a sad story and hints to survive

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
TWIN FALLS, Idaho - The father of an 11-year-old girl who died, likely of hypothermia, after trying to walk 10 miles in the snow on Christmas Day has been charged with second-degree murder and felony injury to a child.

Robert Aragon, 55, of Jerome, made an initial appearance Monday in 5th District Court, where Judge Mark Ingram appointed a public defender for him. The judge denied Aragon's request to lower his $500,000 bond. He was being held in the Blaine County Jail.

Aragon was emotional during the short hearing. He banged his head on the defendant's table as Ingram read the charges against him, The Times-News reported. After Ingram noted that second-degree murder carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, Aragon said "Oh my God" as he banged his head on the table one final time.

Sage Aragon and her 12-year-old brother, Bear, were with their father on Thursday when his truck got stuck in a snow drift on a highway north of Shoshone in southcentral Idaho, according to the Lincoln County sheriff's office.

The children live with Aragon in Jerome and he was taking them to visit their mother, JoLeta Jenks, in West Magic.

After the truck got caught in the snow, authorities allege Aragon let the children out to walk to their mother's house while he and another adult stayed behind to free the vehicle.

Jenks said she called Aragon because she was concerned after no one arrived at her home on Thursday. Aragon had driven back to Jerome after letting the kids out to walk to her house, Jenks said.

"They didn't even call me, telling me they were walking," she told the Times-News.

Jenks called the police and a Blaine County search and rescue team found the boy at a rest area near the highway shortly before 10 p.m. on Thursday night.

Adults in the search effort described the snow as knee-deep for them.

The boy was found wearing only long underwear, Blaine County Sheriff Walt Femling said in a news release. Apparently delusional from hypothermia, the child had discarded his jacket, pants and shoes, the sheriff's office said. He was treated and released at a nearby hospital.

The rest area was about 4.5 miles from where the children started walking.

At some point the children separated and their mother said her son told her they disagreed about whether to keep going or turn back.

"(Bear) kept on telling her: 'Let's go, Sage, let's go, Sage,'" Jenks said, recalling what her son told her. "She said, 'No, I'm going back.'"

Pajama pants
The little girl was found about 2.7 miles from where the two set out, barely visible under windblown, drifting snow when search dogs located her along a local road about 2 a.m. Friday. She was wearing a brown down coat, black shirt, pink pajama pants and tan snowboots, the sheriff's office statement said.

"I thought she was alive because they said they found her," Jenks said. "I was excited."

The girl was pronounced dead at a Ketchum hospital; preliminary autopsy results indicate she died of hypothermia.

Officials say temperatures in the area at the time the girl was missing ranged from 27 degrees above zero to minus 5 Fahrenheit (minus 20 to minus 3 Celsius).

Jenks and Aragon are not married. While she said she doesn't understand the decision Aragon is accused of making in letting the children walk to her house, Jenks added, "I don't need to sit and yell. I know he's going through hell right now"

Dad charged after girl, 11, dies walking in snow - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

anyone who lives in the cold areas knows how dangerous cold can be...

Hypothermia Facts

If you are outdoors enjoying your favorite sport, you presumably do not intend to jeopardize your life. Hypothermia may be a new word to you, but it is the only word that describes the rapid, progressive mental and physical collapse accompanying the chilling of the inner core of the human body. Hypothermia is caused by exposure to cold, aggravated by wet, wind, and exhaustion. It is the number one killer of outdoor recreationalists

this is a very long article on safety in the cold....read it ..you just never know what my save your life

Hypothermia

one major fact: NEVER leave the car...the chances of you being found with your car are much greater than you being found after you leave the car on foot.

KK: Do you really feel it necessary to jump into every thread about dead kids and post something about the "rightness" of their dying?

It doesn't matter if it's accidental or intentional, your response is always the same..."this is what happens when there are too many kids"

You are a complete and disgusting puke. Pederastate has absolutely nothing on you. At least he isn't campaigning for the death of children.

Kids cannot survive in snow. They never have been able to.

Kids can survive in winter IF they are properly dressed and have a responsible person looking out for them.

I started taking my son winter camping when he was 9 or 10 and he never once was even close to being hypothermic.

Missing here was the responsible adult. you know that if they were going to visit mom that they weren't dressed for the weather.

Long sad story short, this asshole should be charged neglect and at least manslaughter.

Last edited:
Kids can survive in winter IF they are properly dressed and have a responsible person looking out for them.

I started taking my son winter camping when he was 9 or 10 and he never once was even close to being hypothermic.

Missing here was the responsible adult. you know that if they were going to visit mom that they weren't dressed for the weather.

Long sad story short, this asshole should be charged neglect and at least manslaughter.

At the age of 7, I almost died in a blizzard and would have if not for the 5th grade teacher that was walking us home. She saved my live and that of my sister. Kid's don't know anything about survival, they're kids. All I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep.

The man is lucky it wasn't my kids, I'd have ripped him apart piece by piece.

I didn't say they couldn't survive in the winter. I said they couldn't survive in the snow, and I meant exactly what you just said...they can't survive in the snow without proper gear.

It has nothing to do with the "weakness" of the species, as KK stated, as in we're overpopulated and therefore weaker. Compare our size and our strength, our birth rate and infant mortality rate to what it was in the past.

She just uses any thread about kids dying to support her sick contention that they shouldn't be born in the first place and have no value.

Last edited:
At the age of 7, I almost died in a blizzard and would have if not for the 5th grade teacher that was walking us home. She saved my live and that of my sister. Kid's don't know anything about survival, they're kids. All I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep.

The man is lucky it wasn't my kids, I'd have ripped him apart piece by piece.

My mother (a nurse) picked up my 7-y.o. son from the bus one day..after he'd ridden the bus home (about 15 minutes) and his lips were blue, his hands cold and he couldn't talk.

This was AFTER he had warmed up. The idiot playground monitor said it was "his own fault" because she had told the kids to quit playing in the snow banks under the school eaves.

Bullshit. As I told the superintendent, if my 7 y.o. dies of hypothermia at the school, is that bitch going to say "it's his own fault"?

You can't send kids out on long hikes in waist deep snow by themselves. They will not survive, and it doesn't take long.

Take it from someone who has been in the snow a LOT.

He deserves to go to jail. WTF was he thinking? My guess is he was intoxicated.

And anyone who sends their kids off into the snow is not likely to be unduly bothered by the death of one...

By keeping the kids too safe their bodies are not as capable of handling the same natural hardships they should. Then when they become adults common colds will start dropping them like flies, only it will take longer. This is the perfect example of what the ignorant parents these days are doing. If a living body never gets hurt then it will never get stronger, that's nature, that's biology, that's science. Funny thing, the strongest people are those who don't even like science at all, but then it's because they aren't sitting in doors protected from all the little nasties (still a higher chance of getting hit by lightning indoors than getting hurt from anything else).

And what's with calling me a liberal? I was just assuming you were too stupid to know I wasn't one, but now I think you're baiting me somehow. Is it an insult? Lol.

Freak.

Forum List

Back