A Student's Suicide Prompts Demands for Higher Education Reform in Afghanistan

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The recent suicide of a female student at a university in Kabul has triggered outcry and led to calls to end corruption and discrimination in Afghanistan's rotten higher education system.

Afghan students stormed social media and mobilised for a march at Kabul University in the days after a female student committed suicide, reportedly because her final thesis had been failed multiple times on November 19.

The suicide and subsequent protest were widely covered by local media.

Friends of Zahra Khawari, a senior student of Veterinary Science department of Kabul University have told journalists that she committed suicide aged 25 after her thesis was rejected for third time by her supervisor, Gul Mohammad Tanin. Police have confirmed the suicide and launched an investigation that has already seen her supervisor arrested on unspecified charges.

Ms. Khawari was living in a dormitory at Kabul University. She came from Daikundi province, a deprived province in the mountainous central part of the country. She allegedly poisoned herself at breakfast and died some time later in her room.

The scandal appeared to force the resignation of Afghanistan's acting minister of Higher Education. Abdul Latif Roshan stepped down November 22 and was replaced Najibullah Khwaja Omari.
A Student’s Suicide Prompts Demands for Higher Education Reform in Afghanistan · Global Voices

I tried to look for other sources but google translation sucks on this one. You can get the gist of it.

Students are under a great deal of pressure and some of it necessary I knew a student who had his department in SUNY New Paltz threaten to reject his thesis because he dared to use BC for dates instead of BCE

I think colleges should proactively focus on programs to help students cope and thrive, not just survive

Forum List

Back