A Tea Party Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Merry Hyatt, Tea Party Patriot, Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

It's called the "Freedom to Present Christmas Music in Public School Classrooms or Assemblies" initiative.

Merry Hyatt, a substitute teacher and member of the Redding Tea Party Patriots, is behind the push. The Record Searchlight reports:

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

Parents are allowed to have their students opt out of the caroling if they express that desire in advance.

The initiative has the support of the local Tea Party Patriots president.

Isn't the Tea Parties purpose suppose to be limited Government, not having the Government control our lives, etc. Doesn't this go directly against that?

Sounds like to me more people using the whole concept of "tea parties" to further their own agenda. Thoughts?

Does this mean schools will be able to sing Obama songs again?

your thread title and the initiative's purpose, according to the OP, do not mesh...

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.

whats wrong with providing an opportunity? seems you are against freedom....

your thread title and the initiative's purpose, according to the OP, do not mesh...

whats wrong with providing an opportunity? seems you are against freedom....

Yes, I agree.

So much for that teabagger being for freedom.

Freedom means the FREEDOM to express yourself, you pea brained nitwit.

SUPPRESSION is refusing people the right to do so.

So how is it elminating freedom to allow children the opportunity to sing Christmas carols?

Merry Hyatt, Tea Party Patriot, Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

It's called the "Freedom to Present Christmas Music in Public School Classrooms or Assemblies" initiative.

Merry Hyatt, a substitute teacher and member of the Redding Tea Party Patriots, is behind the push. The Record Searchlight reports:

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

Parents are allowed to have their students opt out of the caroling if they express that desire in advance.

Isn't the Tea Parties purpose suppose to be limited Government, not having the Government control our lives, etc. Doesn't this go directly against that?

Sounds like to me more people using the whole concept of "tea parties" to further their own agenda. Thoughts?

The Tea in his Tea Party stands for Theocracy.

The First Amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
What was it you were saying?

What was it you were saying?

Public Schools are a entirely different story bub. If you ever been to school, you would know the 1st amendment means jack and shit.
Really?

I seem to recall a SCOTUS ruling where they stated that schools could not interfere with the right of students to express their religious beliefs.

What was that based upon? Oh yeah. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Really?

I seem to recall a SCOTUS ruling where they stated that schools could not interfere with the right of students to express their religious beliefs.

What was that based upon? Oh yeah. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

The school mandating what the students should be doing is an entirely different matter. Which is why students are not required to stand for the pledge.

The students can do whatever they damn well please to express their religious beliefs as long as it's nonviolent. This is a different matter though.

Besides, you forgot to mention that the other parts of the 1st amendment do NOT apply in schools.

Really?

The school mandating what the students should be doing is an entirely different matter. Which is why students are not required to stand for the pledge.

The students can do whatever they damn well please to express their religious beliefs as long as it's nonviolent. This is a different matter though.

Besides, you forgot to mention that the other parts of the 1st amendment do NOT apply in schools.
Do you have any critical thinking ability at all?

The Schools are NOT mandating that the children sing Christmas songs. It mandates that the schools not INTERFERE with and provide opportunities for the children to sing Christmas songs if they wish to.

The only thing that would be illegal is for the school employees to require any student to participate or to actually lead in these songs.

Although I personally think that keeping a teacher from singing a Christmas song violates that teachers rights. The SCOTUS disagrees with Me on that one however.

Whats the word??? Indoctrination?

That would be the word.

And yet showing kids 'The Story of Stuff' is not indoctrination? Interesting view of the word 'indoctrination' you have. According to your view, giving children the opportunity to have Christmas songs is indoctrination, and playing the film 'The Story of Stuff' (which hugely inaccurate and promotes a very liberal agenda) as mandatory and part of the curriculum is fine.

You liberals are a odd bunch.

Do you have any critical thinking ability at all?

The Schools are NOT mandating that the children sing Christmas songs. It mandates that the schools not INTERFERE with and provide opportunities for the children to sing Christmas songs if they wish to.

The only thing that would be illegal is for the school employees to require any student to participate or to actually lead in these songs.

Although I personally think that keeping a teacher from singing a Christmas song violates that teachers rights. The SCOTUS disagrees with Me on that one however.

This is another attempt to do something that makes no sense. Plus, you seem to miss the whole point that this is not limited Government. This would be the Government interfering. Which is the whole opposite purpose of the Tea Party.

You should know that as soon as teachers sign a contract, they are obligated to follow that contract.

And yet showing kids 'The Story of Stuff' is not indoctrination? Interesting view of the word 'indoctrination' you have. According to your view, giving children the opportunity to have Christmas songs is indoctrination, and playing the film 'The Story of Stuff' (which hugely inaccurate and promotes a very liberal agenda) as mandatory and part of the curriculum is fine.

You liberals are a odd bunch.

Odd, I do not see where that is in the OP. Oh wait, it's not. All you're doing is once again coming in a thread to troll and go off-topic.

I have not stated my opinion on "The Story of Stuff" so for you to go out and assume I approve/disapprove it is hypocrisy on your part.

You painting all of the Liberals as the same gives me the opportunity I suppose to paint you in the same picture as Pale. Someone who is wishing for a violent revolution against the U.S. Government. Oh wait, you don't? Well hey, aren't all Conservatives the same? :confused:

You are so arrogant that the space around my posts in threads that you are apart of is surrounded by your ego.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back