A Situation We Don't Want To Be In

Mar 18, 2004
God forbid...

Let's fast forward two years. Iraq is stabile. Afghanistan is stabile. We're still in both countries, though. Both nations have held elections. Osama bin Laden was caught and put to death. Saddam Hussein was put on trial and put to death. Al-Qaeda's leaders have been caught and killed, and its structure has fallen apart... al-Qaeda as a network will be done pretty much within a few years from now.

Boom. April 4th, 2006, a nuclear suitcase bomb goes off in Times Square and destroys half of Midtown Manhattan, killing 250,000 people. One terrorist with one suitcase did it.

How we respond?

If we find out it was a terrorist group, such as Hezbollah, of course we attatck Hezbollah where they are. But, the government that supports them... Syria... do we nuke them in return?

Do we nuke state sponsors of terrorism? What if North Korea passed off a nuke to a terrorist and that terrorist did it? Do we nuke North Korea, even if we aren't 100% certain they sponsored the attack?

Terrorist regimes are hard to deal with. They can cause damage without leaving their fingerprints on an attack. What if a Pakistani intelligence official let terrorists into their nuclear sites, to take a nuke... do we remove the Pakistani regime, even if it had been a friend against al-Qaeda?

How can we nuke individuals in return? The days of "Soviet Union nukes NY, US nukes Moscow" are over. It isn't black and white anymore.

We attack any regime which sponsors terrorism. Also, the nuking scenario is why we have been so tough on eliminating as many WMDs as we can. Right now, Russia, India, France, the UK, China, Israel, Pakistan, and the U.S. have nukes, and we'd like to keep it that way. It's really one of those things we wish we could un-invent.

I would think that the US has made it perfectly clear that an attack on the US itself with WMD's will result in retaliation of a like response. If a nuke goes off in this country, rest assured that whatever country sponsored that terrorist is going to have a brand new parking lot of glass.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I would think that the US has made it perfectly clear that an attack on the US itself with WMD's will result in retaliation of a like response. If a nuke goes off in this country, rest assured that whatever country sponsored that terrorist is going to have a brand new parking lot of glass.

I sincerely hope it doesnt come to that. But yes, unless a democrat is in office, a parking lot will be made somewhere in the Middle East upon that occurrence.

Originally posted by insein
I sincerely hope it doesnt come to that. But yes, unless a democrat is in office, a parking lot will be made somewhere in the Middle East upon that occurrence.

depends on the democrat, of course that doesn't apply to any of the turkeys in the front running right now :terror:

New Topics

Forum List

Back