A Special Place in Hell

People who do such things do have some truly scummy mental issues. Fact is everyone pays the price for what they do here so that special place is reserved right here in the world that is the valley of Jehosaphat.

People who do things like that are often seriously mentally ill. They may be born without a capacity for empathy.

They need to be stopped. I think it's interesting that we only hear the platitude, 'hate the sin, love the sinner' when it comes to homosexuality. Why do we not have a similar view when it comes to those who committ acts of violence and cruelty toward others? Hate the violence and cruelty--love the purity of being underneath it.

It comes down to whether we consider human beings to be essentially flawed or whether we think all beings have an essence of divinity within them, regardless of their actions.

The attitude we have toward people who are this damaged says a great deal about who we are, and how far from their cruelty we have progressed.

Last edited:
People who do things like that are often seriously mentally ill. They may be born without a capacity for empathy.

They need to be stopped.

The attitude we have toward people who are this damaged says a great deal about who we are, and how far from their cruelty we have progressed.

Almost all serial killers start off first by torturing animals.

They need to be stopped.

I'm aware of that. That's why we have to stop them before they progress any further. Torturing animals is a sign of severe mental illness.

They need to be stopped.

I'm aware of that. That's why we have to stop them before they progress any further. Torturing animals is a sign of severe mental illness.

Yes they do. What do you suggest? Why couldn't mankind stop the Ted Bundy's, Jeffery Dahmer's, John Wayne Gacy's of our time? We can put a man on the moon, build massive weapons and machines, but get inside a humans mind to try to make them not do evil, hmmmmmmmmmmm........................

They need to be stopped.

I'd have to disagree a bit with the "all who torture animals/people" are going to turn into serial killers. I have a bit of personal experience in seeing such persons in action. (Not willing to go into all the exact details on here about it.)

I look at those same people today more than forty years later and I see the forty years of pain and stress they have lived and live daily. I would not trade them any portions of their lives.

Yes they do. What do you suggest? Why couldn't mankind stop the Ted Bundy's, Jeffery Dahmer's, John Wayne Gacy's of our time? We can put a man on the moon, build massive weapons and machines, but get inside a humans mind to try to make them not do evil, hmmmmmmmmmmm........................

I'm saying that we need to recognize the behavior and treat the mental illness early before it progresses any further.

I'm saying that responding to cruelty by being cruel back is hell. I'm saying that having a mind incapable of empathy for other living creatures is living in hell.

I'm saying we have to take care in our reaction to the behavior--that we do not retaliate toward the abuser with the same motivation as the abuser in our own hearts.

I don't have all the answers, EZ. I'm not trying to be flip or judge anyone else for their reaction. I have the same human response of disgust toward cruelty as anyone else. I'm just musing and thinking about the topic and wondering if it is possible to 'hate the action but not the person'.

I'm trying to remember my own training, (which I forget daily), which is to remember that all beings have an essential potential of enlightenment. And also, that some beings do not have the circumstances in this lifetime to grow spiritually.

The question I pose is 'Can we stop someone from harming others without hating them? Can we stop them motivated out of kindness toward ourselves, toward others and even toward someone who committs an evil act? Can we separate the act from the person?" I ask this because Christians often say this about gay people. We love you--we hate your sin--the sin of loving someone of the same sex or making love to someone of the same sex. But Christians do consider vengeance and an eye for an eye compatible with their beliefs--which confuses me.

I'm trying to find consistency in my Buddhist teachings.

Last edited:

I'd have to disagree a bit with the "all who torture animals/people" are going to turn into serial killers. I have a bit of personal experience in seeing such persons in action. (Not willing to go into all the exact details on here about it.)

I look at those same people today more than forty years later and I see the forty years of pain and stress they have lived and live daily. I would not trade them any portions of their lives.

I agree that not all those who torture animals progress to becoming serial killers. There is an association in the lives of serial killers--that they often started out their careers of violence by torturing and killing animals when they were children or young adults.

Someone who is violent is usually violent across the board. The man who assaulted me two years ago beat his wife, his children, his grandparents and his pets.

Last edited:

I wasn't saying all who torture animals turn into serial killers, but that serial killers start off first by torturing animals. There are many reasons children may be cruel to animals, some reasons may be because they themselves are being abused at home. So sad, how do we break the cycle?

I wasn't saying all who torture animals turn into serial killers, but that serial killers start off first by torturing animals. There are many reasons children may be cruel to animals, some reasons may be because they themselves are being abused at home. So sad, how do we break the cycle?

We break the cycle by a compassionate response. We identify the harmful behavior and we stop it from recurring. We recognize the torture of animals as a request for help and we respond to that requestion in a firm way.

When we identify a child who is behaving cruelly--we don't allow that cruelty to continue. We teach alternatives. If the child is so disturbed that they are unable to stop the compulsion--we put the child in a safe place where he or she cannot harm others. We don't allow them to have pets until they learn not to hurt them.

That is like saying how do we break the cycle of hatred? One soul at a time. Education. Fight poverty as it also leads to such situations where children must grow up.

One of the persons from my childhood (torture) was an uncle. In looking back I think a lot of things played into his thought processes. I think he was about 11 when I was 5. He decided to do a tryout on me and see if one could really kill another with their bare hands. He was going through that stage of life where he thought he wanted to be a tough guy. A few years later it was the acid/drug stage for him and I just happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time (home with no parents for a weekend / the older uncle that was supposed to be there was a no show).

Now days he is all crippled up and his former actions haunt him. (I do not think he could be any more sorry than he already is for what he did back then). He grew up in a home where the razor strap was used and so violence was a means of control. It was not exactly considered abuse in the 40's and 50's or even into the 70's and 80's.

I hope that dogs soul follows whoever did that and haunts them to hell. Sick fucking rat bastards.

I hope that dogs soul follows whoever did that and haunts them to hell. Sick fucking rat bastards.

More than likely the dog will be the human in the next life. I hope the dog who becomes human uses his human life more richly than his perpetrator/torturer did.

Forum List

Back