A 'Shift' in the 'Main Stream Media'?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems the media is using their infamous quote, ( ' ' ) marks on different types of information:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...03/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_democrats&cid=694&ncid=716

Kerry Hits Back at GOP 'Insults'

1 hour, 13 minutes ago

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Writer

NEWARK, Ohio - In a scathing attack, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) accused Republicans of hiding President Bush (news - web sites)'s "record of failure" behind insults and promised a new direction for the country under a Kerry-Edwards administration.

Kerry, speaking to a midnight rally as Bush closed the GOP convention in New York with his acceptance speech, said the president was "unfit to lead this nation" because of the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and his record on jobs, health care and energy prices.

He lashed out at the commander in chief and Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) for not serving in Vietnam during the war and for comments made during the convention about Kerry's fitness to occupy the Oval Office.

"I will not have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have and who misled America into Iraq," he told a crowd of thousands in Springfield.

Cheney and Sen. Zell Miller (news, bio, voting record), D-Ga., led a chorus of Republicans who challenged Kerry's credentials to be commander in chief, arguing that although they respected his decorated Vietnam War service, Kerry's 20-year voting record in the Senate on national security issues made him unfit for the nation's top job.

Kerry faulted the president and Republicans for not talking about "real issues" — creating jobs, improving the economy, expanding access to health care and reducing gasoline prices.

"They did everything except talk about that" at the four-day convention, Kerry said. "We've had insults, we've had anger from Republicans. And I'll tell you why," Kerry said. "Because they can't come to you and talk to you about having created jobs since they've lost them. They can't come to you and talk to you about creating health care since 5 million Americans have lost it.

"Their own labor secretary talks about exporting jobs overseas," he said. "They can't talk about their record because it is a record of failure. And so all they do is attack."

[,,,]

Kerry said the GOP convention was tinged by "anger" and "distortion."

[...]

rtwngAvngr said:
YEah. National security is not a 'real' issue. Oh for pete's sake.

I didn't hear a lot of talk about issues from the DNC. The Kerry campaign has been nothing but negative since the beginning. O wait, that is not entirely true; they are pretty positive about Kerry being a war hero. I have seen no concrete plan for the way ahead should Kerry get elected. "I will create jobs" is nothing but rhetoric without a plan to implement (welfare is not a job!).

I think the US citizenry is beginning to tire of the doom and gloom being spewed by the Dems. I know I am.

CSM said:
I didn't hear a lot of talk about issues from the DNC. The Kerry campaign has been nothing but negative since the beginning. O wait, that is not entirely true; they are pretty positive about Kerry being a war hero. I have seen no concrete plan for the way ahead should Kerry get elected. "I will create jobs" is nothing but rhetoric without a plan to implement (welfare is not a job!).

I think the US citizenry is beginning to tire of the doom and gloom being spewed by the Dems. I know I am.

You're not being entirely fair here. The fact is that kerry DOES have a plan.

But it's a secret.

Just can't tell you about it right now.

But it's there.

Trust him.

Would he lie?

CSM said:

We know how dems create jobs: Government spending/makework programs divorced from any actual market need.

We all know how republicancs create jobs and it works: Tax cuts targetted especially towards the investor class, people who will come up with business plans which serve actual market needs.

Kathianne said:
He lashed out at the commander in chief and Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) for not serving in Vietnam during the war and for comments made during the convention about Kerry's fitness to occupy the Oval Office.

"I will not have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have and who misled America into Iraq," he told a crowd of thousands in Springfield.

Let's see - GW was in the Guard, so that means he was one of "those who refused to serve when they could have ".

Three things are rather humorous about that statement.

One, apparently membership in the Guard or Reserves did not qualify as "service" - according to Lurch.

Second, the fact is that Lurch desperately attempted to join the Reserves. He only opted for active duty as a means of eluding a career assignment that he disliked.

Third, neither Bush nor Cheney questioned kerry's "commitment to defend this country" based on his Viet Nam record. They based that on his waffling, his voting record and his insistence on allowing the UN to make those decisions.

Finally, Lurch is once again referring to his "war record". If he thinks that most Americans view three and one half months of service spent medal-prospecting and filming himself as being a "committment to defend this country" then he has a truly cynical opinion of the intelligence level of the people who he thinks may vote for him.

Perhaps Lurch is getting so punchy that he can no longer remember who was the last to slap him across his ugly chops. If memory serves, I believe it was the Swift Boat Vets who have been hammering him for his short visit to the RVN and for his lies and distortions upon his return.

Ooops - almost forgot. Then there's Zell Miller who landed several roundhouse haymakers this past Wednesday. No wonder kerry is walking around in a daze. If his campaign staff wasn't holding him up, he'd be out cold on the floor.

