A Story With Legs: The Weekly Standard Analyzes Jack Ryan's Scandal

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/265ziwlz.asp

pretty good lighthearted analysis of the now seemingly doomed illinois GOP senate candidate... at least the Dem guy is an agreeable fellow and was substantially ahead in the polls anyway.

shame about ryan though, he seems to be a pretty good guy, he even taught at an all-boys, all african-american school on chicago's south side, in addition to knowing how to make money and invest it wisely.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/265ziwlz.asp

pretty good lighthearted analysis of the now seemingly doomed illinois GOP senate candidate... at least the Dem guy is an agreeable fellow and was substantially ahead in the polls anyway.

shame about ryan though, he seems to be a pretty good guy, he even taught at an all-boys, all african-american school on chicago's south side, in addition to knowing how to make money and invest it wisely.

Hailing from IL and being involved with the GOP I am not happy. From the outset let me say that Ryan was probably going to lose without this, the state GOP has been a shambles for nearly 8 years now.

Be that what it may let me ask a question here. Last night my friend and I, both pretty conservative, were discussing this. I'm a bit more of a libertine than my friend, thus was surprised when she asked, "They were married, he asked, she said, 'No', what's the big deal?" What do you think?

i don't see a big deal with it really, i think a good number of americans are just very uncomfortable with anything "sex" related, their common sense goes out the window.

in fact, i believe miss ryan was the one who was unfaithful in the marriage (leading to the divorce) though i may be wrong, i did hear that on the BBC. however, with a dumbo comment like "you crying is not a turn-on", i can't be surprised she lost respect for her husband and maybe cheated on him

again though, he didn't beat her, he didn't rape her, he didn't even cheat on her, he was just a "freak" and she wasn't and now he is being pummeled for it by a hypocritical media that has no problem discussing famous people's sex lives and scandals and promoting acts like britney spears and christina aguilera who have young girls dressing like strippers and women of the evening.....
but i disgress...

he was a poor husband perhaps but i don't see how that really reflects in politics... most of these chaps are unfaithful anyway.

i don't see a big deal with it really, i think a good number of americans are just very uncomfortable with anything "sex" related, their common sense goes out the window.

in fact, i believe miss ryan was the one who was unfaithful in the marriage (leading to the divorce) though i may be wrong, i did hear that on the BBC. however, with a dumbo comment like "you crying is not a turn-on", i can't be surprised she lost respect for her husband and maybe cheated on him

again though, he didn't beat her, he didn't rape her, he didn't even cheat on her, he was just a "freak" and she wasn't and now he is being pummeled for it by a hypocritical media that has no problem discussing famous people's sex lives and scandals and promoting acts like britney spears and christina aguilera who have young girls dressing like strippers and women of the evening.....
but i disgress...

he was a poor husband perhaps but i don't see how that really reflects in politics... most of these chaps are unfaithful anyway.

We agree. I've heard about her marital infidelities as well, but she said only after she knew the marriage was over, then again, she didn't wait for the divorce. :rolleyes:

As I said, a mute point, he wasn't going to win anyways. Obama is very bright and articulate. Unlike many, he has refused to comment or 'make hay' out of this, then again, he doesn't need to. ;)

i hope obama becomes a good senator, the kind of democrat who will lead his party back to true revelance one day (but i doubt it with some of that bunch)

i heard him speak and was just taken aback at how eloquent he is, and it amazed me that rather than dodge an issue, flip-flop or wax poetic (and BS) about the issue, he actually grabbed a position and answered the question or addressed the issue very confidently.. never seen anybody in politics really do that, at least well

why is illinois GOP in such straits? that governor fellow that got in trouble cause some of it?

i hope obama becomes a good senator, the kind of democrat who will lead his party back to true revelance one day (but i doubt it with some of that bunch)

i heard him speak and was just taken aback at how eloquent he is, and it amazed me that rather than dodge an issue, flip-flop or wax poetic (and BS) about the issue, he actually grabbed a position and answered the question or addressed the issue very confidently.. never seen anybody in politics really do that, at least well

why is illinois GOP in such straits? that governor fellow that got in trouble cause some of it?

Obama is very, very smart, as much as I hate to say that.

On GOP problem was George Ryan, he corrupted many that had been good public servants for many years. We still await his indictment. Piss poor time to be GOP in IL, but alas, it's where I live.

oh an update from YAHOO! news

they say sources indicate ryan will drop his bid

damn

that was quick, a shame, like i said he seemed like a really good guy aside from the comment he made to his wife that made him seem like a sleazeball for a minute...

maybe he could rebuild in a few months/years and run for something in 2006?

that's a shame about that gov. ryan and what he did to your civil servants

isn't connecticut about to go through the same problem because of ex-gov. romney?

damn

that was quick, a shame, like i said he seemed like a really good guy aside from the comment he made to his wife that made him seem like a sleazeball for a minute...

isn't connecticut about to go through the same problem because of ex-gov. romney?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040625/ap_on_el_se/senate_scandal

Here's the link, I was just going to post.

oh i lied.. that indian (subcontinent, not native american) american GOP candidate for governor in Lousiana was like Obama is.... he would take questions from reporters, regular people, policy wonks, didn't matter... he'd give a straight answer that made sense or he could go into very deep detail and still make sense... he knew the issues instinctively inside and out and had his ideas ready to go, shame he didn't win, that female democrat did, not sure what kind of person she is and how she's doing as the governor

damn

That's Rowland, not Romney.

oh my apolgies...

Not a problem. :p:

We were not lucky enough to have the crook remove himself from office. I guess he has been indicted, from what I saw on one of the services. Bad news, he was bad news as Sec. of State and an even worse governor.

For some reason this reminds me alot of Torricelli in New Jersey during 2002. The main difference it seems is the Republicans are going to try to illegally place a new candidate on the ballot.

Jack Ryan has now pulled out of this race. I'd say this seat which is now Republican (retiring Sen. Peter Fitzgerald) is going Democratic.

This story is sad though, especially for his kids. This is example of the media's need to sensationalize everything, and they do it to Republicans and Democrats alike.

Also don't confuse Jack Ryan with George Ryan the former Governor and Secretary of State.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Jack Ryan has now pulled out of this race. I'd say this seat which is now Republican (retiring Sen. Peter Fitzgerald) is going Democratic.

This story is sad though, especially for his kids. This is example of the media's need to sensationalize everything, and they do it to Republicans and Democrats alike.

Also don't confuse Jack Ryan with George Ryan the former Governor and Secretary of State.

acludem

No one was confusing the two. George Ryan came up on the issue of why Illinios GOP is such a mess. The two Ryans' are not related.

New Topics

Forum List

Back