A smart man

I saw this program a few months ago on my local PBS station Old Rocks. Every country they went to the question was asked: "Has anyone gone bankrupt getting health care in your country?". Of course no one had in fact a few of the interviewees were surprised at the question! Why should anyone go broke getting health care they wondered?

But I noticed there was one question that was never asked:

"What are your tax rates?".

As a side note, I know a nurse in Japan who is participating in the overhaul of the countrys' nationalized health care. It seems that the system is bankrupting the nation. Guess which country they're looking at for their future model of providing health care?

America.

Government is part of the solution with healthcare, the other part of the solution is the private sector. The government can't be responsible enough to do it all. That would be a boondoggle.

And in short order there would be no more new drugs. Germany's pharmaceutical industry once a world leader now largely operates over seas rather than in Germany.

And Thalidomide babies were largely a result of government interference in the drug industry.

It's true that if the US were to insist on drug prices as low as, say, Canada does, there would be virtually no money available for new drug company R&D and thus very few new drugs. But what if the US were to say we would pay no more than the per capita average paid by all the other developed countries? Because of the vastness of the US markets, to get that average up, drug companies would raise the prices for smaller countries like Canada and refuse to sell to them at all if they refused the increase. In this way we would contribute no more than the citizens of other developed countries to the research costs for new drugs.

Of course, the Europeans and Canadians would hate us for making them pay more for their meds, but if they didn't hate us for this, they would find some other reason.

Fact: Doctors do NOT want patients healthy or happy anyway, they just want you to live longer.

Fact: Health care is overpriced because they can use all the government regulations as excuses to raise their prices to whatever they want.

Fact: Unhealthy employees cannot work, or at least work well, so for any industry to function they need employees to be healthy.

Fact: Socialized health care only works if the costs are regulated, in which case the government shouldn't need to pay for it, however it would also require them to stop regulating the rest of health care.

Fact: Drug companies in the US seriously over charge for their medications, again using the regulations already placed on them as the excuse as well as using the same regulations to keep more affordable companies from selling here.

What do all these facts mean? It means the system is already screwed up and just paying for everyone isn't going to fix it, instead because of these problems, paying for everyone's health care will only break our country.

Fact: Doctors do NOT want patients healthy or happy anyway, they just want you to live longer.

Fact: Health care is overpriced because they can use all the government regulations as excuses to raise their prices to whatever they want.

Fact: Unhealthy employees cannot work, or at least work well, so for any industry to function they need employees to be healthy.

Fact: Socialized health care only works if the costs are regulated, in which case the government shouldn't need to pay for it, however it would also require them to stop regulating the rest of health care.

Fact: Drug companies in the US seriously over charge for their medications, again using the regulations already placed on them as the excuse as well as using the same regulations to keep more affordable companies from selling here.

What do all these facts mean? It means the system is already screwed up and just paying for everyone isn't going to fix it, instead because of these problems, paying for everyone's health care will only break our country.

Agreed. I was able to get off high blood pressure medicine through diet and exercise, I don't intend to go back on it. I watch for cholesterol levels, by watching fats in what I eat. With those givens, I've no intention of visiting docs to get all the meds available.

Going the route of my grandparents, no visits to doc unless in too much pain to take it. Which means end stage of cancer or like. I don't want to hang in there in my 80's or 90's, unlike my parents I'll not be able to afford it.

Not a complaint, I hope more go that route, leaving time for their kids to get out from under this debt.

Agreed. I was able to get off high blood pressure medicine through diet and exercise, I don't intend to go back on it. I watch for cholesterol levels, by watching fats in what I eat. With those givens, I've no intention of visiting docs to get all the meds available.

Going the route of my grandparents, no visits to doc unless in too much pain to take it. Which means end stage of cancer or like. I don't want to hang in there in my 80's or 90's, unlike my parents I'll not be able to afford it.

Not a complaint, I hope more go that route, leaving time for their kids to get out from under this debt.

I live by that philosophy as well now. When I was young I was misdiagnosed as schezo-whatever-you-call-it and basically forced to take the meds ... I was a teenager ... what teenager do you know who isn't a little off their rocker? Anyhow ... I managed to fool them into thinking nothing else was wrong just because I started getting the side effects (worse since I didn't actually have the problem to begin with) and once I turned 18 ... said so long to docs. Went back a few years ago (2006) for arthritis because it started getting bad and thought there may be a way to slow it's progression (love genetics), anyhow, the meds they put me on started giving me some severe side effects, so I stopped and told the doctor about them ... she wanted to put me on MORE meds for those side effects. That was it, back to the "unless I can't move, just leave me be" philosophy again. Gotten use to the level of pain and it hasn't progressed anymore ... and look ... no side effects from just adjusting to it. The only thing I go to them for now is the internal infections, when they hurt enough to make me worried. Then all I take are the antibiotics, tossing the pain pills most times.

I enjoy reading all the silliness here.

A single payer healthcare system has inherent cost savings because it is more efficient than having 150 different insurance companies and the government paying for healthcare. UH would also make our businesses more competitive worldwide because they would no longer have to pay for healthcare.

There is much less overhead and much less paperwork for doctors. That is why the majority of doctors in America are now for universal healthcare... which is government insurance, not socialized medicine like they have in England.

A single payer healthcare system has inherent cost savings because it is more efficient than having 150 different insurance companies and the government paying for healthcare. UH would also make our businesses more competitive worldwide because they would no longer have to pay for healthcare.

There is much less overhead and much less paperwork for doctors. That is why the majority of doctors in America are now for universal healthcare... which is government insurance, not socialized medicine like they have in England.

