A Tale Of Navy Aircraft...and Departed Family Member

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
Earlier today? A co-worker and I began chatting about Older aircraft, and thier impact on world events...which conjured up alot of memories for me as the son of a Naval Aviator.

I began to tell him of the picture albums we posess in my family of my Father whom departed this Earth in 1967, and the aircraft he flew aboard in mission over Viet Nam, in the 1960's which he went twice.

The U.S. Navy A3 "SkyWarrior", which were heavily used in Viet Nam, launched for a few U.S. Carriers.

I remember as a very young lad looking at the Cruisebooks my dad brought home, plus the pictures he compiled during his endeavours and neatly placed in leather bound notebooks, and neatly captioned.

821017al.jpg

A3 "SKYWARRIOR"​

Also the aircraft was used in Research in weather seeding Hurricaines to reduce thier intensity in conjunction with the US Weather Service (Later to be known as NOAA)...​

In any event? After returning home from work? I began to think about what we discussed, which prompted me to dig a little deeper...​

It didn't take long...I came across a site from a crewmember that was in my dad's squadron, and random photos he took while aboard the old USS Roosevelt (CVA 42)...and the nice picture show.​

I came across one that caught my eye...It was a plane I was familiar with from my youth...Plane #603 in VAH-11 "Checkertails" aboard the USS Roosevelt.​

Upon looking at the photo? I noticed a familiar 'face' talking to the pilot, as the crew was preparing for launch off the deck...​

*My Dad*​

Saying something to the pilot whom he was sitting behind...​

Here is the photo...​

A3SkywarriorVAH11603a.jpg

I goes to show what neat things you come across on the Internet these days. This photo I have never seen until earlier today.​

I'm going to contact the photographer and thank him for what he did in perserving a bit of history...mine, and my family that has been in the military since the days my forefather (General Philip Schuyler ), served under Washington.​

Just AWESOME. (My dad is the only 'full headshot' just behind the pilot).​

This is just way cool. Made my day.​

Enjoy.​

~T​

Earlier today? A co-worker and I began chatting about Older aircraft, and thier impact on world events...which conjured up alot of memories for me as the son of a Naval Aviator.

I began to tell him of the picture albums we posess in my family of my Father whom departed this Earth in 1967, and the aircraft he flew aboard in mission over Viet Nam, in the 1960's which he went twice.

The U.S. Navy A3 "SkyWarrior", which were heavily used in Viet Nam, launched for a few U.S. Carriers.

I remember as a very young lad looking at the Cruisebooks my dad brought home, plus the pictures he compiled during his endeavours and neatly placed in leather bound notebooks, and neatly captioned.

821017al.jpg

A3 "SKYWARRIOR"​

Also the aircraft was used in Research in weather seeding Hurricaines to reduce thier intensity in conjunction with the US Weather Service (Later to be known as NOAA)...​

In any event? After returning home from work? I began to think about what we discussed, which prompted me to dig a little deeper...​

It didn't take long...I came across a site from a crewmember that was in my dad's squadron, and random photos he took while aboard the old USS Roosevelt (CVA 42)...and the nice picture show.​

I came across one that caught my eye...It was a plane I was familiar with from my youth...Plane #603 in VAH-11 "Checkertails" aboard the USS Roosevelt.​

Upon looking at the photo? I noticed a familiar 'face' talking to the pilot, as the crew was preparing for launch off the deck...​

*My Dad*​

Here is the photo...​

I goes to show what neat things you come across on the Internet these days. This photo I have never seen until earlier today.​

I'm going to contact the photographer and thank him for what he did in perserving a bit of history...mine, and my family that has been in the military since the days my forefather (General Philip Schuyler ), served under Washington.​

Enjoy.​

~T​

That is cool

Here's an image of one the crafts that my old man :flew" during WWII.

k03965.jpg

Noting that this image is of two ships are burning in Algeria, I SUSPECT that my father actually billeted was on one of those vessels the day this image was taken.

