A Scary Number Of Americans Don’t Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights

The 'conservative movement' manifests as the greatest threat to Americans’ rights and protected liberties.

With regard to the rights enshrined in the First Amendment, most conservatives seek to enact laws to disadvantage Muslims and those free from faith, and to populate the courts – including the Supreme Court – with reactionary bigots hostile to settled, accepted First Amendment jurisprudence, to conjoin church and state in violation of the Framers’ mandate, and replace our Republic with a theocracy of hate and oppression.

“Nearly a quarter of Americans ― 22 percent ― either don’t know or don’t believe that U.S. Muslims are granted the same constitutional protections as other citizens. Roughly 20 percent don’t know or don’t think that atheists are protected under the First Amendment.”

This is the same ignorance, hate, and stupidity that put the likes of Trump in the WH.

Seriously? Ignorance and hate nearly got Hillary elected.

59c0197b1c0000240079f102.jpeg

I agree! However, even many who may think that Muslims or Atheists actually do have First Amendment rights - they would like to deny them those rights.
There are overwhelmingly more liberals trying to deny Americans their constitutional rights than any other group...

You're wrong.

Read this board.
Listen to pino trump.
Listen to Repub congress.

For a very recent example, look at what trump and the trumpkins are saying about the NBA players "taking a knee".

Listening to the president of the United States threaten our constitutional rights has become the new normal.

I made a list of some of trump's anti-constitution statements in a thread in the CDZ. Look for 'Do you agree with trump' and notice how few RWNJs disagree.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

A Scary Number Of Americans think the Pope and such as GWBush told the truth when they declared Islam to be a religion of peace.

You can't equate one nutter running people over vs. organized attempts to suppress speech. Plus the lone nutter is getting prosecuted for murder.

And are you saying said rape was part a systematic effort to stop Abortion?

Numerous peaceful left protests have been hijacked by outside agitators, such as ANTIFA thugs and even right wing thugs. You seem to think there is widespread left wing support for the actions of ANTIFA. I doubt there is.

It seems that when left extremists go nuts they destroy property. When rightwing extremists go nuts they kill people.

I have no issue with peaceful protests, it's an American right. I absolutely oppose the deliberate acts of violence that ANTIFA engages in.

But by pointing out "ah ah ah!!! look at what this one guy did!!!" when it had nothing to do with any organization at all you are at a minimum trying to explain away some of the violence on the left i,e, "well we only break things and occasionally people, but we DON'T kill them!"

Anti-fa is large groups of people doing violence that they believe is merely part of the political process. They are far more dangerous than lone wolf types.
And you refuse to acknowledge the violence from the right.

ANTIFA is is not just large groups of people. It's a specific group with an anarchistic seeming ideology.

At this point they haven't killed anyone, and thus far that doesn't seem to be in their playbook.

At this point in time the "lone wolves" have accounted for far more loss of life. That's a bit more valuable then property.

I'm more afraid of people who attempt to make their voices heard without though to lives lost.

I'm not defending ANTIFA, but at this point I don't think they are that much to be afraid of. With BLM I saw a concerted effort by the right to portray them as a terrorist group. Demonizing. I think you are making ANTIFA into something bigger then it is.

The violence from the right is handled the proper way, by arresting the assholes, convicting them, and then sending them away for a long time or shoving a needle in their arm

It is an organized group with the express purpose of squashing dissent against their views with violence.

The only reason they haven't killed anyone is more due to luck than anything else.
I don't think killing people is their aim - disruption and chaos and violence. When your goal becomes killing people in order to make your point it is a whole different ballpark for law enforcement.

They should be treated like any other group that attempts to instigate violence imo.

The problem is that in places like Berkeley they have sympathy from some of the politicians in power.

I agree! However, even many who may think that Muslims or Atheists actually do have First Amendment rights - they would like to deny them those rights.
There are overwhelmingly more liberals trying to deny Americans their constitutional rights than any other group...

You're wrong.

Read this board.
Listen to pino trump.
Listen to Repub congress.

For a very recent example, look at what trump and the trumpkins are saying about the NBA players "taking a knee".

Listening to the president of the United States threaten our constitutional rights has become the new normal.

I made a list of some of trump's anti-constitution statements in a thread in the CDZ. Look for 'Do you agree with trump' and notice how few RWNJs disagree.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Again, your links don’t work.

Numerous peaceful left protests have been hijacked by outside agitators, such as ANTIFA thugs and even right wing thugs. You seem to think there is widespread left wing support for the actions of ANTIFA. I doubt there is.

It seems that when left extremists go nuts they destroy property. When rightwing extremists go nuts they kill people.

I have no issue with peaceful protests, it's an American right. I absolutely oppose the deliberate acts of violence that ANTIFA engages in.

But by pointing out "ah ah ah!!! look at what this one guy did!!!" when it had nothing to do with any organization at all you are at a minimum trying to explain away some of the violence on the left i,e, "well we only break things and occasionally people, but we DON'T kill them!"

Anti-fa is large groups of people doing violence that they believe is merely part of the political process. They are far more dangerous than lone wolf types.

ANTIFA is is not just large groups of people. It's a specific group with an anarchistic seeming ideology.

At this point they haven't killed anyone, and thus far that doesn't seem to be in their playbook.

At this point in time the "lone wolves" have accounted for far more loss of life. That's a bit more valuable then property.

I'm more afraid of people who attempt to make their voices heard without though to lives lost.

I'm not defending ANTIFA, but at this point I don't think they are that much to be afraid of. With BLM I saw a concerted effort by the right to portray them as a terrorist group. Demonizing. I think you are making ANTIFA into something bigger then it is.

