A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

I always relay my personal experience... yes, I wanted to go to Tulane... Tulane was $20k at the time, so that was out.. the University of New Orleans was my next choice.... I couldn't afford full-time, so, I worked fulltime and went to school part-time, evenings and days when I could. Yeah, it took me 6 years.. but I did it.

It can be done.

Not anymore.

Bullshit... it can be done... you just want the easy way out.

Good luck with that you childish brat.

The average minimum-wage paying job only pays around $15,000 a year, fool.
And? Most min wage earners are teens and retirees working for small business and working part time. And they make up less than 1% of all wage earners.
Non factor.
Your inability to stay on point indicates your argument has run out of gas....Stand down

That is wrong.

The overwhelming majority of low-wage earners who would receive a raise by restoring the minimum wage to its historic value are adults who spend their careers in frontline low-wage industries that make our economy run. Fast-growing low-wage jobs like home care are disproportionately held by female and older workers.

Contrary to stereotypes and the repeated claims of minimum wage opponents, the overwhelming majority of low-wage workers are adults, not teens, and they contribute a substantial portion of their households’ incomes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, three quarters of minimum wage earners are 20 or older.

According to the Economic Policy Institute’s State of Working America, a stunning 35 million Americans – 26 percent of our workforce – earn less than $10.55 an hour.
That means 75% of workers earn above $10.55 per hour.
Once again, you people think money grows on trees. The fact is of the min wage earners are kids and seniors.
And make up less than 1% of the workforce.
Your injection of min wage into this is a merely thread derailment.....Shut it.
None of it is untrue....
BTW, you were referring to min wage. You conveniently injected those making up to over $10 per hour.
What does any of this have to do with college tuition?

Now, since you're resorting to personal attacks, it's obvious that you have lost the argument. :D

Then stop behaving like an insolent child... we've pointed out that it can be done, maybe not always the way you want, but it can be done. You don't want to hear that you may have to sacrifice some things to get it done. That isn't in your playbook.. it's your way or no way. Stop acting like such a baby.

Not in today's day and age it can't. Minimum wage jobs are not keeping up with COL. Not even CLOSE, and tuition costs have exploded exponentially in comparison to everything else. Like I said, you people are old and out of touch with the realities of today's world.

What? We're old and out of touch? It is you that is out of touch... frankly, I'm pretty successful... and I did it all on my own. No grants, no freebies.

Like I said, you are in for a rough life with the shitty attitude that unfortunately, someone has instilled in you. I hope you grow out of it.

That's because you grew up in a different era obviously. Things have changed since the 1950s. Everything is more expensive and more complicated.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that... what a copout.

Face it, just throw in the towel.. you haven't got what I takes to go very far in life apparently.

I've already completed my college education, thank you.

So . . . tell me smarty pants . . . when the average minimum wage full time job only pays $15,000 per year, how are you going to manage that AND attend college? Explain please.
I don't think your positions are mutually exclusive, and I thought your WSJ link was not only interesting but presented differing views. The answer to your question is that a young adult has to live at home and attend community college. Then save, and borrow, and reduce debt with teach for America or something. When I got my undergrad education back in the mid 70s, it was a very different picture, but even then I couldn't have done it without my parents paying the lion's share.

Not anymore.

Bullshit... it can be done... you just want the easy way out.

Good luck with that you childish brat.

The average minimum-wage paying job only pays around $15,000 a year, fool.
And? Most min wage earners are teens and retirees working for small business and working part time. And they make up less than 1% of all wage earners.
Non factor.
Your inability to stay on point indicates your argument has run out of gas....Stand down

That is wrong.

The overwhelming majority of low-wage earners who would receive a raise by restoring the minimum wage to its historic value are adults who spend their careers in frontline low-wage industries that make our economy run. Fast-growing low-wage jobs like home care are disproportionately held by female and older workers.

Contrary to stereotypes and the repeated claims of minimum wage opponents, the overwhelming majority of low-wage workers are adults, not teens, and they contribute a substantial portion of their households’ incomes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, three quarters of minimum wage earners are 20 or older.

According to the Economic Policy Institute’s State of Working America, a stunning 35 million Americans – 26 percent of our workforce – earn less than $10.55 an hour.
That means 75% of workers earn above $10.55 per hour.
Once again, you people think money grows on trees. The fact is of the min wage earners are kids and seniors.
And make up less than 1% of the workforce.
Your injection of min wage into this is a merely thread derailment.....Shut it.
None of it is untrue....
BTW, you were referring to min wage. You conveniently injected those making up to over $10 per hour.
What does any of this have to do with college tuition?

That is just not true. Many people are suffering, and you cannot get a good paying job without a college education nowadays. A kid who is trying to go to college and takes a job to pay for it is not going to make much more than minimum wage, and more than likely will ONLY make minimum wage.

In fact, a lot of jobs out there are only offering part time work and many are only temporary jobs. You see, poor people do not have a lot of options to better themselves.

He doesn't know what he is saying... but I do... he is saying "it's the easy way or no way".

How childish.

That's she, and you are wrong. READ the links please.