You do realize that without competition prices would sky rocket even higher ... right? The Medical Industry is not immune to economics.

I live by that philosophy as well now. When I was young I was misdiagnosed as schezo-whatever-you-call-it and basically forced to take the meds ... I was a teenager ... what teenager do you know who isn't a little off their rocker? Anyhow ... I managed to fool them into thinking nothing else was wrong just because I started getting the side effects (worse since I didn't actually have the problem to begin with) and once I turned 18 ... said so long to docs. Went back a few years ago (2006) for arthritis because it started getting bad and thought there may be a way to slow it's progression (love genetics), anyhow, the meds they put me on started giving me some severe side effects, so I stopped and told the doctor about them ... she wanted to put me on MORE meds for those side effects. That was it, back to the "unless I can't move, just leave me be" philosophy again. Gotten use to the level of pain and it hasn't progressed anymore ... and look ... no side effects from just adjusting to it. The only thing I go to them for now is the internal infections, when they hurt enough to make me worried. Then all I take are the antibiotics, tossing the pain pills most times.

Right now I do not take any meds, not even the 'heart aspirin'. That I would take, if my bp was climbing, but right now under control. I consider this an early 'DNR' mode. I try to take care of my health, I'm educated enough to know what I should and shouldn't eat under normal circumstances. However, I'm not running to docs for colds, flu, etc. If I contracted another kidney infection, would I let that kill me? No. I'd go and get the antibiotics. With that said, will I start down the road of bp meds, plavix, etc? No. I've decided for ME, for my CIRCUMSTANCES, that is not a road I'll go.

Right now I do not take any meds, not even the 'heart aspirin'. That I would take, if my bp was climbing, but right now under control. I consider this an early 'DNR' mode. I try to take care of my health, I'm educated enough to know what I should and shouldn't eat under normal circumstances. However, I'm not running to docs for colds, flu, etc. If I contracted another kidney infection, would I let that kill me? No. I'd go and get the antibiotics. With that said, will I start down the road of bp meds, plavix, etc? No. I've decided for ME, for my CIRCUMSTANCES, that is not a road I'll go.

Wise choices. Often times people forget the quality of life over the quantity anyway, and clearly you have not. These "long term care" meds are not conducive to a very high quality of life, take your chances instead, just listen to what your own body tells you first and foremost, and you will have a lifespan you will be happy with as well as a fulfilling one.

I hate responding to my own posts, but just got this email with lots of images inbedded, but will not transfer them. The gist is what I'm saying. It's about cleaning, but the same can be said about our topic. There should be limits.

Dusting

"A house becomes a home when you can write "I love you" on the furniture."

I can't tell you how many countless hours that I have spent CLEANING!

I used to spend at least 8 hours every weekend making sure things were just perfect --
"in case someone came over." Then I realized one day that no-one came over; they were all out living life and having fun!

Now, when people visit, I find no need to explain the "condition" of my home. They are more interested in hearing about the things I've been doing while I was away living life and having fun. If you haven't figured this out yet, please heed this advice.

Life is short. Enjoy it! Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better to paint a picture or write a letter, bake a cake or plant a seed, ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
music to hear and books to read, friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair, a flutter of snow, a shower of rain. This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind, old age will come and it's not kind. And when you go -- and go you must -- you, yourself will make more dust!

Last edited:

You do realize that without competition prices would sky rocket even higher ... right? The Medical Industry is not immune to economics.

Please do a little reading about this subject. You might start with wikipedia's Universal Healthcare page. It is a pretty good overview.

If the government is the insurance company, then the government has leverage to negotiate lower prices with the drug companies. That is why drugs are cheaper in Canada and Mexico.

Please do a little reading about this subject. You might start with wikipedia's Universal Healthcare page. It is a pretty good overview.

If the government is the insurance company, then the government has leverage to negotiate lower prices with the drug companies. That is why drugs are cheaper in Canada and Mexico.

First ... wiki? Really ... wiki?

Secondly ... no, it's because they don't have enough money to spend on them, there is no way they could make any profit there if they did charge the same as the US. Comparing our prices to other countries without including the strength of their economic power doesn't work. All medical care in Japan is cheaper to ... but their health care is not government controlled ... so explain that one.

Why would he realize that? When has he ever realized anything when reality is involved?

Let's ignore 200 years of economic theory because of wikipedia.... right.

No, that's caring for the sick.

Something everyone should do.

Forcing people to labor for another is slavery.

Government cannot take care of the sick. Government can't care for anyone. And even if it could, you sure as heck arent taking care of anyone by purposely making the system worse in order for you claim to have a problem you can fix later on.

Government isnt the answer to anything, it's the problem. Stop expecting the government to provide you with everything. Stop expecting the government to provide others with everything. Get off your lazy ass and help other people yourself instead of throwing oher peoples money at the sick to make them go away.

75% of the people that are bankrupted by medical bills in this nation are have insurance. There is a family going bankrupt in the USA every 30 seconds because of medical bills. In other industrial nations the figure is zero. And zero for the whole year, as a matter of fact. And they pay, through their programs about half of what we do per capita. And have longer life spans with much lower infant mortality.

But then you are a typically compassionate Conservative, and would rather spend billions to kill in a war based on lies than spend that money for our own citizens.

Let's ignore 200 years of economic theory because of wikipedia.... right.

Here's how five democratic capitalist nations do health care far better than we do;

FRONTLINE: sick around the world | PBS

Sanjay is Indian and Obama is half Kenyan. Are there no "white" Americans left who can do a good job leading?

New Topics

Forum List

Back