A Teachable Moment on Important Issue

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Wow, this blew me away. Our littlest are being spun to, parents need to be aware. Metaphors are nearly impossible to explain to kids, though they can understand them, if you set it up right:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/07/wisdom_from_the.html
Wisdom from the mouths of babes...
Posted By Froggy

It's funny how parents and children begin to discuss complicated topics and funnier still how sometimes those children can crystallize a concept by using the most innocent of metaphors--a fairy tale.

Driving around this morning, my 5 year old daughter mentioned to me that "on a kid's show" she learned that honey bees and people both "go on migrations" after hearing the word immigration on the radio. Sensing that she had been subtley spun by the producers of one of her favorite PBS "kid shows", I decided to take the opportunity to clarify her understanding. I told her that it is true that people migrate, but that before they do so, they are supposed to ask permission. I told her that many people in the world want to migrate to America because we live in the best country in the world, but some of them just come here without asking or receiving our permission first. I was concerned that she was unable to comprehend this, but my fears were unfounded.

"Daddy," she said, "that's just like Goldilocks and the three bears."

"Yes princess, it is just like that," I replied. "Goldilocks went into the bear's house without asking, ate their porridge, slept in their beds, and left the house all messy."

Which is in effect what illegal aliens do in America.

Posted by Froggy | July 04, 2006

Don't forget though, that those illegals come in because they provide a cheap, easily exploitable labor pool for the many US individuals and companies that hire them. They keep coming because nobody, except the Deliverance wing of the GOP, wants to upset that apple cart.

Bullypulpit said:
Don't forget though, that those illegals come in because they provide a cheap, easily exploitable labor pool for the many US individuals and companies that hire them. They keep coming because nobody, except the Deliverance wing of the GOP, wants to upset that apple cart.

So, what you're saying is that anyone who is concerned with American sovereignty, or our dwindling status as a nation of laws, is a slack-jawed, drooling yokel. You'd never make it in politics, Bully - you wear your hatred and contempt a bit too brazenly. But, I'll say this - you're blurting out what America's two most dangerous enemies - liberals and neocons - truly feel in their hearts.

musicman said:
So, what you're saying is that anyone who is concerned with American sovereignty, or our dwindling status as a nation of laws, is a slack-jawed, drooling yokel. You'd never make it in politics, Bully - you wear your hatred and contempt a bit too brazenly. But, I'll say this - you're blurting out what America's two most dangerous enemies - liberals and neocons - truly feel in their hearts.

America's greatest enemy is ignorance...Which Chimpy's administration brazenly capitalizes on.

Bullypulpit said:
America's greatest enemy is ignorance...Which Chimpy's administration brazenly capitalizes on.

You're starting to sound like a tape loop, man. Would you like to address my post at all - or have I reached Bully's pre-recorded message site: "Chimpy...educated and engaged electorate...Deliverance Wing of the GOP...real consequences - now - in this world...cognitive dissonance...cognitive dissonance...this is a recording..."?

Forum List

Back