A small trip to the grocery...a large aggravation.

That's what charities are for. They can discriminate against those they deem worthy and those who are self-destructive. The problem with government programs is that the PC police and special interest groups always pervert them so that a great deal of money is wasted on those for whom the program was originally not intended to help.

Charities that descriminate against those that are self-destructive are fine.

Charities that descriminate for no reason are not. THAT is a slippery slope.

We have all seen it...each time frowning in quiet frustration.
I saw it again today.
I decided to make a tomato-cucumber salad to go with chicken breast I am going to grill, but I didn't have any red onions, or for that matter cucumbers either.
I am standing in the "fast lane" looking at what this women and daughter in front of me were buying.
A quick inventory and I summed up the following:

4 -12 packs of soda pop.
2 - packages of bologna.
1 giant bag of cheese-ball puffs.
1 giant bag of cheese popcorn.
1 loaf of bread.
2 - 1 litre cold coke bottles (guess they can't wait till they get home..need it now)

Annnnd...3 packs of cigarettes.

She mentioned to the clerk to ring up the cigarettes separately. The clerk didn't blink an eye.
Then I understood why - she paid for the junk food and pop with a food stamp card, and the f*cking cigarettes with cash.

Yet another example of wasted taxpayer money.
Man that pisses me off.

I know just how you feel! I had a moment like that not to long ago and it when like this.

Mother with 4 children and pregnant. In line with a load of JUNK! Chips, soda, candy, frozen dinners, you know just crap.That was fine until she hung me up taking time to pay for her cart of shit.

She separates out the stuff, tells the cashier to ring this part up with wick tickets, this part with food stamps, and the rest would bay cash for.

Form her COACH hand bag she produces a $100 dollar bill and pays for her beer, liqueur, cigarettes and fashion magazines. :eek::eek:

Now before you get bent M what pissed the shit out of me was not the food stamps ,wick tickets or the load of junk she was buying. What pissed the hell out of me was

1- 4 kids already and pregnant. And cant afforded any of them.
2- The Coach hand bag. And yes i KNOW a real one from a fake.
3- The cash to pay for booze and cigarettes and fashion magazines.

That's what charities are for. They can discriminate against those they deem worthy and those who are self-destructive. The problem with government programs is that the PC police and special interest groups always pervert them so that a great deal of money is wasted on those for whom the program was originally not intended to help.

Charities that descriminate against those that are self-destructive are fine.

Charities that descriminate for no reason are not. THAT is a slippery slope.

Then such charities will easily be outed, especially in the age of the internet, and their donations will dry up.

Last edited:
We have all seen it...each time frowning in quiet frustration.
I saw it again today.
I decided to make a tomato-cucumber salad to go with chicken breast I am going to grill, but I didn't have any red onions, or for that matter cucumbers either.
I am standing in the "fast lane" looking at what this women and daughter in front of me were buying.
A quick inventory and I summed up the following:

4 -12 packs of soda pop.
2 - packages of bologna.
1 giant bag of cheese-ball puffs.
1 giant bag of cheese popcorn.
1 loaf of bread.
2 - 1 litre cold coke bottles (guess they can't wait till they get home..need it now)

Annnnd...3 packs of cigarettes.

She mentioned to the clerk to ring up the cigarettes separately. The clerk didn't blink an eye.
Then I understood why - she paid for the junk food and pop with a food stamp card, and the f*cking cigarettes with cash.

Yet another example of wasted taxpayer money.
Man that pisses me off.

I know just how you feel! I had a moment like that not to long ago and it when like this.

Mother with 4 children and pregnant. In line with a load of JUNK! Chips, soda, candy, frozen dinners, you know just crap.That was fine until she hung me up taking time to pay for her cart of shit.

She separates out the stuff, tells the cashier to ring this part up with wick tickets, this part with food stamps, and the rest would bay cash for.

Form her COACH hand bag she produces a $100 dollar bill and pays for her beer, liqueur, cigarettes and fashion magazines. :eek::eek:

Now before you get bent M what pissed the shit out of me was not the food stamps ,wick tickets or the load of junk she was buying. What pissed the hell out of me was

3- The cash to pay for booze and cigarettes and fashion magazines.

That's what I'm talking about. :evil:

Mebbe you could make up a list of foods only poor people can eat, iamwhatiseem. Jesus, the snobbery of some people.

Something to complain about. The OP is probably sitting there drunk posting on a Sunday afternoon. :lol:

Mebbe you have that $15 because your food costs have been slashed. Mebbe smoking is all that keeps you from losing it, as you fret over all the crap pressing down on you. I'm all for healthy living, for nutrious foods and such...but shaming poor people is not my cuppa.

Y'all can have this party without me. I have been poor, and it SUCKED.

