A returning U.S. citizen's rights at the border

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1561664476371.jpg

Anyone who routine travels outside of the USA knows the situation faced upon returning. Hereā€™s something I bet very few know:

The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, but it doesn't apply at the U.S. border, says Georgetown law professor M. Tia Johnson, a former assistant secretary at the Department of Homeland Security.

Got that? You canā€™t refuse to let one of the screeners go through your things ā€“ including your electronic devices.

And, if you do refuse:

There is no limit on how long CBP officials can hold a U.S. citizen, but they usually don't hold people for more than several hours or overnight because courts may look upon the detention as unreasonable, per Cope.

I know this is going to seem stupid but the bottom line is ā€“ donā€™t try to bring anything back with you that you shouldnā€™t.

More @ A returning U.S. citizen's or green-card holder's rights at the border: What you need to know

I'm pretty sure even citizens come back from abroad with things they're not supposed to...

6a00e54f871a9c883301b8d25a3b38970c-pi

Any American who has ever traveled abroad and returned to the good old USA in the last freaking hundred years is aware of customs regulations. Why does it come as a surprise during a republican administration?

Any American who has ever traveled abroad and returned to the good old USA in the last freaking hundred years is aware of customs regulations. Why does it come as a surprise today?

Because ...

gop_2016_trump-4.jpg

Forum List

Back