A serious question about Jewish history

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Indofred, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Again.
    This thread is nothing to do with the last 100 years or daft name calling.
    I want to understand a little of history.
    This thread is about understanding - not hate.

2. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to have been at least part of some of the events I've looked at but by no means a major factor (up to now).
    It'll be interesting to see how (if) those stereotypes develop as cause of events as I wander through history.

3. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd also like to thank the mod team for keeping this thread open.
    I know you guys had reservations and I know it's been a bit of a pain for you.

Thank you.

4. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sir, I would love your input and opinions as to my conclusions.
    I have no history degree and can't even claim to be an interested amateur, just some dude out to sort out what happened.
    I welcome your input.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,630

Oh I don't think it was taught IN SCHOOLS, Paul.

But that myth was commonly thought to be the case by most people most of my lifetime.

There was a time, and I suspect for a lot of people that time hasn't yet passed, when the Exodus story also included the myth that the Egyptians kept the Jews in slavery (not true) and that as slaves it was the Jews who built the pyramids.

The idea that slaves (be they Jews or Egyptians) were the laborers who built the pyramids was pretty much accepted theory UNTIL acheologists found more and more evidence to refute that theory.

History, much like physical sciences, corrects itself as more information comes to light.

This gradual death of this cherished myth is a fairly good example of that.

6. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Severely Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The official persecutions of the Jews began only in 1856, when Roumania adopted the representative system and the power thus fell into the hands of the bourgeois class. Thenceforth restrictive measures grew more serious. The Jews could not obtain any rank, they were deprived of the right of permanent domicile in country places, they were forbidden to hold real estateexcept in citiesor lands, or vineyards. They were prohibited to take estates on lease, to keep hotels and taverns outside of cities, to retail spirits, to have Christian domestics, to build new synagogues. What were, what are still the causes of this special legislation, and of this animosity of the Roumanians towards the Jews? They are not exclusively religious, and despite the persistence of ancestral prejudices, it is not a case of a confessional war. The Roumanian Jews constituted, especially at the moment of the formation of Roumania, agglomerations completely isolated from the bulk of the population in the Moldau-Valachian lands. They wore a special garb, lived in quarters set apart in order to escape contaminations, and spoke a Judaeo-German jargon, which rounded off their marks of distinction. They lived under the domination of their rabbis, narrow-minded, limited, ignorant Talmudists, from whom they received in Jewish schoolshederan education which was conducive to their intellectual abasement and their degradation. They were the victims of this isolation which was due to their guides, the rabbinists. The patriotic passions were particularly aroused in this land, which was being born, was acquiring a[103] nationality and striving for unity. There has been a pan-Roumanism, just like pan-Germanism or pan-Slavism. There were discussions on the Roumanian race, on its integrity, its purity, the danger threatening it from adulteration. Associations were formed to counteract foreign encroachment, and Jewish encroachment in particular.

Internet History Sourcebooks Project

7. ima

ima BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Just a question: how can you have a serious debate when posts keep getting deleted?

8. richstacy

richstacy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Of course countless acts of hatred toward Jews had gone on for many centuries before your "official persecution" began in 1856.

http://antisemitism.org.il/article/77447/blood-libel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_anti-Semitism

9. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,743
    Ima, this is the Clean Debate Zone. If anyone is confused, read up on the rules and consider responses carefully. This is the most moderated zone, there are other less moderated areas for uncivil serious debate.

Baiting with no relevant content, name calling, inflammatory responses belong elsewhere.

10. ima

ima BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Ok, didn't know that the debate here is supposed to be edited, anyways, I was just responding to someone else's post that also got erased. Thanks.