less of a soft target

One does not have to be ex-military or a former policeman to be competent to handle a firearm. All is needed is a little training for those that need it. But this and of itself is not going to solve the problem.............a three pronged approach is needed..........1. Force Schools to deal with bullies.......a major source of motivation for school shooters....they have been or are being bullied and the school does not deal with it. 2. Make sure mentally ill people cannot legally obtain weapons. 3. Arm the teachers and school administrators.

Dealing with an active shooter is a difficult situation. Many cops can't handle it
There needs to be serious training and strict rules of engagement before we allow armed teachers
No matter how many times you are told that you cannot be trained for being shot at you keep repeating the same ignorant bullshit. Why is that? You don't want to keep killers out of schools do you? All you can do is try to keep your wits about you and shoot back. If someone has a gun in a school and is killing people or trying to, that should enough for even the most simple minded fool to know they are the threat and to shoot them.

Active shooter is an extremely stressful situation. Expecting untrained teachers to react correctly and not do more damage is unreasonable

Ridiculous idea....people have an innate sense of self defense and if they have the means they will do what is required. Also...we are calling for the teachers to be trained. Let me ax you a question........if you are in a schoolroom and some nutcase with a weapon is coming down the hallway headed for your classroom....would you rather rely on hiding under your desk and calling 911 or would you rather have your teacher armed and ready to respond to the threat? Under which scenario would you think you have a better chance of surviving.

Some left loon site advocated arming them with canned goods. Sweet Jebus a can of beans against a 9MM?

That's why hiring veterans would work so much better....well most there are few loose in the noodle vets out there. A couple post here

A liberal woud be just as motivated to save their lives and those of their students as a conservative would be....when it comes down to the nitty gritty just about everyone would do their best to survive and their chances on survival would be much better if they are armed and trained. I think it would also be good for a school to have a couple of security guards at least...and that is where veterans fit into the equation. The armed security people would be very appropriate for the entrances to the schools...the government sets aside funds for people to help the kids cross streets (crossing guards) so they could add a few more to that program and arm them and post them at the entrances and perhaps require the kids to enter the school at a entrance equipped with a metal detector. A lot of common sense things can be done and it would not be all that expensive....look at how they waste billions of dollars on the bussing programs. Ever seen a liberal complain about that? But they wanna squawk and groan about the costs of defending the lives of students? Ridiculous.

A liberal woud be just as motivated to save their lives and those of their students as a conservative would be....when it comes down to the nitty gritty just about everyone would do their best to survive and their chances on survival would be much better if they are armed and trained. I think it would also be good for a school to have a couple of security guards at least...and that is where veterans fit into the equation. The armed security people would be very appropriate for the entrances to the schools...the government sets aside funds for people to help the kids cross streets (crossing guards) so they could add a few more to that program and arm them and post them at the entrances and perhaps require the kids to enter the school at a entrance equipped with a metal detector.

Our children's school has armed security and metal detectors.

I can't see any value in it all. Stop worrying about all the control freak bullshit and just let the teachers who want to carry, carry. Problem solved. Not one of these retarded lib freaks has came with anything that will stop it except the tired and worn out taking more guns away from people who had nothing to do with it.

Take a deep breath there, Mike. You will feel better soon.
I don't feel bad at all. All these people all over wringing their hands and proposing all these "solutions" and coming up with all kind of schemes is ridiculous. Not talking about the OP, just in general. All these pricks want is eventual gun removal which will make crime skyrocket.
There have been 18 school shootings SO FAR THIS YEAR!!!!!!! 6 WEEKS!!!!! But doing nothing is ok?

That stat is a lie. It has been disproven.

A guy shooting out a parked school bus window with a pellet gun is not a school shooting. Neither is a suicide in a parked car on school grounds after the school is empty. Did you know that is the kind of crap you are spouting?

Very interesting to say the least. Why do you see Alabama or Louisiana as easy testing grounds for said program?
Two states that I think would be receptive to the idea and be easier to pass this and test the idea

Texas already allows this on a smaller scale, but not as a matter of actual policy

Doesn't Texas lock the doors and station 2 or 3 teacher's, resource officers at front door with an overhead security camera and you have to pass through these people in to get into the school?

I like the idea of metal detector's and door locking after everyone reports to school.

I spoke with a resource officer yesterday at our local schools he said it would be a nightmare if every teacher had a gun. It would make it very difficult when a swat team arrived to distinguish legal gun carrying teachers from the bad guys. But maybe just a few trained ex military is a good idea.

