A Skeptical Liberal Becoming More Concerned About the Obama Cabinet and Appointees

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
This post is probably going to make you GOP dipsticks happy, but I want other liberals and Democrats' reactions to my thoughts.

Being a far leftist I voted for Obama for a number of reasons:

1. He's not conservative therefore he believes in change.

2. He's black and will have a perspective of what needs to happen in the world because he will better understand oppression: that there needs to be some real change.

3. He's educated and talented: and therefore, he knows that politics and the status quo needs to change.

4. He's young and new and will bring a fresh perspective to the White House which will inherently bring change.

5. His message was change.

So, now he's picking a bunch of former Clintonites:

1. Rahm Emmanuel - which may or may not be a big deal since he's appointed as Chief of Staff and won't have much effect on policy.

2. Tom Daschle - also may not be a big deal because he has good ideas on health care though I think there were better choices.

3. Eric Holder - a terrible choice for me. The War on Drugs has been a complete failure and minimum mandatory sentences are not justice. Just read Blackascoal's views on this to understand a liberal's perspective: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/64586-obama-sells-out-americas-youth-with-eric-holder.html

4. Janet Napolitano - I've not read much about her but the little I have isn't good. And someone's who opinion I respect has little good to say about her: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/64604-janet-napolitano-your-kidding.html

5. Hilary, herself. Although possibly a pragmatic choice, I think Barbara Bodine would've been a better choice. Hilary might be well received around the world, but I think that Barbara Bodine is better experienced and more intelligent and less loyal to the Democratic Party (though hardly loyal to the GOP - I just think she wouldn't identify with neither).

When I voted for change, I didn't vote for change back to the 1990s - I voted for new change. Most of us agree, liberals and conservatives, that politics, especially Washington politics, are screwed up. The status quo sucks - to put it bluntly.

I really want policy changes, but I want new politics as well.

Lobbyists and special interest groups exert far too much influence, and it seems Obama is attempting to deal with that. I think that's great.

However, I don't want to go back to the Clinton Era, as good as it was, it was still not great.

Although, I think it is too early to really judge what the direction of the Obama administration will really be, I am growing increasingly concerned about his appointees. I don't want complete inexperience, but I don't want people already warped by Washington politics.

What do other Democrats and liberals think of these choices? And try to avoid apologist statements.

I am fine thus far... No matter who is put where, Obama will still be the crucial hub that will parse all ideas as they filter in from each agency...

I think that no matter who he picks it is going to be someone that has had some experience in the Clinton Administration simply because the Clinton Administration was only eight years ago and we haven't had a Democratic administration since. Would you rather he employ former Dubya people? Or people with absolutely no experience whatsoever? Not me.

As for him being far left, I think he pretty much debunked that myth before the election with his vote on FISA and opinion of offshore drilling.

I think that no matter who he picks it is going to be someone that has had some experience in the Clinton Administration simply because the Clinton Administration was only eight years ago and we haven't had a Democratic administration since. Would you rather he employ former Dubya people? Or people with absolutely no experience whatsoever? Not me.

As for him being far left, I think he pretty much debunked that myth before the election with his vote on FISA and opinion of offshore drilling.

I never thought Obama as far left - from my perspective he's WAY more centrist than left.

the only people I ever heard call Obama an extremist leftist, or a Marxist were wingnuts.

I never thought Obama was anything more that a pragmatist who is more center than left.

Am I surprised he picks experienced people from the Clinton administration? No, I told wingnuts for Months that at best, Obama was going to be a pragmatic centrist like Clinton was. And boy, did I get howls of objections from wingnuts, who insisted Obama was a marxist.

So, the fact that his voting record shows he's the most liberal Senator means what to you people?

I can see where a leftist would be disappointed with his choice of cabinet members. Personally, I'm enjoying them. I loved the Clinton administration, and if Obama had said all along it was his goal to mimick Bill, he may have earned my vote. Instead, he said he was all about change and how he was not a Washington insider, indicating that he would fill his administration with fresh faces that don't know shit. So, really, I'm getting the President I wanted, and all the leftwing loonies aren't getting shit. It's enjoyable.

The change I was looking for was change from a republican controled US.

Im very happy to see people who know how to govern in the cabinet.

Obama wants a group of people who can hit the ground running to tackle the mess the Republicans have left us in.

Forum List

Back