A Romney/Biden Presidency?

Unlikely,but if it should work out that we have a Romney/Biden Presidency. . . .

• That could be a good thing.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • That would be very bad.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • That would end the republic as we know it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
He is an interesting alternative though. What happens if Romney wins this way and then the Senate appoints Obama as VP?

Assuming that the solidly red states will stay red and the solidly blue states will stay blue, and focusing on the toss up battleground states:

It is conceivable that if the vote goes a certain way, Romney and Obama could tie with 269 electoral college votes each.

If that should happen, the House will choose the President. The Senate will choose the Vice President.

We could see a Romney/Biden Presidency.

I believe it would be in the Dems best Political Interests to go ahead an appoint Ryan if Romney/Ryan win the Popular vote. About the only way I could see them going ahead and making Biden VP would be if the Senate was tied at 50 50 after the Election. Having the Tie Breaking Vote of the VP might make it worth the Political fall out of going against the Popular vote and Installing Biden as a VP who would then have no power other than his tie breaking vote in the Senate.

If we had a 269-269 deadlocxk and a gop house and a dem senate...

Obama would write an Executive Order changing the rules.

Mark my words.

He is an interesting alternative though. What happens if Romney wins this way and then the Senate appoints Obama as VP?

My understanding is that only VP candidates would be eligible.

From the 12th Amendment:

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Decker is a good guy. Not American--not sure what country claims him--and he is certainly well left of center as Americas define that. So disagree with him if you must--I certainly mostly do--but he has not once been angry, hateful, disrespectful, or unpleasant. A lot of us Americans could take lessons.

Decker is a good guy. Not American--not sure what country claims him--and he is certainly well left of center as Americas define that. So disagree with him if you must--I certainly mostly do--but he has not once been angry, hateful, disrespectful, or unpleasant. A lot of us Americans could take lessons.

I agree. He may not have a command of the English language, but he shows more repsect for others than most on this site.

My understanding is that only VP candidates would be eligible.

From the 12th Amendment:

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

A further commentary:

What happens if no presidential candidate gets 270 Electoral votes?

If no candidate receives a majority of Electoral votes, the House of Representatives elects the President from the 3 Presidential candidates who received the most Electoral votes. Each state delegation has one vote. The Senate would elect the Vice President from the 2 Vice Presidential candidates with the most Electoral votes. Each Senator would cast one vote for Vice President. If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House.
U. S. Electoral College: Frequently Asked Questions

He's a Brit.

This video shows some additional flies that could in the ointment in event the electoral college fails to choose the President/Vice President. It speaks to, but does not address the emotional impact of the chosen President receiving substantially less than the popular vote and how difficult that might make it for him to govern effectively in our bitterly partisan society.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video shows some additional flies that could in the ointment in event the electoral college fails to choose the President/Vice President. It speaks to, but does not address the emotional impact of the chosen President receiving substantially less than the popular vote and how difficult that might make it for him to govern effectively in our bitterly partisan society.

What If the Presidential Election is a Tie? - YouTube

Conservatives will most likely accept whoever is Constitutionally chosen to be President. I don't see Progressives being so magnanimous.

the 2000 elections come to mind.

I agree. He may not have a command of the English language, but he shows more repsect for others than most on this site.

He does that.

Forum List

Back