When the SWAT team arrives, the shooting is usually all over!

It's become pretty bad when the only solution to America's school violence is bringing in the police, military, ex military... and where does the money come from by the way? Maybe we should start studying what other countries do that have better education results and much less violence in their schools?

agree. But then, I think if we spent more on education we would have a better society and probably fewer of these tragedie
We've tried pouring more money in

Let the public license know schools have armed and trained teachers

I like this better than tossing 2nd ammendment

tossing the 2nd Amendment will not stop the shooters

a good guy with a gun would

Though the media tries to not talk about when a good guy takes out a bad guy with a gun....it happens quite often and Arming at least some of the teachers in the schools would be a huge step in the right direction. How long does it take the cops to get to a school? Too long............a teacher on the spot with a weapon would be very helpful...and the more of them the better....anyone that cannot grasp that is very coinfused.

out here in the sticks it takes a long time

could be 20 to 45 minutes after a call

cant go into the details

but it is several fully trained armed staff members involved

It is really not that complicated though you are attempting to make it complicated. Let me illustrate..............a teacher trained in the use of a firearm and has one in a holster on his hip is teaching class....he hears gunfire. He then puts into a place a drill practiced like kids practice with a fire alarm.....in this case we could call it a 'shooter alarm'...the teacher barricades the door as quickly as possible...thes would have been previously practiced many times...........directs the kids to a part of the room farthest from the door...positions himself between the door and his kids......perhaps using his desk as cover...has his weapon ready to fire if the shooter is able to get through the door. Not complicated at all. Just simple self defense....and the more training the better. If schools have fire alarms why not 'shooter alarms' to make sure everyone knows what to do and can do it quickly.

I do not totally oppose having trained teachers who are permitted to carry concealed. I do not want open carry in schools

Raises a lot of issues on level of training, ability to handle an active shooter situation and expectation of the ability of a teacher to confront a gunman with an AR-15 using only a handgun

It works in the movies where the good guy always gets the bad guy despite overwhelming odds. In real life, an innocent student could get killed or the teacher could be confused with the gunman when the police arrive
There is no training for someone shooting at you. It is pretty simple though for most people with any sense. If the shooting starts, take cover, or shoot back or a combination there of. In the current situation made possible by the government who protects us all, it plays out like this: The shooting starts, lots of people die.

Police go to weeks of training on how to engage a shooter and they still make mistakes
Much like police, an untrained teacher would be jumping at shadows and firing at anything that looks like a threat

An armed teacher could kill a shooter.....but there are also risks
There's always risks. And the cops train for weeks with NO ONE shooting at them. There is no training on how to be shot at. LOL jumping at shadows. If the shadow has a gun shoot it. But lets face it all you RL's want is a gun ban, and that will not stop shootings.

I volunteer training the military in urban combat by shooting at them and they shoot at me also! We just use non-lethal simunition rounds and paintballs. They don't kill you but they do hurt!

We also use automatic weapons with blanks. Try keeping your cool with an AK-47 on full auto is shooting at you!

I can't see any value in it all. Stop worrying about all the control freak bullshit and just let the teachers who want to carry, carry. Problem solved. Not one of these retarded lib freaks has came with anything that will stop it except the tired and worn out taking more guns away from people who had nothing to do with it.

Take a deep breath there, Mike. You will feel better soon.
I don't feel bad at all. All these people all over wringing their hands and proposing all these "solutions" and coming up with all kind of schemes is ridiculous. Not talking about the OP, just in general. All these pricks want is eventual gun removal which will make crime skyrocket.
There have been 18 school shootings SO FAR THIS YEAR!!!!!!! 6 WEEKS!!!!! But doing nothing is ok?

That number is also largely propaganda, and has little to do with the actual school shootings we are discussing. When the list was published after the Kentucky school shooting, it included so bogus additions to the list. At least 2 of them were suicides by students. The fact that they used a gun was incidental. They would have done it anyway. One of the "school shootings" on that list is a pellet gun shooting of a school bus window. And one of the "school shootings" was a 30something year old man who committed suicide in the parking lot of an empty school. But the fact that he used a gun in an empty school parking lot makes it the same as some lunatic killing 12 or 17 kids? No. This kind of smear propaganda does no one any good.
Okay then 14 SHOOTINGS AT SCHOOLS THIS YEAR!!!!! IN 6 WEEKS!!!!!!

Is that better somehow? :biggrin:

There have actually been about 3. One in KY that killed two, one in Texas that killed one, and then the Florida shootings. There may be one or two more, but I don't recall them.

