A Tale Of Two Autos....

I totally agree that government intervention with taxpayer's cash BEFORE private investment dollars are sought and obtained is totally ass backwards.
However, we can take a look at many other countries that have invested in green energies and the private investment that followed the government's lead.
From someone that invests let us take a look at the current scenario of the installation stations of electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). This is the current scenario in the market TODAY:
1. Friend of mine invests in a private charging station in 2011 with his own $$$.
2. The government gives big government grants TO SOME of his competitors.
So his competititon starts off using that government $$$ to offer FREE charging to gain market exposure and share over my friend who started with his own $$.
This distorts the free market and makes no sense.
Give ALL businesses incentives to put in the INFRASTRUCTURE. Not TAX incentives, something real.
If the investor only gets permitted for 10K square feet for the development of this source of energy then let them build another 10K under the same permit. Win win situation.
But is is time real Republicans put their $$$ where their mouths are. "let the market decide" is great IF YOU ARE PART OF THE MARKET WITH YOUR $$$$$.
Most folks I know now believe that being a conservative is being saved as a born again Christian and Jesus and God will make it happen for you.
CASH is what gets it going. Conservatism needs to get back to CASH.

Try some facts- RW "estimates" of Volt are gross exageration- GM. Motor Trend Car of the Year 2011, now selling above target, now that Rush etc are giving it a rest. China and the EU now have competition in alternative energy, and our energy production have never been higher and safer, or our dependance on foreign oil lower. Change the channel, you're full of un-American Pubcrappe.Try debating facts and policy, MORONS.

Try some facts- RW "estimates" of Volt are gross exageration- GM. Motor Trend Car of the Year 2011, now selling above target, now that Rush etc are giving it a rest. China and the EU now have competition in alternative energy, and our energy production have never been higher and safer, or our dependance on foreign oil lower. Change the channel, you're full of un-American Pubcrappe.Try debating facts and policy, MORONS.

"USA Today -- Nearly six of 10 Americans — 57% — say they won't buy an all-electric car no matter the price of gas, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

That's a stiff headwind just as automakers are developing electrics to help meet tighter federal rules that could require their fleets to average as high as 62 miles per gallon in 2025. And President Obama has set a goal of a million electric vehicles in use in the U.S. by 2015.

The anti-electric sentiment unmasked by the poll shows that pure electrics — defined in the poll question as "an electric car that you could only drive for a limited number of miles at one time" — could have trouble getting a foothold in the U.S.

Such cars "are very much niche vehicles. They find acceptance among a core group of passionistas, but too many questions remain .. "

Americans say 'no' to electrics despite high gas prices - USATODAY.com

So....how many did you say you have?

Not necessary to verify the second part of my query....

Now PC, you really are behind the times. Ford has a hybrid plugin set to go on sale. The C-Max Energi, 20 miles as an ev, 47/47 as a hybrid. Already exceeds the 54.5 mpg mandate for 2025.
47 MPG isn't nearly enough to justify a new car when you consider just how expensive the new All Electric cars are. And as PC pointed out, government subsidies push the cost even higher because WE pay the taxes for that!

My wife and I just made a trip to Boston, about 880 miles round trip, in her 5 year old Toyota Yaris. Setting the cruise control to 65 we got an average of 42 miles to the gallon. 4 cylinder, fuel injected, nothing fancy. And this "technology" has been around for at least 30 years.

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 V-8 gets about 18 MPG on a good day. If I were to trade that truck in for a Prius you know how long it would take (in fuel savings) to pay off the Prius?

27 years.

Who the f*ck owns a car for that long? Almost no one.

I don't know why you own a Dodge Ram (truck), but I know I own one because it has a job to do. I also know for a fact that a Prius wouldn't be able to move my stock trailer, my trailer home, or bring in 2-3 tons of hay. So govt can hawk their puny piss-ant cars all they want, I'll still need a truck.

"USA Today -- Nearly six of 10 Americans — 57% — say they won't buy an all-electric car no matter the price of gas, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

That's a stiff headwind just as automakers are developing electrics to help meet tighter federal rules that could require their fleets to average as high as 62 miles per gallon in 2025. And President Obama has set a goal of a million electric vehicles in use in the U.S. by 2015.

The anti-electric sentiment unmasked by the poll shows that pure electrics — defined in the poll question as "an electric car that you could only drive for a limited number of miles at one time" — could have trouble getting a foothold in the U.S.

Such cars "are very much niche vehicles. They find acceptance among a core group of passionistas, but too many questions remain .. "

Of course, the Volt isn't an all electric car- one good reason it's kicking the Nissan Leaf's azz. Dingbat. USA, USA, USA!

You win the award for most irrelevant BS and cluelessnes. Pub dupes!! LOL

You have just now figured out that 6 out of 10 Americans are dumbasses?
Does the name OBAMA ring a bell?
60% of Americans watch reality TV, go to pro wrasslin, do not believe in evolution, believe the rapture is next week, swear Obama is Muslim and Romney hates women and never watched any moon landings because we all know that was fake anyway.
You really need to get out more.

You'll probably have a hybrid truck within 10 years, with double the mileage. Thanks in advance for you patriotism. You'll also LOVE ACA by that time.

No, India has a diesel truck that will get over 50 mpg.
But there is a new vehicle for you. There is a long tube that will power the engine with hot air. Blow in it as hard as you can.

Your statements have been proven false several times yet you continue to post the same lies over and over. Let me guess. You are TDM's puppy in real life.

Your statements have been proven false several times yet you continue to post the same lies over and over. Let me guess. You are TDM's puppy in real life.

such as, deluded dingbat/troll?

Then go buy one. Oh, since you are such a big cheerleader, you get to pay full price. No subsidy.
If you are that close to having a "moment" over the Volt, you should be ecstatic to pay full price....
Otherwise, shut the fuck up about it.

Go to Car and Driver or Motor Trend and read something, MORON.That is the stupidest argument I've ever heard LOL Do I have to buy every vehicle I know about to discuss them. Jeebus Pub dupes are dumb.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back