A serious question to Christians about the Mormon faith

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
Do you consider Mormons to be Christians? How do you define a Christian.

Im asking because, I recently talked with a friend of mine, who is Mormon about his faith and while he calls himself a Christian, he didnt fit MY personal definition of a Christian, which is someone who believes Christ is our lord and savior. I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

Please note, Im honestly curious and not looking for a flame fest of the Mormon faith.

Im asking because, I recently talked with a friend of mine, who is Mormon about his faith and while he calls himself a Christian, he didnt fit MY personal definition of a Christian, which is someone who believes Christ is our lord and savior. I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

Please note, Im honestly curious and not looking for a flame fest of the Mormon faith.

How did he explain it and what is your definition?

Ive always defined Christians as those that believe that Christ was God. I actually looked up the word Christian in the dictionary after speaking to my friend, which is anyone who follows the teaching of Christ.

Well, he explained that Mormons believe Christ was the son of God, not God. However he also said that they believe that we are all sons and daughters of God but that Christ was .... more evolved then the rest of us, and that we all strive to be as evolved as Christ (its VERY VERY hard, but not considered impossible to do).

Mormons fail to meet the basic tenant of Christianity. That Jesus and God are one and the same. In fact the Mormons are a little like muslims in recognizing Jesus as a prophet but not the grand cahuna.

True, the Mormons believe in the resurrection but there is no distinction there between the resurrection of Jesus and the resurrection that all (of the mormon faith) shall receive.

Both you and Jesus get your own planet.

Mormons fail to meet the basic tenant of Christianity. That Jesus and God are one and the same. In fact the Mormons are a little like muslims in recognizing Jesus as a prophet but not the grand cahuna.

True, the Mormons believe in the resurrection but there is no distinction there between the resurrection of Jesus and the resurrection that all (of the mormon faith) shall receive.

Both you and Jesus get your own planet.

You should stop speaking for God. It's a problem for a lot of Christians. They assume God agrees with them... arrogance.

Ive always defined Christians as those that believe that Christ was God. I actually looked up the word Christian in the dictionary after speaking to my friend, which is anyone who follows the teaching of Christ.

Well, he explained that Mormons believe Christ was the son of God, not God. However he also said that they believe that we are all sons and daughters of God but that Christ was .... more evolved then the rest of us, and that we all strive to be as evolved as Christ (its VERY VERY hard, but not considered impossible to do).

So he claims to follow the teachings of Christ, according to the definition, he is a Christian. Now, according to the teachings of Christ, very tough to find a real religion that follows Christ.

"...very tough to find a real religion that follows Christ."

Impossible to find a politician who does.

So he claims to follow the teachings of Christ, according to the definition, he is a Christian. Now, according to the teachings of Christ, very tough to find a real religion that follows Christ.

I would say ..its not so much "he claims" as more of a "all Mormons consider themselves Christian" although, tbh, he really didnt know anything about other Christian religions.

I was just, I guess surprised that the definition of Christian doesnt include believing Christ was God.

I would say ..its not so much "he claims" as more of a "all Mormons consider themselves Christian" although, tbh, he really didnt know anything about other Christian religions.

I was just, I guess surprised that the definition of Christian doesnt include believing Christ was God.

It's a tad more complex than that. But if you want to find a stick to beat up the Mormons because one of them is running against your messiah, have at it. I'd rather have Mitt the Mormon than Obama whose followers think he's god.

It's a tad more complex than that. But if you want to find a stick to beat up the Mormons because one of them is running against your messiah, have at it. I'd rather have Mitt the Mormon than Obama whose followers think he's god.

WTF are you talking about? I admit that I was curious about the Mormon faith when I started hearing preachers on TV denouncing Mitt as not being a Christian, but I am by no means "beating up Mormons". As my OP says, I have a friend who is Mormon, I dont in any way shape or form dislike Mormons.

Honestly, it sounds like you would like everyone to not ask questions because of Romney. Im just curious as to peoples opinions, if you would like to expand of "its more complex" or add anything of substance to the thread, Id love to read it.

WTF are you talking about? I admit that I was curious about the Mormon faith when I started hearing preachers on TV denouncing Mitt as not being a Christian, but I am by no means "beating up Mormons". As my OP says, I have a friend who is Mormon, I dont in any way shape or form dislike Mormons.

Honestly, it sounds like you would like everyone to not ask questions because of Romney. Im just curious as to peoples opinions, if you would like to expand of "its more complex" or add anything of substance to the thread, Id love to read it.

CG is just bitchy all the time.

Actually, I always thought a christian is anyone that follows the teachings of christ.

Christ is God, or just the Messiah and not god was more of a denominational issue.

I tend to assume that Jesus was just the messiah and not god since the Jewish definition describes god as the creator of the universe--Jesus could not have created the universe since he was born after its creation.

Of course, some will use the book of John to argue with this statement, claiming that Jesus was here even when Moses led his people out of Egypt. Such individuals should understand how that statement by Jesus relates back to the cruxificion and Leviticus.

You should be careful about letting anyone tell you what a religion believes or is.

To find out about mormonism, wait for Avatar or Truthspeaker to tell you.

Come to think about it, There is a whole thread about what Mormon believes on this board. I forgot the title, so I guess you have to check for Truthspeakers posts to find it.

You should be careful about letting anyone tell you what a religion believes or is.

Come to think about it, There is a whole thread about what Mormon believes on this board. I forgot the title, so I guess you have to check for Truthspeakers posts to find it.

I am a bit clueless when it comes to Mormonism. I know that he told me what he believes and what his church teaches, but I'm not sure if it varies at all from church to church, which I know from expierence can happen with catholic churches.

CG is just bitchy all the time.

Pot, meet kettle.

I am a bit clueless when it comes to Mormonism. I know that he told me what he believes and what his church teaches, but I'm not sure if it varies at all from church to church, which I know from expierence can happen with catholic churches.

Mormonism is usually consistent from temple to temple. They are usually very devoted, there are some that aren't so nice.

You have a friend who's a Mormon... so ask him. Why ask a bunch of strangers? Mormons call themselves Christians... other than that, it's God's business. It's not for any non Mormon to decide whether they 'qualify'. Simple.

Forum List

Back