A small meal you eat at the end of your main meal?

AnnieGal1

Rookie
Aug 16, 2018
Why is there only a word (as far as I know, at least a popular one) for a small amount of food you eat before you eat your main meal (appetizer)? I cannot be the only person who eats the smaller stuff at the end besides for high in sugar and fattening desert and thinks it makes perhaps more sense too. You start off hungry and are only concerned with filling that so eat your main meal first (maybe you can have an appetizer as well so you won't have to chomp everything down at once, probably not the best). Sometimes, it is isn't enough, yet you don't need another whole second, and you don't want to go for the drastically sweeter desert at least yet, especially if you're at a restaurant and have to pay for your meal. So it makes more than perfect sense to eat a little something at the end of your meal. Yet there is no word (at least used often enough) for this "end of meal appetizer." It's not a "side dish" because that goes along with your mean. Is it called a "filler" (obviously not used enough if it is)? Does anyone know, if it exists? Thanks.

Last edited:
Its called seconds.
Ok the dictionary defines seconds (in terms of meals) as: a second course or second helping of food at a meal.
So I guess you are technically right, but I usually think of that as associated with still a larger meal- larger than, say, an appetizer, so I still wonder what else might be out there...

Its called seconds.
Ok the dictionary defines seconds (in terms of meals) as: a second course or second helping of food at a meal.
So I guess you are technically right, but I usually think of that as associated with still a larger meal- larger than, say, an appetizer, so I still wonder what else might be out there...
A small meal that you eat at the end of your main meal can also be desert.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I love brownies. :) :) :)

Dinners/meals come in courses. Seconds are technically a "course". Sounds like a final course, unless it's followed by a dessert.

Or a "clincher," that's probably better. Just that extra something you eat in order to help with filling you up:)

Forum List

Back