The violence from the right is handled the proper way, by arresting the assholes, convicting them, and then sending them away for a long time or shoving a needle in their arm

It is an organized group with the express purpose of squashing dissent against their views with violence.

The only reason they haven't killed anyone is more due to luck than anything else.
I don't think killing people is their aim - disruption and chaos and violence. When your goal becomes killing people in order to make your point it is a whole different ballpark for law enforcement.

They should be treated like any other group that attempts to instigate violence imo.

The problem is that in places like Berkeley they have sympathy from some of the politicians in power.
That may well be, and in that tegatd it is similar to the relationship between the right and white supremacists. Not mainstream support.

That may well be, and in that tegatd it is similar to the relationship between the right and white supremacists. Not mainstream support.

Actually the left is far more cozy with it's radicals than the right it. You wouldn't catch me dead at a freaking Klan/WP rally. I just support their right to be jackasses and march.

Anti-fa however even if not invited to leftist rallies is always there.

Yes, the U.S. Constitution guarantees First Amendment protections for Muslims, atheists and all religious groups.

Let’s get the facts straight.

Nearly a quarter of Americans ― 22 percent ― either don’t know or don’t believe that U.S. Muslims are granted the same constitutional protections as other citizens. Roughly 20 percent don’t know or don’t think that atheists are protected under the First Amendment.

These are among the findings of a new study by the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg Public Policy Center, released ahead of the Sept. 17 Constitution Day, which celebrates the anniversary of the U.S. Constitution’s signing in 1787.

The survey asked respondents whether they thought it was accurate to say that U.S. citizens who are Muslims have the same rights as all other citizens. Seventy-six percent of those surveyed said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, while 18 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Four percent said they didn’t know.

On the same question about U.S. atheists, 79 percent said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, and 15 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Five percent said they didn’t know.

The annual Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey polled 1,013 U.S. adults about the government, the First Amendment and constitutional protections. This year marked the first time the survey included the questions about Muslims and atheists. The survey didn’t ask respondents about their knowledge of protections granted to Christians or other religious groups.

But it isn’t just the constitutional rights of Muslims and atheists that Americans are unclear on. Many Americans are highly misinformed about basic constitutional provisions, including what the First Amendment protects and even how the U.S. government is organized.

Fifty-three percent of Americans incorrectly think that undocumented immigrants aren’t afforded rights under the U.S. Constitution. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled on that issue in the 1886 decision, Yick Wo v. Hopkins, declaring that noncitizens were included in the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause.

Just 26 percent of Americans can name all three branches of government ― down considerably from 38 percent in 2011, when APPC first included this question on the survey.

Thirty-seven percent of respondents were unable to name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment. Just under half of those surveyed named freedom of speech as a right guaranteed by the First Amendment.

But far fewer could name the other First Amendment rights. Fifteen percent of respondents named freedom of religion; 14 percent identified freedom of the press; 10 percent named the right of assembly; and just three percent said the right to petition the government.

The First Amendment states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

More: A Scary Number Of Americans Don't Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights

Couple that with the number of Americans that don't believe Christians have First Amendment Rights.

"A Scary Number Of Americans Don’t Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights"

Not to hijack the thread, but thanks to our government-run public education system designed to keep Americans stupid (easier to rule):

SURVEY: Just Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Gov't...
-- Survey: Just A Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Government

You really expect Americans to know / understand Muslim religion / Atheist non-religion and their rights when they don't even know their own 3 Branches of government?

Actually the left is far more cozy with it's radicals than the right it. You wouldn't catch me dead at a freaking Klan/WP rally. I just support their right to be jackasses and march.

I think that is a matter of personal perspective. Rallies have a difficult time excluding groups since they are public events so agitatirs and wingnuts can join in. Remember how Tea Party rallies and Trump rallies often attracted an alt right/neonazi/white supremacist presence?

Its no different then the left and frankly a number of demonstraters have gotten quite angry whrn antifa has come in and turned a peaceful event into a violent one.

Like you, you wont catch me in onr but i support their right to PEACEFULLY demonstrate.

I think that is a matter of personal perspective. Rallies have a difficult time excluding groups since they are public events so agitatirs and wingnuts can join in. Remember how Tea Party rallies and Trump rallies often attracted an alt right/neonazi/white supremacist presence?

Its no different then the left and frankly a number of demonstraters have gotten quite angry whrn antifa has come in and turned a peaceful event into a violent one.

Like you, you wont catch me in onr but i support their right to PEACEFULLY demonstrate.

The thing is those fringes at the right leaning rallies didn't start breaking windows and going after cops. That behavior on the left goes back to the WTO protest waves and the Occupy stuff.

"A Scary Number Of Americans Don’t Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights"

Not to hijack the thread, but thanks to our government-run public education system designed to keep Americans stupid (easier to rule):

SURVEY: Just Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Gov't...
-- Survey: Just A Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Government

You really expect Americans to know / understand Muslim religion / Atheist non-religion and their rights when they don't even know their own 3 Branches of government?

Easy to understand Islam. Islam SOP. Kill the men and enslave the women and children. Repeat.

The thing is those fringes at the right leaning rallies didn't start breaking windows and going after cops. That behavior on the left goes back to the WTO protest waves and the Occupy stuff.

Come on give it up you have to keep adjusting the goal posts here and its not working well. If we go back in time we will also find that while the left radicals score points in property damage the rightwing radicals excel at deathrates. Those are tge fringes. Are you going to continue trying to define the left by its fringe and the right by its mainstream?

Forum List

Back