a story the media has ignored.....

From what I've read, the guilty parties are being brought to justice.

Hope that is the case! 4 whites, 1 Asian and 7 blacks! I hope it doesn't become sticking with their own mentality!

I don't think too many people would consider the perpetrators of these crimes their own.

The bottom line of all this is that the media sensationalizes stories that sell. It's a business. Sensationalizing a story about rich white kids raping a poor black girl is good for business. Sensationalizing a story about poor black people carjacking and murdering a middle-class white couple isn't nearly as good for business. So if you want to point a finger at anyone, point it at society. To suggest that the media is collectively "reverse" racist is to trumpet your own ignorance and give them way too much credit (collectively).

I don't think there is any such thing as reverse racism, so no.

If you're asking me if I think there are racist media outlets, then yes I think there are.

However, if you're asking me if I think the collective media is conspiratorially racist against whites then I say absolutely not.

Let me put it to you another way bones, do you approve of the media coverage and handling of the Duke rape case?

From what I've read, the guilty parties are being brought to justice.

Hope that is the case! 4 whites, 1 Asian and 7 blacks! I hope it doesn't become sticking with their own mentality!

I don't think too many people would consider the perpetrators of these crimes their own.

The bottom line of all this is that the media sensationalizes stories that sell. It's a business. Sensationalizing a story about rich white kids raping a poor black girl is good for business. Sensationalizing a story about poor black people carjacking and murdering a middle-class white couple isn't nearly as good for business. So if you want to point a finger at anyone, point it at society. To suggest that the media is collectively "reverse" racist is to trumpet your own ignorance and give them way too much credit (collectively).

Lets all stop for a minute and think of that poor girl who disappeared in Aruba.............

Thing is stories like this happen all the time both ways and every which way. It takes people to bring attention to the issue. Then maybe after that the story will get some attention its not really one sided when it comes to issues like this one.

Link two others since this is such a frequent occurrence.

Any issue that people feel is being ignored that shouldnt be.

So (in the context of the OP) what issue is being ignored that shouldn't be?

and bones: feel free to chime in on this one if you have an answer. :eusa_whistle:

What's being ignored by the media is the fact that this was a black on white hate crime. The only reason these young people were tortured and abused was because of their white skin. In my opinon though, the other reason this story has been somewhat ignored is just because of the horror factor. Just what details have been made known about what happened to those kids literally sickens me. It's one of those things that people don't even want to think about, much less see splashed across the headlines.

This is one of the few cases where the death penalty just isn't enough for justice to be served. The way those kids were both tortured cries out for retribution in a way that few other crimes do.

Definitely a crime that demands a return to older systems of carrying out the death penalty like drawing and quartering.

A message needs to be sent to the population of the country that if you take people off the street and torture them for days on end and kill them, that you will suffer a fate nearly as bad as theirs. Society will not tolerate it in any measure.

Still, the sequestered jury is racially diverse, with four whites, seven blacks and one Asian

place yer bets.

What's being ignored by the media is the fact that this was a black on white hate crime. The only reason these young people were tortured and abused was because of their white skin.

How do you know this? And why should it matter? The guilty parties are being brought to justice and may face the death penalty. Do you think perhaps they should have their eyes gouged out too, or something similarly torturous?

In my opinon though, the other reason this story has been somewhat ignored is just because of the horror factor. Just what details have been made known about what happened to those kids literally sickens me. It's one of those things that people don't even want to think about, much less see splashed across the headlines.

Many of the alleged horrific details have been debunked.

So why should we know so much about a rape by a Lacrosse team that didn't happen?

Actually, only some of the horrific details have been "debunked" there are plenty more horrific details that are true. It is true that Kristen was raped for days by 5 or 6 people. It is true that she was sodomized by objects when they tired of raping her. It is true that they poured bleach down her throat to destroy DNA evidence. It is true that Christopher was raped. It is true that he was mutilated. And, that's just a partial list of the abuse meted out to these kids.

