A suggestion for the REPLY button...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
...make it take you to the bottom of the text pallet.

I find little more annoying with the current system that leaves one at the top of the text pallet, duped into thinking that the last [ / Q U O T E ] one sees is one's cue point to reply. Then one types one's quip, hits POST REPLY and can't find one's snappy one-liner at the bottom of the page because it's hidden somewhere above in the umpteen quoted quotes of other ones preceding this one's and the subsequent, gentle reader trying to decipher the string of letters, should one leave one's post without editing, will be perplexed indefinitely by the misplacement of one's intentional, profoundly relevant and reasoned agreement or rebuttal of the post to which one meant to reply.

I will pay 20.00 to hear the above spoken in Mandarin Chinese.
'nowhatumsayin'...?

Last edited:
...make it take you to the bottom of the text pallet. [...]
The cursor is always at the bottom of the text pallet for me after I hit 'Reply'. Firefox, XP Pro.

I've learned to remove all but one or two previous quotes.

Reply should only reply to the very last post. Not the enitre chain of replies. As more and more 'nested replies' come about, there's more and more text having to be loaded making the page take longer and longer to display. And since replies prior to the last are redundant to a person replying to the very last one, they don't need to be displayed.

And on at least my rig, once many replies are being displayed the whole box gets scrunched laterally until they're not displaying at all and often times I can't see even the very last reply.

Replying manually with cut n paste typing 'Person-being-replied-to said, PASTE' works fine, but then doesn't alert the person you've replied to them.

Only the last Reply being quoted was in fact how it used to work, then it changed quoting all of them. Whoever effected that change should be fired but only after getting stripped, tarred and feathered, then whipped throughout the office. :)

...make it take you to the bottom of the text pallet. [...]
The cursor is always at the bottom of the text pallet for me after I hit 'Reply'. Firefox, XP Pro.

I've learned to remove all but one or two previous quotes.
Exactly, but with multiple quotes, you may not see it flashing...so you think it's not on.

I'll get over it!

Reply should only reply to the very last post. Not the enitre chain of replies. As more and more 'nested replies' come about, there's more and more text having to be loaded making the page take longer and longer to display. And since replies prior to the last are redundant to a person replying to the very last one, they don't need to be displayed.

And on at least my rig, once many replies are being displayed the whole box gets scrunched laterally until they're not displaying at all and often times I can't see even the very last reply.

Replying manually with cut n paste typing 'Person-being-replied-to said, PASTE' works fine, but then doesn't alert the person you've replied to them.

Only the last Reply being quoted was in fact how it used to work, then it changed quoting all of them. Whoever effected that change should be fired but only after getting stripped, tarred and feathered, then whipped throughout the office. :)

Cereal_Killer already addressed this, the choice was to have a minimal number of nested quotes or have none. Most members felt that some nested quotes were better than none. After all it's not that hard to delete quotes that you don't want nested in your post.

I dislike it as well.
I reply to a post, and what is visible is not the post I replied to.
So I delete all of the extraneous posts every time I quote.
Worse than that though is that if you have a post stuck in the nested quotes - you get all of these alerts that someone has replied to your post. But of course they didn't. So I find myself clicking on 10 posts to find the one or two actual replies.
That is annoying.

...make it take you to the bottom of the text pallet.

I find little more annoying with the current system that leaves one at the top of the text pallet, duped into thinking that the last [ / Q U O T E ] one sees is one's cue point to reply. Then one types one's quip, hits POST REPLY and can't find one's snappy one-liner at the bottom of the page because it's hidden somewhere above in the umpteen quoted quotes of other ones preceding this one's and the subsequent, gentle reader trying to decipher the string of letters, should one leave one's post without editing, will be perplexed indefinitely by the misplacement of one's intentional, profoundly relevant and reasoned agreement or rebuttal of the post to which one meant to reply.

I will pay 20.00 to hear the above spoken in Mandarin Chinese.
'nowhatumsayin'...?
i think vbulletin boards are easier for forum postings like these.

Forum List

Back