It's become pretty bad when the only solution to America's school violence is bringing in the police, military, ex military... and where does the money come from by the way? Maybe we should start studying what other countries do that have better education results and much less violence in their schools?

To begin with America is very different from most countries. We have a culture of violence here to begin with(thanks to hollywood and the glorification of violence) then we have a huge racial problem that most countries do not have etc. But not everyone is claiming the only solution is to bring in the police or the military. Of course the police would be called as quickly as possible but whilst they are enroute is when most of the killing goes on....if the teachers were armed....a big plus. Definitely would help.

I do not totally oppose having trained teachers who are permitted to carry concealed. I do not want open carry in schools

Raises a lot of issues on level of training, ability to handle an active shooter situation and expectation of the ability of a teacher to confront a gunman with an AR-15 using only a handgun

It works in the movies where the good guy always gets the bad guy despite overwhelming odds. In real life, an innocent student could get killed or the teacher could be confused with the gunman when the police arrive
There is no training for someone shooting at you. It is pretty simple though for most people with any sense. If the shooting starts, take cover, or shoot back or a combination there of. In the current situation made possible by the government who protects us all, it plays out like this: The shooting starts, lots of people die.

Police go to weeks of training on how to engage a shooter and they still make mistakes
Much like police, an untrained teacher would be jumping at shadows and firing at anything that looks like a threat

There's always risks. And the cops train for weeks with NO ONE shooting at them. There is no training on how to be shot at. LOL jumping at shadows. If the shadow has a gun shoot it. But lets face it all you RL's want is a gun ban, and that will not stop shootings.

I volunteer training the military in urban combat by shooting at them and they shoot at me also! We just use non-lethal simunition rounds and paintballs. They don't kill you but they do hurt!

We also use automatic weapons with blanks. Try keeping your cool with an AK-47 on full auto is shooting at you!

Try hiding under a desk with no one between you and a shooter....hoping the police will get there in time...unfortunately all too often they do not. Above all try using a little common sense.

That number is also largely propaganda, and has little to do with the actual school shootings we are discussing. When the list was published after the Kentucky school shooting, it included so bogus additions to the list. At least 2 of them were suicides by students. The fact that they used a gun was incidental. They would have done it anyway. One of the "school shootings" on that list is a pellet gun shooting of a school bus window. And one of the "school shootings" was a 30something year old man who committed suicide in the parking lot of an empty school. But the fact that he used a gun in an empty school parking lot makes it the same as some lunatic killing 12 or 17 kids? No. This kind of smear propaganda does no one any good.

The shooting in KY was the first fatalities in school shootings that were not self-inflicted. I know of 2 actual school shootings (of the type we are discussing). While both are tragic, including a suicide by a 35 year old man in an empty parking lot, or 2 gangbangers shooting at each other are not the issue being discussed.

An armed shooter trying to kill as many as possible? There have been 2 in 2018.
Okay then 2 MASS SHOOTINGS AT SCHOOLS THIS YEAR!!!!! IN 6 WEEKS!!!!!!

It's better than the whacked out source that everyone has been quoting as being 18 so far this year.

The shooting in KY was the first fatalities in school shootings that were not self-inflicted. I know of 2 actual school shootings (of the type we are discussing). While both are tragic, including a suicide by a 35 year old man in an empty parking lot, or 2 gangbangers shooting at each other are not the issue being discussed.

An armed shooter trying to kill as many as possible? There have been 2 in 2018.
Okay then 2 MASS SHOOTINGS AT SCHOOLS THIS YEAR!!!!! IN 6 WEEKS!!!!!!

It's better than the whacked out source that everyone has been quoting as being 18 so far this year.

Sadly the 18 is embedded in the left's mind as fact now. The dangers of media

Try hiding under a desk with no one between you and a shooter....hoping the police will get there in time...unfortunately all too often they do not. Above all try using a little common sense.

What does your post have to do with mine?

So when teachers have to spend money out of their own pocket at virtually EVERY school, so the kids will have what they need, the answer is "No!". But when it comes to spending lots of money to arm teachers for a relatively rare occurrance, somehow the money is there?

Will these retired military "teachers" be able to teach? People spend years learning to do it, and the test scores are still slipping. People with no experience will be able to do the job?

We spend a lot on education. Where is the money going?

Money will not fix the problems with our public schools and there are many problems....the only ones willing to talk about it are retired...and not even many of them will...just too controversial. No one wants to be labeled a racist.

Forum List

Back