Why Is Tuition So High Three Economists Debate - WSJ

DR. FICHTENBAUM: One of the most important factors driving price at public colleges and universities has been the decline in state support for higher education. Between 1987 and 2012, in real dollars, government support has declined from $8,497 to $5,906 per student.

ENLARGE
--
The second major culprit is rising costs. Critics of higher education often blame faculty salaries for rising costs. However, when measured in constant dollars, salaries for full-time faculty at public institutions have actually declined. What is driving costs is the metastasizing army of administrators with bloated salaries, and our university presidents who are now paid as though they were CEOs running a business—and not a very successful one at that.

There is also the growth in entertainment spending and spending on amenities. Many universities claim that they must compete and therefore have borrowed millions to build luxury dorms, new dining halls and rock-climbing walls. They also spend millions subsidizing intercollegiate athletics.

Whatever... you're not listening. Like I said, I had to forgo the "college experience" and be a commuter, part-time student in order to get my education. I couldn't afford to go off to college, live in a dorm, etc.

But, I got my education... which was the goal.

It can, and is being done all over this country. You're being childish and close-minded.
wow. I really though he may have been an adult.

However, I can not recall an adult EVER using the term "good grades" while discussing requirements for college. GPA and community involvement....never "good grades"...unless they are telling a child "get good grades and you can become anything you want".

Wow.

He must be one of the "participation trophy" kids Adam Carolla warned about...

:lol:

That's "SHE." Obviously you could use a better education and a class in reading comprehension. Unless of course, you are calling me a "he" to try to insult me because you have no argument and no statistics or links to back up any of your assertions . . . :D Typical of the loons around here.
Unless a poster informs the board members of details on their identity, each of us anonymous.
So spare us your faux outrage.

So . . . tell me smarty pants . . . when the average minimum wage full time job only pays $15,000 per year, how are you going to manage that AND attend college? Explain please.
I don't think your positions are mutually exclusive, and I thought your WSJ link was not only interesting but presented differing views. The answer to your question is that a young adult has to live at home and attend community college. Then save, and borrow, and reduce debt with teach for America or something. When I got my undergrad education back in the mid 70s, it was a very different picture, but even then I couldn't have done it without my parents paying the lion's share.

The cost of a college education has grown exponentially since the 1970s.

Will tuition ever stop increasing

Since 1978, college tuition and fees have increased by a whopping 1,120%. During that same period, the price of food has increased 244% and medical expenses 601%. In fact, tuition prices have gone up four times faster than the consumer price index, according to a report by Bloomberg.

DR. FICHTENBAUM: One of the most important factors driving price at public colleges and universities has been the decline in state support for higher education. Between 1987 and 2012, in real dollars, government support has declined from $8,497 to $5,906 per student.

ENLARGE
--
The second major culprit is rising costs. Critics of higher education often blame faculty salaries for rising costs. However, when measured in constant dollars, salaries for full-time faculty at public institutions have actually declined. What is driving costs is the metastasizing army of administrators with bloated salaries, and our university presidents who are now paid as though they were CEOs running a business—and not a very successful one at that.

There is also the growth in entertainment spending and spending on amenities. Many universities claim that they must compete and therefore have borrowed millions to build luxury dorms, new dining halls and rock-climbing walls. They also spend millions subsidizing intercollegiate athletics.

Whatever... you're not listening. Like I said, I had to forgo the "college experience" and be a commuter, part-time student in order to get my education. I couldn't afford to go off to college, live in a dorm, etc.

It can, and is being done all over this country. You're being childish and close-minded.

However, I can not recall an adult EVER using the term "good grades" while discussing requirements for college. GPA and community involvement....never "good grades"...unless they are telling a child "get good grades and you can become anything you want".

Wow.

That's "SHE." Obviously you could use a better education and a class in reading comprehension. Unless of course, you are calling me a "he" to try to insult me because you have no argument and no statistics or links to back up any of your assertions . . . :D Typical of the loons around here.
Unless a poster informs the board members of details on their identity, each of us anonymous.

Yes, and I'm not using anecdotes, am I? I'm using facts and statistics.

ENLARGE
--

Wow.

So tell me . . . since you people want to use "how it was when you went to college," what decade were you attending college? I notice you are ALL hesitant to provide that data.

I addressed every one of your assertions, and well I might add.

You seriously believe that? Wow. Try re-reading the discussion. For example, I have presented twice to you the point that minimum wage doesn't raise wages, it simply prevents those not worth the wage from getting a job. It's a hurdle, not a tide. If you don't know that a couple bucks an hour changes the quality of employee you can hire at the low end then all I can say is you've never hired hourly workers.

You have given zero response to that, you simply repeated your baseless assertion that minimum wages mean the same people will earn more. You have not explained how you know more about that then experienced hiring managers or the field of economics. The economic value of workers is a normal distribution. If you raise the line at the low end of the bell curve of what you can hire, employers move up the distribution curve and hire the better workers available for the higher price.