Kerry, speaking to a midnight rally as Bush closed the GOP convention in New York with his acceptance speech, said the president was "unfit to lead this nation" because of the war in Iraq
Kerry voted for it and he said he would have done it again.

his record on jobs
1) How is that all Bush's fault?

2) Kerry had to come up with his own misery index to show how bad things are during Bush's term because the traditional misery index showed that things aren't that bad (Link), so I wouldn't trust anything he says about the economy. There also are more links to Kerry's lies on that site too.

energy prices
That's ironic coming from someone who wanted to increase gasoline taxes.

And so all they do is attack.
That's ironic considering how much they have been attacking Bush.

"Their own labor secretary talks about exporting jobs overseas," he said. "They can't talk about their record because it is a record of failure.
1) http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=225

2) What's so great about Kerry's record?
Finally, Lurch is once again referring to his "war record". If he thinks that most Americans view three and one half months of service spent medal-prospecting and filming himself as being a "committment to defend this country" then he has a truly cynical opinion of the intelligence level of the people who he thinks may vote for him.
Not to mention the stuff he said about Vietnam veterans even as they were still fighting, dying, and suffering in North Vietnamese POW camps. He also claimed that Communism wasn't much of a threat.

Oh god, this is the most annoying thing from the media... their quotes are really out of control.

The two uses of quotes:

Verbatim, like: "You media people are tools of the devil"
A fair report.

Implied doubt, like: You media people are "tools" of the "devil"
An editorial opinion.

But since these "reporters" are so desperate to editorialize and yet bound to fair standards of reporting, they mix it up with filler so they actually quote verbatim in parts to construe implied doubt:

People in the Media said to be "tools of the devil"

"Media" said to be devices of the "Devil"

Or sometimes make up their own words which must be quoted as impled doubt and then try to make it appear as a verbatim quote.

"People in the Media" compared to "Handmaidens of Satan"

:dev3:

CSM said:

The Dems remind me of the closing line from an episode in the original "Star Trek" TV series (entitled "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"). The episode revolved around two aliens from a world that was plagued with racial strife. One of the aliens was white on his left side, while the other was black on his left side. For that reason, the two aliens hated each other.

Well, to make a long story short, the episode ends with the two aliens returning to their world which had destroyed itself. Chekov turns to Captain Kirk and asks "Do you supposed those two never had anything but hatred for one another?". To which Kirk replies, "No, but that's all that they have left"

I think that line sums up the Democratic Party today...they have nothing to give but hatred. The party of Hate. Walk into a book store like Barnes & Noble, go to the section with books on politics and current event. Count the number of times you see the word "hate" in a book title. I'll wager it's about 3, 4 or more titles. Then, for each title with the word "hate", determine the political party that the author represents. I'll bet you a dollar they'll all be Democrats.

KarlMarx said:
The Dems remind me of the closing line from an episode in the original "Star Trek" TV series (entitled "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"). The episode revolved around two aliens from a world that was plagued with racial strife. One of the aliens was white on his left side, while the other was black on his left side. For that reason, the two aliens hated each other.

Well, to make a long story short, the episode ends with the two aliens returning to their world which had destroyed itself. Chekov turns to Captain Kirk and asks "Do you supposed those two never had anything but hatred for one another?". To which Kirk replies, "No, but that's all that they have left"

I think that line sums up the Democratic Party today...they have nothing to give but hatred. The party of Hate. Walk into a book store like Barnes & Noble, go to the section with books on politics and current event. Count the number of times you see the word "hate" in a book title. I'll wager it's about 3, 4 or more titles. Then, for each title with the word "hate", determine the political party that the author represents. I'll bet you a dollar they'll all be Democrats.

OMG, I remember that same episode.

I was always bothered about Roddenberry's vision in a way I couldn't ever reconcile. It was always trying to figure out how anything got done without money. Obvously you can replicate things, but the fun things like the holodeck and pleasure planets and skiming around the solar system in your own shuttle, eventually you have to work out a system of barter for those limited things... and yet its always there when you want it.

And when I found out Gene was a communist visionary it all clicked.

No religious service, free medical care, zero democracy, everyone content with their position and few jockeying for promotions. Secret records on everyone only a top few can access. And not to mention the lack of any press or debate.

And before he died he left us with the Ferengi's and their greedy pursuit of gold pressed latinum. Which isn't supposed to be replicated?

Gene tricked us!

Kathianne said:
Seems the media is using their infamous quote, ( ' ' ) marks on different types of information:

1 hour, 13 minutes ago

[,,,]

Kerry said the GOP convention was tinged by "anger" and "distortion."

[...]

I wonder what John Kerry calls the protesters outside of the convention in the streets of NY if not ANGRY and DISTORTED! :boohoo:

Forum List

Back