A Scientist Visits Kentucky's Creation Museum

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
It shows him briefly walking through some of the exhibits and interviewing one of the Museum's "scientists."

The "scientist" in the video says when he finds contradictory evidence to his beliefs he assumes that the evidence is incorrect. Is that science? Is this place bad for proponents of creationism and intelligent design? Should children be exposed to a place run by people who want to teach them that it's not only okay, but that it is important to ignore evidence?

teapartysamurai

How do you create something out of nothing?

Magic?

magic_d20__s__animated__gif__by_jonnyshadow13-d58iy15.gif

Last edited:
I took a walk through it when it first opened. I must confess, I had a real hard time keeping from laughing out loud. A reeeeal hard time!

A Scientist Visits Kentucky's Creation Museum
then dies from hysterical laughter.

I took a walk through it when it first opened. I must confess, I had a real hard time keeping from laughing out loud. A reeeeal hard time!

It's one thing to believe God created everything, but an entirely other thing to believe he did it 6,000 years ago and people hung out with dinosaurs.

Yup. I have loads of friends who are solid scientists who also happen to be religious (Catholic mostly) and their response when confronted with how old the Earth is I find quite refreshing "how long is one of Gods days?" They agree that the Bishop Ushers timeline is ridiculous and have no problem with evolution or the age of the Earth. Some of them believe, like me, that the universe is older than cosmologists currently think. We have had many a good evening discussing the creation of the universe over a good port and chocolates!

How?

You tell me. You're the rabbi.

Well I could assume a magic mythical being did it... or I could try to find an answer. What should I do?

A rabbi atheist. Oh mummah...

It's amongst a younger generation of cosmologists, string theorists and bubble universe theorists and the like, where problems with something out of nothing theories are proving most vexing.

How?
That is what science believes. The only way that can happen is God creating something from nothing.

Yes, and it doesn't matter how far back in the scheme of things we go, whether it's a single universal contraction/expansion generation of perhaps 70 billion years, or if it's a trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion times 70 billion years, at some seminal point something came into being...out of nothing. God is the only feasible explanation for many people. For others it's just a mystery not yet understood. Science will close in on an answer at another seminal point I'm sure. The Jame Webb Space Telescope should help us well down the path...if a president with almost no understanding of science ever lets it get off the ground.

HubbleSite - The James Webb Space Telescope

And here's a link explaining an interesting fluke of celestial mechanics called the Lagrange Points. The James Webb Space Telescope will be parked one million miles beyond the earth at the fixed spot called Lagrange Two.

NASA - L2 Will be the James Webb Space Telescope s Home in Space

I asked that of my Sunday school teacher. The perennial "Where did god come from " conundrum. Do we need a God if the whole thing just always existed ? Because it's ether/or. God or the Universe, I take it that matter and the universe never needed a creator...because it just "always" existed. Period. End of story.

I'm pretty sure that God was wearing a black tuxedo at the time, and was assisted by his beautiful, scantily clad assistant. He started up by pulling doves out of a tall silk hat, and then worked his way up to the finale...
I asked that of my Sunday school teacher. The perennial "Where did god come from " conundrum. Do we need a God if the whole thing just always existed ? Because it's ether/or. God or the Universe, I take it that matter and the universe never needed a creator...because it just "always" existed. Period. End of story.

"Period. End of story." So the science is in, end of story. Interesting. You sound like a billion warmies out there. Most cosmology is closer to theology than it is to empirical science, because none of it will ever be proved. It will forever be mysterious, theoretical...maybe.

We humans have a tough time with scale. We tend to think of everything in terms of a single human lifetime. Like the guy who ran the US Patent Office in Washington in the late 1800's, who wanted to shut the institution down on account of everything had already been invented. Because cosmological big questions seem unsolvable today, because there exist roadblocks that seem insurmountable, that doesn't mean they'll remain insurmountable forever.

Who knows, we may stumble onto a mathematical model a thousand years from now that will prove or disprove forever, the existence of something bigger than ourselves pulling the strings...and just how it was that something came of nothing. But in order to accept things like string theory and bubble universes, prevailing theories in cosmology along with the Big Bang, we have to accept that we live in a 10 dimension universe and not a 4 dimension universe. The fascination of cosmology to me, is its utter strangeness, and it's malleability. Science isn't static. It's constantly in a state of flux. It evolves. Science is rarely ever a closed case. And it's rarely ever "in".

It shows him briefly walking through some of the exhibits and interviewing one of the Museum's "scientists."

The "scientist" in the video says when he finds contradictory evidence to his beliefs he assumes that the evidence is incorrect. Is that science? Is this place bad for proponents of creationism and intelligent design? Should children be exposed to a place run by people who want to teach them that it's not only okay, but that it is important to ignore evidence?

teapartysamurai

Of course it's not 'science,' 'creationism' is religion – having nothing to do with science, evidence, or facts.

And theists are at liberty to believe in their 'creationism' myth, along with other myths and legends that make up religion.

Forum List

Back