Suppose you want to toast bread. There is a push button toaster available for $20, it meets your needs. You see a $30 toaster oven that would allow you to bake things in addition to toast. You decide you don't need that, you'll use your regular oven, you don't bake much. It's not worth the extra $10 to you.

Then government comes in and says toasters cannot be sold for less than $30. Now, do you pay $30 for the toaster worth $20? Or do you buy the $30 toaster that also bakes? Which do you think hiring managers do?

So what about addressing the point this ... third ... time. Hint, repeating your baseless assertion that workers need more money isn't addressing my point

Yes, I do. You make a lot of claims that aren't necessarily true. You have not yet backed up anything. Minimum wage has stagnated growth.

http://nelp.3cdn.net/02b725e73dc24e0644_0im6bkno9.pdf

What you seem to NOT understand is that, while the economy has grown exponentially, minimum wage has not. It used to be that a person could SURVIVE on a minimum wage job. Not the case anymore.

Your points don't make any sense and are NOT backed by any data. They are nothing but conservative talking points for the rich.
College tuition and the min wage are mutually exclusive.

You obviously haven't read any of the links, as that is not true at all.
Repeating the same nonsense does not make it any more factual.

ENLARGE
--

Wow.

You see, the more uneducated people in our society and the more poverty in our country leads to higher crime rates, more poverty, and we fall behind all of those other nations that provide their poor with more options.

Do you want a successful and prosperous America? Most people with a higher education will, in turn, contribute to the economy. The more poor people we have, the more we would have to spend on supporting those people and their children with social services. In fact, a lot of people who work full time STILL have to collect some form of social services.

You seriously believe that? Wow. Try re-reading the discussion. For example, I have presented twice to you the point that minimum wage doesn't raise wages, it simply prevents those not worth the wage from getting a job. It's a hurdle, not a tide. If you don't know that a couple bucks an hour changes the quality of employee you can hire at the low end then all I can say is you've never hired hourly workers.

You have given zero response to that, you simply repeated your baseless assertion that minimum wages mean the same people will earn more. You have not explained how you know more about that then experienced hiring managers or the field of economics. The economic value of workers is a normal distribution. If you raise the line at the low end of the bell curve of what you can hire, employers move up the distribution curve and hire the better workers available for the higher price.

Suppose you want to toast bread. There is a push button toaster available for $20, it meets your needs. You see a $30 toaster oven that would allow you to bake things in addition to toast. You decide you don't need that, you'll use your regular oven, you don't bake much. It's not worth the extra $10 to you.

Then government comes in and says toasters cannot be sold for less than $30. Now, do you pay $30 for the toaster worth $20? Or do you buy the $30 toaster that also bakes? Which do you think hiring managers do?

So what about addressing the point this ... third ... time. Hint, repeating your baseless assertion that workers need more money isn't addressing my point

Yes, I do. You make a lot of claims that aren't necessarily true. You have not yet backed up anything. Minimum wage has stagnated growth.

What you seem to NOT understand is that, while the economy has grown exponentially, minimum wage has not. It used to be that a person could SURVIVE on a minimum wage job. Not the case anymore.

Your points don't make any sense and are NOT backed by any data. They are nothing but conservative talking points for the rich.

It's not nonsense, I've provided you with links and statistics. Not my fault if you can't read or REFUSE to acknowledge the problems. ;)

So tell me, Mr. Thereisnospoon, in what decade did you attend college?

Wow.

Right...From just the right sources......Sure.

ENLARGE
--

Wow.

Since 1978, college tuition on average has increased 1120%.

Wow.

You see, the more uneducated people in our society and the more poverty in our country leads to higher crime rates, more poverty, and we fall behind all of those other nations that provide their poor with more options.

Do you want a successful and prosperous America? Most people with a higher education will, in turn, contribute to the economy. The more poor people we have, the more we would have to spend on supporting those people and their children with social services. In fact, a lot of people who work full time STILL have to collect some form of social services.
Blah blah blah,.....Yes. Lack of a college education ( free of course) creates more criminals.....Ahh boy.

Wow.

Right...From just the right sources......Sure.

College tuitions have increased more than 4 times faster than the consumer price index.

Wow.

Blah blah blah,.....Yes. Lack of a college education ( free of course) creates more criminals.....Ahh boy.

No, when you leave people destitute and desperate in poverty. More poverty = more crime.

Since 1978, college tuition on average has increased 1120%.

How about since 1994? That's the year I graduated with my Associates Degree (2 years) after having taken a grand total of $2000 in student loans; which were paid off well before they were required to be. I got the education I needed. I didn't waste my time getting over-educated for the career I wanted. I didn't incur massive debt while doing it.

It's not nonsense, I've provided you with links and statistics. Not my fault if you can't read or REFUSE to acknowledge the problems. ;)
Your statistics are self serving...For example, your link regarding the 26% of workers earning $10.55 or less.
It fails to take into account part time workers. Non adult workers. Retirees working part time.....Temporary workers.
There are no problems....Only challenges.
At the end of the day, your dream of a free college education for anyone who desires one is never going to happen.
so why are you wasting everyone's time here?

New Topics

Forum List

Back