A suggestion

Well you may be right...but it is worth a try...the mods should retain the ability to delete the whole thread if it really got ridiculous.

I don't think you need to worry about that one.

The mods here do anything they want to anybody they want whenever they want and for whatever reason they want.

Whoever starts a thread should be allowed to control it....as in choose who is not allowed on the thread....when he sees folks trying to disrupt the thread he should have the ability to kick them off the thread etc.etc.
Naw. That would be abused constantly. This board lacks the maturity for that kind of control.
Being able to lock your own old irrelevant threads would be nice however.

Well you may be right...but it is worth a try...the mods should retain the ability to delete the whole thread if it really got ridiculous.

Folks go to some trouble to create a thread and what happens too often in my opinion --it gets moved or deleted for dubious reasons.

Or in a lot of cases a thread gets hijacked by those who do not like the subject of the thread by constant disruptions.

All message boards are dependent on threads that create a lot of interest and responses...some seem not to understand that.

The abuse of posters can be gotten away with for awhile but when folks get very tired of it...a board will not last long

Also....I remember a board in the past...forget which one it was but you could appeal stuff you thought unfair...to a impartial board.

All one can do here is appeal to the one who caused you the problem...anyone had any luck with that? I did once. hehheh
The mods here close or remove some threads because there are too many on the same topic--I ran across one today that had 5 other threads on the same topic, so it was closed down.

I try to link a few words of mine now, before starting a thread to make sure nobody else has done the same topic. It usually works, but not always. Once I found a topic that was 2 years old, but it got closed because it was long past. lol I had looked for at least 15 minutes for the topic, too. By the time it was closed, I was just too tired to care. So if a thread is dead after 3 weeks or 4, you can start a thread, provided it has a different twist unless it is so talked about the mods decide to freeze the topic to the top 3 spaces so we won't err or have to look very far to see that we haven't replicated. After a good night's sleep, I looked back at the thread, and people who posted did not see the new post, but were answering the original question with such comments as "that's done, why are you bringing the subject back up? lol

The mods are always right. They're experienced, they try to be fair, but sometimes enough is enough, and they'll tell you when that is.

Don't take it personal, that's all I can tell you. We have mods on both aisles, and they're human. Let's give that to them when they don't see things our particular thought process. Also, if you break the rules listed, you might reread the rules from time to time to make sure you know that there are some things that shouldn't be posted on a forum where school children may have access to from school or from home. Be sure your bad stuff is in the badlands and does not violate the parameters of USMB. And if you really screw up, please apologize to the person who had to clean up your error. They work hard keeping the USMB board as pleasant as possible, considering some of the sad and devastating things that come forth on the news and means something to one of us in spite of its harshness. It's best if your topic will improve because you posted it for open discussion on America's best board, bar none.

They used to have subforums like you are suggesting but we gotz into trouble cause we were playing doctor in them...

Whoever starts a thread should be allowed to control it....as in choose who is not allowed on the thread....when he sees folks trying to disrupt the thread he should have the ability to kick them off the thread etc.etc.

I think you have a valid idea.

wouldnt that make you a fascist???

there is a report button and if you are the OP and have good cause the mods should back you up,,,

but to pick and choose who is allowed to speak,,,yeah thats fascist,,,

Agreed. We have the ignore feature if we don't wish to read someone's posts. We shouldn't have the right to prevent others from seeing them by preventing free speech.

Naw. That would be abused constantly. This board lacks the maturity for that kind of control.
Being able to lock your own old irrelevant threads would be nice however.

Folks go to some trouble to create a thread and what happens too often in my opinion --it gets moved or deleted for dubious reasons.

Or in a lot of cases a thread gets hijacked by those who do not like the subject of the thread by constant disruptions.

All message boards are dependent on threads that create a lot of interest and responses...some seem not to understand that.

The abuse of posters can be gotten away with for awhile but when folks get very tired of it...a board will not last long

Also....I remember a board in the past...forget which one it was but you could appeal stuff you thought unfair...to a impartial board.

All one can do here is appeal to the one who caused you the problem...anyone had any luck with that? I did once. hehheh
The mods here close or remove some threads because there are too many on the same topic--I ran across one today that had 5 other threads on the same topic, so it was closed down.

I try to link a few words of mine now, before starting a thread to make sure nobody else has done the same topic. It usually works, but not always. Once I found a topic that was 2 years old, but it got closed because it was long past. lol I had looked for at least 15 minutes for the topic, too. By the time it was closed, I was just too tired to care. So if a thread is dead after 3 weeks or 4, you can start a thread, provided it has a different twist unless it is so talked about the mods decide to freeze the topic to the top 3 spaces so we won't err or have to look very far to see that we haven't replicated. After a good night's sleep, I looked back at the thread, and people who posted did not see the new post, but were answering the original question with such comments as "that's done, why are you bringing the subject back up? lol

The mods are always right. They're experienced, they try to be fair, but sometimes enough is enough, and they'll tell you when that is.

Don't take it personal, that's all I can tell you. We have mods on both aisles, and they're human. Let's give that to them when they don't see things our particular thought process. Also, if you break the rules listed, you might reread the rules from time to time to make sure you know that there are some things that shouldn't be posted on a forum where school children may have access to from school or from home. Be sure your bad stuff is in the badlands and does not violate the parameters of USMB. And if you really screw up, please apologize to the person who had to clean up your error. They work hard keeping the USMB board as pleasant as possible, considering some of the sad and devastating things that come forth on the news and means something to one of us in spite of its harshness. It's best if your topic will improve because you posted it for open discussion on America's best board, bar none.

"The mods are always right" hmmmmmm

Anyhow I would think you are mostly right...however--I do think it would be a good idea to have more transparency and self criticism....plus an ability to appeal a moderators decision.

I have not had much trouble lately....and really I am not here to complain....just trying to make a suggestion to help improve things.

Perhaps I am wrong but it seems to me the quality of the posts is going downhill...maybe I am just tired of politics.

I just hate anything that smacks of dictatorial rule...be it a nation or the local PTA.

Im2 coward arse stopped me from posting in his thread when I hit him with facts..

wouldnt that make you a fascist???

there is a report button and if you are the OP and have good cause the mods should back you up,,,

but to pick and choose who is allowed to speak,,,yeah thats fascist,,,

Agreed. We have the ignore feature if we don't wish to read someone's posts. We shouldn't have the right to prevent others from seeing them by preventing free speech.

The easiest and best solution would be when you put someone on ignore....you should not be able to read what they post nor should they be able to read what you post...seems like a common sense thing to do.

Forum List

Back