A steel mill goes green

Except the mill will not be run by green energy. It will be grid tied and use what money they do make during the day selling peak demand solar to cover the utility bills 24/7. That only works as longs as there are non-green providers putting electrons onto the grid.

Many have stated that renewables cannot run heavy industry. Well, now we have a steel mill that will run mainly on renewables.

Opinion | The Steel Mill That Helped Build the American West Goes Green

Actually, not true. The NYT article (which is behind a paywall) implies the plant may become operational soon. But, a more detailed article, linked below, makes it clear this is a partnership with a local renewable energy company to investigate ways to use renewable energies to replace the aging coal facilities that currently power the plant that are scheduled to close by 2025.

Xcel Announces Deal to Power Steel Mill with Solar

The plant is not currently operating on renewables nor is there a detailed plan on how to do so.

If you have so much faith in this technology, why can't you allow it to stand on its own merits and not create fables about things that don't exist?

Many have stated that renewables cannot run heavy industry. Well, now we have a steel mill that will run mainly on renewables.

Actually, not true. The NYT article (which is behind a paywall) implies the plant may become operational soon. But, a more detailed article, linked below, makes it clear this is a partnership with a local renewable energy company to investigate ways to use renewable energies to replace the aging coal facilities that currently power the plant that are scheduled to close by 2025.

The plant is not currently operating on renewables nor is there a detailed plan on how to do so.

If you have so much faith in this technology, why can't you allow it to stand on its own merits and not create fables about things that don't exist?

Actually the OP says "will run" on my screen. Erleichda.

So you did not read the article. Here is what it says;

A huge solar farm, one of the largest in the country, is to be built here on the grounds of the Evraz Rocky Mountain Steel mill. In addition to producing power for the giant mill, the farm, Bighorn Solar, will supply homes and businesses across Colorado. So far as I can tell, Evraz Rocky Mountain will be the first steel mill in the world that can claim to be powered largely by solar energy.

The announcement at the plant a couple of weeks ago, by Gov. Jared Polis and other dignitaries, was a striking turn of events in the history of American industry.

Of course, you could have looked elsewhere, and found that the deal is in the starting stage, and will be online sometime in 2021.

EVRAZ Pueblo will use renewable energy to produce the greenest steel - EVRAZ

I'm not subscribing to the NY (CIA) Times to read about it though.
Thanks anyway.

You're not even clicking the link. It's on my screen in full and I don't have a subscription.

Poster be like YOW! Deadly words! :lalala:
You can't read NYTimes or WaPo unless you subscribe.

There is a caveat: The mill operates 24 hours a day and solar panels do not, of course. Over the course of a year the solar farm is expected to produce electricity roughly equal to 95 percent of the mill’s annual demand. On sunny days, excess power will be sold to the Colorado grid, but at night the mill will draw power from the grid, which still includes a good bit of fossil energy.

But that is getting fixed, too. Xcel Energy, the utility that supplies the Pueblo mill with electricity, has made one of the most ambitious commitments in the country to clean up its system. Luckily, about the time solar panels are going dark, strong winds whip up across the plains of eastern Colorado, where wind turbines will turn it into power.

Alice Jackson, who runs the Colorado division of Xcel, told me that at certain hours during the night, wind farms can supply as much as 70 percent of the power on the state grid, and that is likely to be true more and more often as the company signs contracts with new wind farms.

But, remarkable as it may be, one steel company going green is only a start on the kind of change we need.

Thanks anyway.

You're not even clicking the link. It's on my screen in full and I don't have a subscription.

not mine. you must have paid a subscription. duh, that was the point.

Thanks anyway.

or not.
upload_2019-10-25_10-53-5.png

Thanks anyway.

You can't read NYTimes or WaPo unless you subscribe.

Then I have elves subscribing me to the NYT because it works.

WaPo, no but NYT works.

A solar facility producing 240 MWs will require approximately 1900 acres of land.

Where rooftops are insufficient or unavailable, the land requirement for solar, in order to service larger companies, is enormous. Add to that the inability to produce electricity at night and the drawbacks are significant.

A clean molten salt nuclear reactor would be much more environmentally friendly.

Except the mill will not be run by green energy. It will be grid tied and use what money they do make during the day selling peak demand solar to cover the utility bills 24/7. That only works as longs as there are non-green providers putting electrons onto the grid.
Yes. We call that, "progress".

Lol

Oooooooops!!:aug08_031:

A solar facility producing 240 MWs will require approximately 1900 acres of land.

Where rooftops are insufficient or unavailable, the land requirement for solar, in order to service larger companies, is enormous. Add to that the inability to produce electricity at night and the drawbacks are significant.

A clean molten salt nuclear reactor would be much more environmentally friendly.

Have they found a way to manage the corrosion issues ?
Major molten salt nuclear fuel test completed

Have they found a way to manage the corrosion issues ?
Major molten salt nuclear fuel test completed

They are in the works. Just one example among many:

Molten salt reactor research develops class of alloys - World Nuclear News

Extrapolating this, a 1 MW solar PV power plant should require about 100000 sqft (about 2.5 acres, or 1 hectare). However, owing to the fact that large ground mounted solar PV farms require space for other accessories, the total land required for a 1 MW of solar PV power plant will be about 4 acres.

So a 240 MW installation would require about 1000 acres, about 2 sections. There was a solar installation installed on what was grazing land. Good grazing land that grew good grass with would have interfered with a normal installation. They installed the panels on taller poles, and grazed sheep beneath them. Another source of revenue and solved the grass problem.

Forum List

Back