I think it isn't so much that this crime needs to be "sensationalized" but it is "news" it deserves to be treated as such. It may or may not be indicative of a societal issue in Knoxville. Who knows? Surely not us. Why? Because it wasn't reported. Because interest in the case was never given a chance to grow. So, news agencies had no incentive to do deeper investigations into Knoxville and whether this was an isolated incident done by crazed miscreants or whether they are just representative of a larger problem in the Knoxville area.

sorry manie i was canning pear jam..

yes that is my point..the reverse manner in which we treat racial crimes and the label hate crime and how it is applied....why is this just a car jacking go awry? why is this not a hate crime?
is justice being served...will they be able to convict and use the death penalty...and would that be justice?

but you cannot deny that while the whole country was engaged in the duke rapist scandal ..they ignored this story and yes had the races been reversed it would have attracted national attention..sharpton and jackson would have made sure of that.

It seems a lot of people, mostly white males, have a wrong sense of what constitutes a hate-crime.

A hate-crime, contrary to what many of them believe, is not a crime where one ethnicity assaults or attacks a member of another ethnicity. A hate crime occurs when the MOTIVE for such assaults and/or attacks were based solely on race.

There's a big difference.

In the OP's story, its a case of a run-of-the-mill criminal preying on whomever he could find, in this case a white person. No hate-crime.

Capice?

yes that is my point..the reverse manner in which we treat racial crimes and the label hate crime and how it is applied....why is this just a car jacking go awry? why is this not a hate crime?
is justice being served...will they be able to convict and use the death penalty...and would that be justice?

but you cannot deny that while the whole country was engaged in the duke rapist scandal ..they ignored this story and yes had the races been reversed it would have attracted national attention..sharpton and jackson would have made sure of that.

It seems a lot of people, mostly white males, have a wrong sense of what constitutes a hate-crime.

A hate-crime, contrary to what many of them believe, is not a crime where one ethnicity assaults or attacks a member of another ethnicity. A hate crime occurs when the MOTIVE for such assaults and/or attacks were based solely on race.

In the OP's story, its a case of a run-of-the-mill criminal preying on whomever he could find, in this case a white person. No hate-crime.

Capice?

And you know what was on their minds how exactly?

^ thats for the courts to determine.

Its the American Justice system...what you have a problem with the Constitution?

Stories like this, as tragic as they are, are so common they just don't make the news.

Now, if they killed the girl straight away and never raped her and only raped him, then it would be major news and it would be plastered on every front page and be the leading story on every network.

That is the sad reality. Newspapers are always looking for a "twist" - "something different".

This is just another example of the problem I have with hate crimes that Jillian and I constantly go back and forth on. Prosecutors DO NOT have the balls to charge blacks with hate crimes. This is just a current example.

To say this was a car jacking gone wrong is to completely ignore the fact that the couple was kidnapped. That they were held for hours while both were incessantly raped and Christopher eventually killed. Then Kristen was held for an additional day and half and raped and sodomized until they finally killed her. In what way is that a "car-jacking gone wrong?" A car-jacking gone wrong would have been, the kids resisted and they were shot to death. That would have been bad, but understandable outcome of a robbery attempt. This was horrible and in no way understandable.

^ thats for the courts to determine.

Its the American Justice system...what you have a problem with the Constitution?

YOU are the idiot who made a declarative statement about what the crime WAS.. and you have a problem with the constitution??

Stories like this, as tragic as they are, are so common they just don't make the news.

Now, if they killed the girl straight away and never raped her and only raped him, then it would be major news and it would be plastered on every front page and be the leading story on every network.

That is the sad reality. Newspapers are always looking for a "twist" - "something different".

If it is so common, please link two such stories. It should take you no time at all.

The, "it's too common to report," red-herring is just that.

Capice?

Nobody is misconstruing what a hate crime is except you putting words in peoples mouths.

Forum List

Back