Happily for him he was on a four hour shore leave when the bombing took place.

This would therefore be the second ship that was shot out from under him during his 5 year at war with the Axis powers.

His duty wasn't nearly so sexy as flying a jet over Viet Nam, but statistically speaking his duty (and the duty of his fellow Atlantic fleet merchant marines during WWII) was about 50 times more dangerous than anything anybody undertook in the Viet Nam.

Last edited:
That's cool, T

I can relate to your story. My Dad was a Navy pilot too.

He was killed in '68. I don't have many pictures or even any real info about my Dad so I know how valuable a photo like that can be.

Nice tribute The T.

I love airplanes but am not crazy about riding in them.

My wife will go to the banks of the Potomac today and photograph the space shuttle as it flys toward DC before turning to Dulles. I of course am stuck at work.

821017al.jpg

A3 "SKYWARRIOR"​

*My Dad*​

Here is the photo...​

Enjoy.​

~T​

Very cool T, What a great find! I had a similar experience looking at some photos of my Dad's squadron in England. My brother and I were looking at some shots and we saw a guy that looked just like his 20 year old son....... I said that had to be Dad and we called him up and emailed him the shots..... it was him...... he's the one in the middle with his hat cocked to the side..... he was 20. The portrait shot of him was taken when he first got into the P-51 at 19 years old.

This shot shows how large the P-51 is........ my Dad is the one with the Cocker Spaniel in front of him, he brought her home with him back to Louisiana.

These were all on a site called "Little Friends", it's a British site connected to his old base in Martlesham Heath, England. He was with the 356th Fighter Group, 359th Squadron.

Here is the site in case any of you guys had a Father or Grandfather over there.

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/

Last edited:
This was T-LOU 2, his Mustang........ I've posted it before but I know most guys don't get tired of looking at old planes........ I scanned it and retouched it, it held up surprisingly well for a 70 year old photograph.

Damn - the A-3. The "flying coffin" or "The Whale"

VERY VERY freaking cool!

Only way out was thru the hatch on the bottom (no ejection).

We have ONE of those aboard USS Nimitz back in 85. Squadron was VQ-2 I believe. Not a clue what the hell they did - they had only one plane aboard.

I thought it was very cool - very quiet compared to the EA6B's, A6's and F-14's......

God, I love the smell of JP5 in the morning.....

(From VQ-2 site - Until 1991, VQ-2 flew both the EA-3 and the EP-3 "Aries" long-range electronic reconnaissance airframes. The last "Whale" retired from active service in September 1991. Additionally, the squadron completely upgraded its EP-3 inventory from 1991 to 1995 with the more modern and capable EP-3E "Aries-II" aircraft.)

More on this plane - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...37BF7E304E0B1732661EDDBE2&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Last edited:
Here's an image of one the crafts that my old man :flew" during WWII.

k03965.jpg

Noting that this image is of two ships are burning in Algeria, I SUSPECT that my father actually billeted was on one of those vessels the day this image was taken.

Happily for him he was on a four hour shore leave when the bombing took place.

This would therefore be the second ship that was shot out from under him during his 5 year at war with the Axis powers.

His duty wasn't nearly so sexy as flying a jet over Viet Nam, but statistically speaking his duty (and the duty of his fellow Atlantic fleet merchant marines during WWII) was about 50 times more dangerous than anything anybody undertook in the Viet Nam.

Your Dad served with the French? That's who the British bombed in Algeria in 1940....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir

Last edited:
T- what happened to your Dad my friend...

'Nam Second tour.

Lost a cousin over there - December 65.
He was one of the first troops in there.
Field OPS in the P.I. to familiarize them with the jungle terrain.
Killed in an assault after completing a successful mission.
Fortunately, the "assaultees" were all killed by our guys after they took out my cousin and his shipmates. A sad story.

Sorry about you Dad. Wow. Horrible

Forum List

Back