A Strange Feeling

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Yesterday, as I saw GW depart from Washington, I was thinking how detached a former President must feel once they are no longer President. Anyone who has been President, and all of a sudden finds himself completely out of the loop, must feel very empty inside.

Maybe this is why Jimmy Carter can't leave well enough alone.

Or Bill Clinton.

If it were me I would be dancing a jig on the way to the helicopter, whoopee, out of the spotlight (more or less) able to sleep in once in a while, fewer midnight calls, get to live in a real house that doesn't have dozens of people stomping through the hallways and standing outside your apartment doors at all times. Able to be yourself, sort of.

But then, presidents are a different breed.

I was thinking the exact same thing, btw. I was thinking a story about a president who is no longer a president would make a really good book.

Sadly, it would require researching and interviewing past presidents and I'm not up for that.

Thursday, October 19, 2006
Bush buys land in Paraguay?

Various sources are reporting that the Bush family has bought 98,840 acres in Paraguay near the Bolivian/Brazilian boarder. Jenna Bush apparently visited Paraguayan President Nicanor Duarte and U.S. Ambassador James Cason under the guise of the UNICEF program to make the purchase.

Another rumor is a land deal involving the U.S. military. Shortly after the Paraguayan Senate granted "U.S. troops immunity from national and International Criminal Court (ICC) jurisdiction,” 500 U.S. troops arrived at Mariscal Estigarribia air base, Paraguay, also near the Bolivian/Brazilian border.

So what does the president and his family need such large patch of land -- possibly protected by a U.S. military base exempt from war crimes --

Political Reps - A Look at American Politics: Bush buys land in Paraguay?

Yesterday, as I saw GW depart from Washington, I was thinking how detached a former President must feel once they are no longer President. Anyone who has been President, and all of a sudden finds himself completely out of the loop, must feel very empty inside.

Maybe this is why Jimmy Carter can't leave well enough alone.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe that's part of the reason why there's a 2+month timeframe between the election and the inauguration -- time for mental acclimation for both Bush and Obama.

I know the secret service stays w/all ex-presidents but do you know if they also stay with their family (kids)? Are Caroline Kennedy and Amy Carter still protected by the SS?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back