Don't break your arm, patting yourself on the back, there,

'cuz I've been there and done that, too.

I had to ask for assistance, but here's where the similarity with the OP's example ends:

I tried to be a good steward with what I was given, spending it on nutritious food for myself and my son.

Like Pepe, I was embarrassed and I made SURE that NO ONE would be able to look at the products I was spending THEIR money on and think I was just frittering it away on crap.

Last edited:

3- The cash to pay for booze and cigarettes and fashion magazines. [/COLOR]

I'd add to that that the food she is buying is incredibly unhealthy for the kids, who are the justification for her getting assistance in the first place.

3- The cash to pay for booze and cigarettes and fashion magazines. [/color]

I'd add to that that the food she is buying is incredibly unhealthy for the kids, who are the justification for her getting assistance in the first place.

"But the kids* won't eat anything other than the name-brand junk and soda."

(* "The Kids" being a 115 lb 9 year old, a 100lb 8 year old, a 90lb 6 year old, and 75lb 4 year old)

Well, bub. That's what we're going to get when Rights are redefined as Positive Rights which the Government is supposed to fulfill.

3- The cash to pay for booze and cigarettes and fashion magazines. [/COLOR]

I totally agree. But its her kids and she has the right to feed them any way she chooses.

My aggravation is that she has the ability to buy her stuff and not have to pay for what she is feeding her kids. My guess is if she didn't have the wick or food stamps those kids would be eating MUCH better. Simply because mom would tell them sorry kids you cant have the soda or junk because mom cant AFFORD to buy that kind of junk

Of course she has the right to feed them whatever she wishes - with her own money. The rest of us should not have to subsidize her (or anyone else for that matter).

I dunno where a chick on food stamps would get a Coach bag, unless she had it before she became poor. I found it so demoralizing to be on food stamps I could hardly breathe...and having people on line at the grocery judge me for what I bought would not have helped. Whatever assistance we give, some who we'd ruther not aid will benefit. IMO, that's no excuse for layering on degradation to all the other sorrows of the poor.

Wanna help? I'm sure there are a million ways to do so, or if none of them suit you, start your own program. I just don't think people should be made to pay for food with their dignity.

Degradation?

The ones who are being degrading are the poor working stiffs who pay the taxes which support this woman and her unhealthy brood.

Mebbe you have that $15 because your food costs have been slashed. Mebbe smoking is all that keeps you from losing it, as you fret over all the crap pressing down on you. I'm all for healthy living, for nutrious foods and such...but shaming poor people is not my cuppa.

And you think you are the only one?

There are two kinds of poverty in America, one is by circumstance - the other is by choice. The first is usually temporary, the second is multi-generational.
I want/do/will always support taxpayer money going to the first, as well as give to charities - the latter can sleep in a cardboard tent for all I care.

Last edited:
I dunno where a chick on food stamps would get a Coach bag, unless she had it before she became poor. I found it so demoralizing to be on food stamps I could hardly breathe...and having people on line at the grocery judge me for what I bought would not have helped. Whatever assistance we give, some who we'd ruther not aid will benefit. IMO, that's no excuse for layering on degradation to all the other sorrows of the poor.

Wanna help? I'm sure there are a million ways to do so, or if none of them suit you, start your own program. I just don't think people should be made to pay for food with their dignity.

I understand M. I wasnt judging her on what she was buying for her kids.

I judged her on what she bought for herself and paid for in cash. I judged her for her current line coach hand bag, a nice $500 dollar one at that. I judged her for having 4 kids she couldn't feed in the first place and being pregnant.

There are two kinds of poverty in America, one is by circumstance - the other is by choice. The first is usually temporary, the second is multi-generational.
I want/do/will always support taxpayer money going to the first, as well as give to charities - the latter can sleep in a cardboard tent for all I care.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I would rep you again but it wont let me!

It isn't that simple. What's a "choice"? Are the children ever able to choose? Nope. What about teenagers? Can they choose to stay off drugs, not get pregnant, stay in school, etc.? No, not without hope...and far too few have hope.

There's an underlying theme of "I'm so much better than that broad" running through this that bothers me. You don't know what her life is like....seems to me, it's shitty to judge her.

I judged her on what she bought for herself and paid for in cash. I judged her for her current line coach hand bag, a nice $500 dollar one at that. I judged her for having 4 kids she couldn't feed in the first place and being pregnant.

It does get hard not to lose patience, syrenn. I know that.

As it stands, our anti-poverty programs largely serve the second.

It does get hard not to lose patience, syrenn. I know that.

LOL i lost patients...and had the time to do all of this judging because he held up the line fishing in the coach hand bag for her...oh yeah coach wallet...looking for her cash!

Forum List

Back