A small gun for protection~

Yeah, I'm thinking SMALL guys! I would of course get trained at a shooting range first.
Don't think TOO small. You want to have some hit power. So .22's are out. Also, the semi-autos give you more rounds. It works like this:

If someone breaks into your home, chances are the coward puke has buddies. Therefore, 5 rounds of a 22 to stop the first guy leaves you nothing for his buddies coming in behind him, who might be armed too. Go at LEAST .32, and I recommend the 40 caliber Glock personally. And load hollow points.

Shotguns? Great if you have the time to wield them. If you've got 4 feet of distance between you and the perp, and time to point and shoot, sure. They're also quite messy, there will be bloody pellets all over your freaking house.

Shotguns are for hunting. For outdoor use. Pistols are for shooting perps who break into your home.

Yeah, I'm thinking SMALL guys! I would of course get trained at a shooting range first.
Don't think TOO small. You want to have some hit power. So .22's are out. Also, the semi-autos give you more rounds. It works like this:

If someone breaks into your home, chances are the coward puke has buddies. Therefore, 5 rounds of a 22 to stop the first guy leaves you nothing for his buddies coming in behind him, who might be armed too. Go at LEAST .32, and I recommend the 40 caliber Glock personally. And load hollow points.

Shotguns? Great if you have the time to wield them. If you've got 4 feet of distance between you and the perp, and time to point and shoot, sure. They're also quite messy, there will be bloody pellets all over your freaking house.

Shotguns are for hunting. For outdoor use. Pistols are for shooting perps who break into your home.

You can get a 22 that looks badass! I've seen some that look like 45s!

You can get a 22 that looks badass! I've seen some that look like 45s!
But they have the hit power of a BB. Looks don't matter after the dude is still coming at you after three hits.

DON'T get a 22! Get something that will STOP an intruder.

In NJ, sentencing for even possessing hollow points is calculated in years per bullet. :(

why a small gun? i am all for a shotgun...every heard one of them lock and load?

12 Gauge Pump. The Sound of Music. Will send them running, hopefully without firing a shot.
Pffft.

So they can come back later with more guys, more guns? Or so they can find a safer target, like the little old lady down the street?

If you have them in your house, kill them.

In NJ, sentencing for even possessing hollow points is calculated in years per bullet. :(
Yep state and local laws must be followed. For example -- you don't have to register shotguns or long rifles in NY state, but in NYC you do!

My wife asked me a few days ago, after listening to dialoge concerning civil unrest due to a number of eventualities, for personnal firearm protection at home and in the car.

I was mildly surprised. Up until now she didn't want anything to do with firearms and wouldn't allow them in the house. We do live in a safe city and neighborhood. Violent crime doesn't touch our little world. So the need just wasn't there.

But seeing how people (society) falls apart so quickly, as in hurricane disaster areas, Katrina is an example close to us, she is not going to stand by and see her world destroyed by vandals.

So it's two shotguns for the home and a .40 cal for the car glove box. Training will be part of the package.

I'm personnally saddened to see these events cause my wife so much distress but other families we know are also arming themselves.

There seems to be something in the air and I don't like this paranoia. Reminds me of the tornado warnings in Topeka, Kansas, just kept you on edge whenever a cloud appeared. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
My wife asked me a few days ago, after listening to dialoge concerning civil unrest due to a number of eventualities, for personnal firearm protection at home and in the car.

I was mildly surprised. Up until now she didn't want anything to do with firearms and wouldn't allow them in the house. We do live in a safe city and neighborhood. Violent crime doesn't touch our little world. So the need just wasn't there.

But seeing how people (society) falls apart so quickly, as in hurricane disaster areas, Katrina is an example close to us, she is not going to stand by and see her world destroyed by vandals.

So it's two shotguns for the home and a .40 cal for the car glove box. Training will be part of the package.

I'm personnally saddened to see these events cause my wife so much distress but other families we know are also arming themselves.

There seems to be something in the air and I don't like this paranoia. Reminds me of the tornado warnings in Topeka, Kansas, just kept you on edge whenever a cloud appeared. My 2 cents.

I feel as though, if you don't have a record, you should have guns in your possession. You really don't want to give anyone the upper hand.

I really don't want a meth head breaking into my home because he is high....etc.

Thanks for all the advice ya all! :thup:

Talked to my big brother last night and his wife and I are going to take gun safety classes together. He knows of a place here on the south side of Indy that sells guns and offers classes. So I think I'm going to try that. He said the owner would be able to help me with the type of gun that best fits me.

I am still scared a bit, I have never been a gun person, but 2 women alone.............

I'm thinking about getting one. I've never been a gun person, though both my brothers and my sister carry.

I was talking to a friend on here, and he asked what I would do to protect my daughter and myself if someone broke in the condo. He's right, what would I do? It's safe here, but you're never really safe I guess.

So,,, any advice for what I should do?

Thanks.

Oh my! This is a big decision. Are you sure you want to do this? My wife is not a gun person and that is fine with me.

You should commit to practicing at a shooting range about every 3 months.

I'd recommend a small revolver like the following:

Concealment Pistol: Smith and Wesson 642 with Crimson Trace grips « Consumer Maven

With a semi-auto, you can keep the ammo separate until the need arises.

Besides that, just popping the magazine into the grip and cocking that bad boy can be deterrent enough.

BUT... it's a bad idea to keep ammo loaded in a semi autos clip full time. The feed spring in them will get weak over time and you'll squeeze off one or two rounds and the gun will jam because there isn't enough pressure to feed the next round into the breach fast enough. So if you're going to buy a semi auto for protection and plan on keeping a loaded clip laying around, you're going to have to buy four or five clips and rotate them so that the springs in the unloaded clips have time to rest. So that's one thing a revolver has over a clip feed pistol, you can keep a revolver loaded up indefinitely with no ill effects what so ever. Buy a speed loader for it.

Last edited:
BUT... it's a bad idea to keep ammo loaded in a semi autos clip full time. The feed spring in them will get weak over time and you'll squeeze off one or two rounds and the gun will jam because there isn't enough pressure to feed the next round into the breach fast enough. So if you're going to buy a semi auto for protection and plan on keeping a loaded clip laying around, you're going to have to buy four or five clips and rotate them so that the springs in the unloaded clips have time to rest. So that's one thing a revolver has over a clip feed pistol, you can keep a revolver loaded up indefinitely with no ill effects what so ever. Buy a speed loader for it.
Anyone keeping a pistol just laying around, and not practicing with it regularly, not staying sharp -- keeping it clean and fully functional at all times -- deserves misfires.

There is no need for any special spring maintenance on semi-auto clips, if you're practicing regularly. Because then you are naturally rotating the load, and the stock.

Forum List

Back